Jerry Jones Had To Be Physically Stopped From Drafting Manziel

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I could just see Jones grabbing Manziel with the 16th choice of the first round, Dent writes. I wrote a book about Jerry Jones in 1995 titled King of the Cowboys. I know the Boss Hog. I knew that Jones hands were shaking when the Cowboys went on the clock with Manziel still on the board. I could envision Jones scribbling the name of Johnny Manziel on the draft card. Indeed, all of these things happened.

As it turned out, Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones had snatched the Manziel card straight out of his dads hand. Otherwise, Jerry would have drafted him and JFF would have sat for at least three years behind Tony Romo.
http://uproxx.com/sports/2014/08/so-jerry-jones-had-to-be-physically-stopped-from-drafting-johnny-manziel/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+uproxx%2Ffeatures+%28Uproxx%29

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
I can still picture that live shot of the Cowboys room when their pick was on the clock.  Jerry looked so calm and collected and everyone was shocked that Manziel wasn't the pick.  That's funny that this happened.  He probably looked so calm and cool because he was in deep thought wondering if he could kill his own son.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
I would have loved to have taken a chance on Johnny, but give me this fantastic offensive line over him any damn day. Finally, Romo is protected. Finally, our backs have some damn blocking. 

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
Mobruler said:
I can still picture that live shot of the Cowboys room when their pick was on the clock.  Jerry looked so calm and collected and everyone was shocked that Manziel wasn't the pick.  That's funny that this happened.  He probably looked so calm and cool because he was in deep thought wondering if he could kill his own son.

I lol'd

dsmatheny88

Reaction score
I love this. Not because I was completely against us drafting Manziel, but because it really shows how the good direction our team has been headed in over these past two years has had more to do with Stephen Jones then Jerry. Maybe it will begin to make Jerry realize that it's time to hand the GM title over to Stephen. Stephen Jones has been around football his entire life. That's what he knows best. Jerry's expertise is the business side of things. He didn't grow up around a football organization his entire life like his son has. I think Stephen Jones is going to do great the day his dad finally let's him take over and just sticks to the business side

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
Romo is fine. I think what Bware said was fine. Not sure why Jerry wanted to go with Johnny. It's probably all the hype and shit. It's like a Jets move

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%