Knicks Aren't Done; Looking For Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
The Knicks may not be done tinkering with their roster.

A day after acquiring Carmelo Anthony in a blockbuster deal with the Nuggets, Knicks president Donnie Walsh said he'll continue to seek a center prior to Thursday afternoon's NBA trade deadline.

Walsh admitted that he wasn't optimistic that he would be successful.

"We think we moved the rock ahead a little bit, but let's don't get carried away and think now we're challenging Miami, Boston and all these teams. We're just not there yet," coach Mike D'Antoni said.

D'Antoni said that Ronny Turiaf will be his starting center.
from ESPN.com via RealGM

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I heard Camby, but then also heard that talks stopped. :/

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
I think we should go after Camby big time. He averages around 11 Rebounds per game and around 2 blocks per game. He got 6 blocks on our team recently and 4 blocks in Boston who's in our Conference and Division. So he would be a key piece to a team as defenseless as the Knicks.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
They're definitely gonna take a shot at Camby. You also got players like Thabeet being shopped around, and the Knicks are looking at signing Earl Barron.

I assume they're gonna try and trade for someone like Camby before they resort to signing Barron.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
If Thabeet can play anything like he did his Junior year of College, he would be a great addition. If Earl Barron can play some serious ball, same would be said for him, but I think if Thabeet does what he did in College, he's a better choice then Camby or Barron. Camby is still my number 1 choice however.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What about Birdman Anderson? Or even a guy like Ben Wallace? Both are past their time, but could provide a little assistance.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
If they're on the market, they're worth it. However, I don't think Denver is giving us Birdman. If they were, he'd probably be here already haha

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
lmao, but I see a poll on RealGM says ' Would Zach Randolph improve Orlando's title chances ' I personally believe if we bring him back to New York, this time with other players around him, he could be a serious talent and we would have a better team.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
After looking-over some stats, I think the Knicks SHOULD go after Thabeet. Not a lot of teams will offer a lot for the "bust" because of his lack of offensive stats, but if you look at his numbers -- http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/thabeha01.html -- if he could turn those numbers into a consistent 36 mpg (which he didnt average last year and is playing less time this year) he can grab around 10 rebounds per game and block 3.5 shots per game! Thats exactly what the Knicks need under center. A young kid, 7'3", 263 lbs who can grab rebounds and block shots. They don't need a Center who can score, so this could be a great steal if Donnie can pull it off.

And his percentage last season was good. .588% from the field... just needs the minutes so he can develop, learn, and improve his game.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Speaking of not playing defense... We couldn't afford to start Randolph and Amar'e lol... Even though Randolph does rebound a ton. I don't think we have what it takes to get him, nor should we look to trade for him.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yep, let's just extrapolate stats and project them out to 36 minutes. If Thabeet is too bad to play for the Grizz, a team looking to shop and showcase him, then he isn't that good. Plus, he couldn't even play 36 minutes a game.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yep, let's just extrapolate stats and project them out to 36 minutes. If Thabeet is too bad to play for the Grizz, a team looking to shop and showcase him, then he isn't that good. Plus, he couldn't even play 36 minutes a game.
well how else you want me to predict the guys potential? lol. He couldnt start for them long enough because he doesn't score for shit, but he blocks a good number of shots and grabs rebounds.

I'd take my chances on Thabeet instead of Turiaf.

But to be quite honest, if we got Thabeet I'd expect and WANT him to play at most, 15mpg until he could prove he's improving all-around.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Look at Randolph's per 36 stats. Hell, remember Saer Sene? Look at his.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
just tryin to find a bright side in the kid's game. Not sayin hes gonna be a fuckin all-star.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
lmao, we're gonna have serious center troubles at this rate. I would love Thabeet, ONLY if he could play the way he did at the end of his college run, if not, he's of no value. Zach Randolph would be a great piece, but again, we traded half our team for Melo, so we have nothing for him. Turiaf is a pussyface, so we're screwed at Center.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Camby would be a great addition, but I dont see anything the Blazers would be willing to trade for him, since we dont have much outside of Billups, Melo, Amare and Fields.

Dont want Thabeet at all, and if we were to bring him in, he shouldnt start over Turiaf.

Barron will be the center we add.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
And I'm just saying that he sucks, sorry man.
no need to apologize, lol. I know he sucks, it's why he doesn't start. But my point is I believe he doesn't start more because of offensive productivity rather than defensive productivity. Im basing on stats because i've never seen him play in an NBA game. I saw plenty of his shotblocking ability in college, and if he averaged over 1 block per game while getting 13 mpg last season, then I'd take the chance and give him 10-15 mpg with the Knicks.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
like Dez said, it's gonna be Barron. However, Barron isn't the best guy we could get. He's just us settling. I think we need to take a chance and go after a guy with a little more upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%