John Farrell

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Is buying way into matchups and stats when he should just be managing the team as is.

Chris Young shouldn't start against every left-hander, especially if Holt or another player is a far better option.

Likewise, Ortiz shouldn't sit if there's a left-hander on the mound, when arguably he's our best hitter and has actually hit left-handers pretty well throughout his career.

Lastly, Farrell shouldn't go by the books so much with the bullpen. I get Kimbrel is our closer and Uehara is our 8th inning guy, but they don't have to be that 100% of the time. I think Farrell should anticipate when a change needs to be made (like most managers do) and make changes on the fly rather than go by the books 100% of the time.

Farrell's way of thinking is going to cost us games. Francona did the same thing in his later years and it cost us a lot of games.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Basic Logic:

* Left hander starts, Chris Young plays, even though he's only a so-so hitter against left-handers. Brock Holt sits because he's left-handed, even though he's the better overall hitter.
*Let's play into left-handed / right-handed matchups, which means switching out a pitcher to pitch to one guy in a lineup.

Stupid poor choices. I wish Farrell wouldn't rely so much on left-handed / right-handed match-ups and just play the best players. He's reading into things way too much, changing lineups, killing momentum.

Mudge

Reaction score
Right now, the Red Sox offense is doing the damage (so to speak), not Farrell.

It's well into the season, and the leading hitter (who is not a DH) on the team is Travis Shaw. The last week in particular has been pathetic. Farrell cannot be blamed for the lack of production from Betts, Pedroia, Bogaerts, and Ramirez (most of whom play on a regular basis).

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mudge said:
Right now, the Red Sox offense is doing the damage (so to speak), not Farrell.

It's well into the season, and the leading hitter (who is not a DH) on the team is Travis Shaw. The last week in particular has been pathetic. Farrell cannot be blamed for the lack of production from Betts, Pedroia, Bogaerts, and Ramirez (most of whom play on a regular basis).
True. I actually like Farrell, and I don't think he's the whole problem at all, though I do think he could make some better decisions.

Mudge

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
True. I actually like Farrell, and I don't think he's the whole problem at all, though I do think he could make some better decisions.
Maybe, but at least tonight the offense is off to a good start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%