Jets look to make playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
While the newly-minted Winnipeg Jets haven't made a lot of personnel changes, this has been an incredibly busy summer in Manitoba.

The Jets are back in the NHL after a 15-year hiatus, and there has been plenty of work to be done in order for the organization to be ready since True North Sports and Entertainment Ltd. agreed to a deal to purchase the Atlanta Thrashers on May 31 with the plan of moving the club to Winnipeg.

"We've hit the ground running here. Everything is happening is so fast," coach Claude Noel said. "Normally [this] is the offseason but for us it felt like being in season with trying to get things started. You just try to use everyday to try and continue to build and be ready for this. [Fans] are pretty passionate up here. They've been out of the National League for 15 years, and I think it is going to be quite the frenzy up here."
True North hired Kevin Cheveldayoff to be the general manager, and he then brought in Noel to coach and filled out the rest of the staff both on the ice and off. Noel was an interim coach with the Columbus Blue Jackets and knows the market well from his time as coach of the Manitoba Moose in the American Hockey League.

There are plenty of people in the organization, from players to different staff departments, who have prior connections to the Moose and that could help ease the transition.

The Jets are expected to play in front of sold-out crowds all season at the MTS Centre, and while the building will be the League'e smallest, the intimate setting could also prove to be one of the NHL's most raucous atmospheres.

"I think it will be good for our players from a standpoint of knowing that you're going to have a lot of people in support of you and cheering for you," Noel said. "We hope it possibly leads to more home wins than in the past.

"There's an accountability factor here, where it is a full building and it is in Canada with the fans watching games here and having opinions and there is so much media attention. From an accountability standpoint, I think that is good."

While the anticipation for the return of the Jets is high, they will need to improve on the ice for the organization to contend for a playoff berth after missing out the past the four seasons.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
It would be a stretch, but they might have a chance

Mr.Baller

Reaction score
They have great talent but still not a playoff team ... It's like the leafs last year they could make it to the playoffs but after that they aint a big team to win it all .

TTN2810

Reaction score
They could, but they're too young I think yet. Next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%