Jared Allen headed to Vikings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From espn.com
Jared Allen, the franchise player for the Kansas City Chiefs, is heading to a new franchise, the Minnesota Vikings, according to multiple sources.

Late Tuesday night, the Chiefs and the Vikings reached an agreement on a trade package, and at roughly the same time, Allen reached an agreement in principle on a contract with the Vikings. Upon reaching the contract agreement, Allen headed to the airport and left for Minnesota.

Terms of the trade and deal weren't immediately available. The Vikings had been offering a first- and a third-round choice in 2008. There have been reports that they might include a second-round pick in 2009, but those details weren't immediately available.

Allen, a fourth-year defensive end out of Idaho State, led the league in sacks last season with 15½.

The Chiefs, who are trying to get younger, now have the fifth pick in the first round and presumably the Vikings pick, which is the 17th. Allen had made it clear to the Chiefs that he wouldn't sign a long-term deal with the team.

Now, the Chiefs can use the fifth pick in the first round to find a pass-rushing replacement, either Vernon Gholston of Ohio State or Chris Long of Virginia.
:(

sad to know he's gone, but at least we got some nice picks out of it. 2 top 17 picks. Now I REALLY hope somehow we can get Chris Long at 5.

And the Vikings are getting themselves a beast

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Huh...wonder who they gave up.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They gave up a 2008 1st (17th overall), 2008 3rd rounder, and possibly a 2009 2nd round pick.

vikesfan

Reaction score
We gave up our first and 2 third round picks. I'm so excited, but I'm going to be bored at the Vikings draft party (especially since the party is only as long as the first round).

But hey, we finally have a desent DE. How you like my defensive line now?

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Trust me vikesfan, you guys will love Allen. He's such a good guy. Only negative thing was those 2 DUI's but that was last year and solved. He's AMAZING. Led the NFL in sacks. Nice character. I seriously will be cheering for him in Minnesota.

vikesfan

Reaction score
Trust me vikesfan, you guys will love Allen. He's such a good guy. Only negative thing was those 2 DUI's but that was last year and solved. He's AMAZING. Led the NFL in sacks. Nice character. I seriously will be cheering for him in Minnesota.
oh, trust me, I've been watching him. I'm a big football buff. I especially loved the play he did against us last year where he ripped the ball right out of AD's hands.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They gave up a 2008 1st (17th overall), 2008 3rd rounder, and possibly a 2009 2nd round pick.
Oh ok. I updated the SI NFL Mock Draft, so you got #17 as well now K2D.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yep so much for me signing up, I guess with the 17th pick I'm taking Allen lol
Ha, you could take another team if you want. Still several people with multiple teams.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Official trade

Chiefs get Vikings 1st (17th), and the Vikings two third rounders (73rd and 82th this year)

so 17th, 73rd, 82nd overall picks for Allen basically.

This means the Chiefs in the first day alone have the 5th, 17th, 35th, 66th, 73rd, 82nd picks in the draft.

monster

Reaction score
wut other picks do the vikings have first day
?

and this is becuse of the leukimia to Udeze right :(

Grandy28

Victory!!!!
Reaction score
Beastly player going to a beastly defensive line. I don't like the sound of Allen and the Williams in the middle.

vikesfan

Reaction score
Beastly player going to a beastly defensive line. I don't like the sound of Allen and the Williams in the middle.
I do I do :D

And Arab the vikings still have their second round pick. I didn't help that Udeze had Leukemia, but I think they picked up Allen simply because we haven't had much luck at drafting defensive ends since the mid 80's. It also helped that we had extra picks from some previous trades so it didn't hurt that much.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Sad to see him go. but i'm glad we got some picks for him. I can;'t waitto see what we do with these picks.

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I do I do :D

And Arab the vikings still have their second round pick. I didn't help that Udeze had Leukemia, but I think they picked up Allen simply because we haven't had much luck at drafting defensive ends since the mid 80's. It also helped that we had extra picks from some previous trades so it didn't hurt that much.
Udeze hasn't been doing much before hand anyways.

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well he did, but they aren't talked about as much. He constantly got pressure on the quarterback, just never got many sacks.
I watch a few Vikings games a year, due to my family being Viking fans. The games I watched he didn't get through that much. Well anyways Allen is an upgrade over Udeze.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I know Vikesfan loves this pick-up and so do I. Even though there's no draft excitement for me now that the Vikes dealt most of their high picks...Jared Allen is a SURE thing that is already proven NFL talent. The guy is a "sack magnet" that is going to make our D-Line complete hell to deal with.

Look at Allen's numbers with the Chiefs & their D-Line...now imagine Allen pass rushing on the outside of the Williams Wall...

Pick #17...meh...won't miss it too much. Didn't see any D-Lineman around at 17 actually worth the pick & I didnt want to walk out of the first round with another Defensive Back.

vikesfan

Reaction score
I know Vikesfan loves this pick-up and so do I. Even though there's no draft excitement for me now that the Vikes dealt most of their high picks...Jared Allen is a SURE thing that is already proven NFL talent. The guy is a "sack magnet" that is going to make our D-Line complete hell to deal with.

Look at Allen's numbers with the Chiefs & their D-Line...now imagine Allen pass rushing on the outside of the Williams Wall...

Pick #17...meh...won't miss it too much. Didn't see any D-Lineman around at 17 actually worth the pick & I didnt want to walk out of the first round with another Defensive Back.
AE, welcome back buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%