Jags looking at Cowher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
By now, you probably know that Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio is on shaky ground. His team is 1-2 and this is likely a win-now situation or he's gone. But what's interesting about that is this: He is the only person of substance inside the Jaguars building that is not in the final year of their contract. That includes general manager Gene Smith, his staff and all the assistant coaches. Owner Wayne Weaver opted against giving Del Rio's assistants extensions, which puts them in tough positions since they know that with Del Rio's head on the chopping block they have to be prepared to move on. As for Smith and his staff, that makes little sense. If he has the keys to rebuild the team, which is what Weaver has said many times in the past since promoting him to run things, shouldn't he have more years on his contract? I think Smith deserves that. If Del Rio is let go -- and facing New Orleans, Pittsburgh and Baltimore in the next four games he is staring 2-5 or 1-6 in the face - expect to see either offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter or defensive coordinator Mel Tucker named interim coach. As for the future, who knows? But if Smith is going to remain in charge with building this team into a contender, he needs more job security. If he isn't, then is begs this question: Is Weaver ready to turn to a coach/general manager type?
Since Pete Prisco actually has an inside source with the Jags organization its been clear that hes hinting around to Bill Cowher. Bill Cowher didn't really come out of retirement for the past few years because he wants to be in charge of all the roster moves and drafting process. Much like Bill Belichick is in New England, and teams weren't offering that.

Since this is GM Gene Smiths last year along with Jack Del Rios staff, seems clear that if things don't shape up, Jags could be well on their way to getting Bill Cowher to just run the team.

Last time the Jags had a situation like this it both helped and burned them.. With Tom Coughlin.

Rice18

I'm emotionally vested in me.
Reaction score
Cowher won't come back to build a team.

I guarantee he isn't going to Jacksonville/LA.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Cowher won't come back to build a team.

I guarantee he isn't going to Jacksonville/LA.
Fail to see where you think the Jaguars need building.

Keep trollin'

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Love that you also made a LA reference..

Your piece of shit team.. (Not talking about your Pats or Bears) your bitch ass Vikequeens have a better shot.

Rice18

I'm emotionally vested in me.
Reaction score
Lol, I am the one trolling ?

Where is Flow or iRph to ask you why you always think I troll.

I mean seriously....

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Lol, I am the one trolling ?

Where is Flow or iRph to ask you why you always think I troll.

I mean seriously....
You don't add any substance to the topic, you just say something to unsettle other members of the board. Funny that you keep doing it considering that you're on your last strike here..

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
If the Jaguars managed to get Bill Cowher, it would be a completely different team. It's just time for the Jaguars to move on without Jack Del Rio, he just isn't getting the job done in Jacksonville.

swoosh

Reaction score
Wishful thinking/speculation from a Jags insider.

Don't get your hopes up. It ain't happenin'.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I can't picture Cowher coaching a team that doesn't have an established, reliable QB. I mean yeah, full control is extremely important but it's much deeper than that.

In the end, it's not about whether the Jags want Bill Cowher but rather does Bill Cowher want the Jags?

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score

You do know Prisco doesn't work for the Jaguars.. he works for CBS.

Theres a better chance of it happening than you think.

Wish we would of kept Mike Smith.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
I can't picture Cowher coaching a team that doesn't have an established, reliable QB. I mean yeah, full control is extremely important but it's much deeper than that.

In the end, it's not about whether the Jags want Bill Cowher but rather does Bill Cowher want the Jags?
QB of the future, good Oline, Top 10 TE, Top 10 Defense.. Full control of team, Great weather.. etc..

Good reasons to.

Oh, and MJD

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score

I think there's a chance that it could happen. Jack Del Rio is definitely going to be getting canned at some point. Whether or not it's Cowher, that's real questionable. Will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

swoosh

Reaction score
I think there's a chance that it could happen. Jack Del Rio is definitely going to be getting canned at some point. Whether or not it's Cowher, that's real questionable. Will be interesting to see what happens going forward.
Yeah, I just don't see Cowher coming out of retirement for Jacksonville.

swoosh

Reaction score
You do know Prisco doesn't work for the Jaguars.. he works for CBS.

Theres a better chance of it happening than you think.

Wish we would of kept Mike Smith.
Yup, I know.

Matter of fact, you're right. I think there's a 0.00000000001% chance, when in reality it's probably somewhere around 1.69%.

Yeah, Smith was a great find. Nobody outside of Jacksonville knew him. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If he did want to come out of retirement, it's not that bad of a gig for him. He gets to live in a nice location, and you're really not going to get criticized much there.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Yeah, Smith was a great find. Nobody outside of Jacksonville knew him. Hindsight is 20/20 though.
Really wrong there.

Smith wasn't some Gem..

He was the DC.. dude was known.

SMH.

swoosh

Reaction score
Really wrong there.

Smith wasn't some Gem..

He was the DC.. dude was known.

SMH.
Dude was barely known at the time. Yes, he was the DC, but he came out of nowhere to get the ATL job. Everybody questioned the move and was surprised. Your average NFL fan had no clue who he was, so no I'm not wrong.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Dude was barely known at the time. Yes, he was the DC, but he came out of nowhere to get the ATL job. Everybody questioned the move and was surprised. Your average NFL fan had no clue who he was, so no I'm not wrong.
Wrong again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%