JJ Watt has Back Surgery, out 6-8 weeks

CoachAF

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17121935/jj-watt-houston-texans-back-surgery-ok-season-opener

Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt has undergone back surgery, sources told ESPN on Thursday, in what was the second surgery in six months for the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year.
The Texans are optimistic Watt will be ready to play at the start of the regular season. But sources told ESPN's Tania Ganguli there was concern his availability for the early part of the season could be compromised.

Twitter has been abuzz about this. Some think it will be more like 10 weeks. 6 weeks puts him ready to play by September 1st, only 10 days before Opening Day. 8 weeks means he will miss the first game of the season. 

I am thinking that the Texans will take a cautious approach with the Week 3 Thursday Night Football match-up against the Patriots as his return date. We shouldn't necessarily need JJ against the Bears in Week 1, and asking him to play 2 games in 5 days in Week 2/3 might be asking much for just coming off surgery. Week 3 seems the most logical time to return. Of course, JJ doesn't fit the normal mold of anything so he could bust his butt and be completely healthy in the 6 weeks. Who knows? Every surgery and recovery is a bit different. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
this could be pretty big for them. hope it doesn't affect him

CoachAF

Reaction score
Papa Pugzo said:
this could be pretty big for them. hope it doesn't affect him

My biggest worry is that this will be a recurring injury. Back issues don't usually just go away. He might be dealing with this the rest of his career. 

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
CoachAF said:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17121935/jj-watt-houston-texans-back-surgery-ok-season-opener

Twitter has been abuzz about this. Some think it will be more like 10 weeks. 6 weeks puts him ready to play by September 1st, only 10 days before Opening Day. 8 weeks means he will miss the first game of the season. 

I am thinking that the Texans will take a cautious approach with the Week 3 Thursday Night Football match-up against the Patriots as his return date. We shouldn't necessarily need JJ against the Bears in Week 1, and asking him to play 2 games in 5 days in Week 2/3 might be asking much for just coming off surgery. Week 3 seems the most logical time to return. Of course, JJ doesn't fit the normal mold of anything so he could bust his butt and be completely healthy in the 6 weeks. Who knows? Every surgery and recovery is a bit different. 

Dude the Bears will probably beat Houston even if JJ Watt plays. Chicago isn't going to be a great team, by any means, but the NFCN is stacked and the AFCS is...well, lol. Brockweiler has to be very good or Houston will struggle to go 8-8. 

CoachAF

Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:

Dude the Bears will probably beat Houston even if JJ Watt plays. Chicago isn't going to be a great team, by any means, but the NFCN is stacked and the AFCS is...well, lol. Brockweiler has to be very good or Houston will struggle to go 8-8. 

lol. We won 9 games last year with Hoyer/Mallett/Yates/Weeden.....In case you haven't noticed, our defense is pretty darn good. 3rd in the NFL last year, and that was after a really slow start for them. Now, JJ is a big part of that defense, but the guys around him are pretty darn good too. I'm just not as worried about the Bears in Week 1 as I am the Chiefs/Patriots in weeks 2/3. That's all my point was. The Bears can have their moments with Cutler, but a lot of their success depends on his performance which is always seems inconsistent. The AFC South was down big time last year, but a lot of that has to do with the ridiculous amount of injuries the Colts suffered, Luck being the most important of course. The Colts will be better this year, and the Titans/Jags have made some interesting moves in the draft and free agency. Don't sleep on the South, but I will admit it is among the weaker of the divisions in football. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%