Joe Webb, recognize

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A day after the 2010 NFL draft was over, 1 name really stuck with me: Joe Webb. The very long & very athletic quarterback from UAB was taken by the Vikings late. My addiction to Joe Webb began with a YouTube video of him performing, (what has to be some kind of record), a ridiculous vertical leap over 8 or 9 stacked up dummies. Fast-forward to now and I am licking my chops at how good this guy has the potential to be in the NFL.

Though Webb entered the draft as a WR, early news coming out of Minny's camps are that Webb is opening eyes with his work at quarterback. Joe Webb the quarterback of Minnesota's future? Really? Yes.....

Joe Webb could be the Vikings' quarterback of the future

Drafted as a receiver in round six of the 2010 draft, Joe Webb has shown the Vikings that maybe, just maybe, he could develop into the team's quarterback of the future, according to Sid Hartman of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

"If you look at Joe Webb, he was a very good quarterback at the University of Alabama-Birmingham," V.P. of player personnel Rick Spielman told Hartman. "He actually threw for over 2,000 yards and rushed for over 1,500 yards. But he is such a unique athlete that everybody was looking at him as a receiver, and possibly looking at him as a Josh Cribbs-type, who plays up in Cleveland, who actually was a quarterback."

One of the factors that has the Vikings considering Webb at quarterback? The size of his hands.

"His hands are 11 inches long. How we measure them is from the tip of the thumb all the way out to the end of the pinky, and he, by far, has tremendous sized hands," Spielman said. "[That's] a huge asset not only as a receiver, but what we found out is, as we were going through that rookie minicamp, he was out there working as a receiver, and coach [Brad] Childress said, 'Let's just throw him and throw some 1-on-1 drills and see what kind of arm he has.' And he was very impressive that one day we put him out."

Webb showed enough to persuade the Vikings to convert him to quarterback, and he has done well enough to leapfrog Sage Rosenfels at last weekend's mandatory minicamp.

"[W]e'll see what we decide to do with him when we come back at training camp," Spielman said. "But again, you can't deny, you can't teach the athletic skills that Joe Webb has."

And so, four years after the Vikings used a second-round pick on a quarterback from Alabama State who never has quite fulfilled his potential, they may have found their long-term answer by accident via a school in the same state.

Mooche

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of hype around him. He's the definition of project. He is an athletic freak of nature, and so was T-Jack, maybe not to this degree but to be successful in this league at QB you have to study and analyze the game like none other. Not only that, but you can't win big games based on just being an athlete. Hopefully he develops regardless for the Vikes.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of hype around him. He's the definition of project. He is an athletic freak of nature, and so was T-Jack, maybe not to this degree but to be successful in this league at QB you have to study and analyze the game like none other. Not only that, but you can't win big games based on just being an athlete. Hopefully he develops regardless for the Vikes.
Definitely a project quarterback but so is Josh Freeman.

Mooche

Reaction score
Definitely a project quarterback but so is Josh Freeman.
Josh Freeman also has a lot of necessary tools to be a solid NFL QB. He needs to learn the mental side of the game, if he can grasp that, he will be fine.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Josh Freeman also has a lot of necessary tools to be a solid NFL QB. He needs to learn the mental side of the game, if he can grasp that, he will be fine.
Learning the mental side of the game is all that will ever keep Joe Webb from taking snaps on the NFL gridiron. Freeman is a physical specimen, very athletic, and Webb is no different.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does he look a little like Pat White in that picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%