Is Jay Cutler a franchise quarterback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooche

Reaction score
According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, Jay Cutler has not yet proved he is a franchise quarterback. A franchise quarterback, which is what the Bears believed they were getting when they mortgaged two drafts to acquire Cutler from the Denver Broncos, ultimately is given that label because he makes the players around him better. It's difficult to argue that Cutler made those around him better in 2009. Sure, a few receivers made a few plays here and there and tight end Greg Olsen caught eight touchdown passes (three in a 41-21 loss to the Arizona Cardinals), but you can't say Cutler elevated the play of his teammates.

The Bears were dysfunctional on that side of the ball, and the team is hoping the blame belongs more with Ron Turner's old playbook than anything else. Because above and beyond all other factors entering the 2010 season, it's about Cutler guiding the Bears. The Bears paid handsomely because they were tired of trying to be perfect in all other areas and get by with a "game manager" at quarterback. They wanted their own big-time quarterback who could make up for deficiencies in other areas. They wanted a passer who could lead them back when the game was on the line. They wanted a passer that could put a game away for them in the second half so they didn't have to rely on a teetering defense and special teams.

Yes, the offensive line will be a major factor in the success level of the Bears and Cutler in 2010, but he was given a $30 million extension last fall for one good reason: it's on him to lead the Bears. He has to play better. Martz's system is predicated on timing and accurate passing. Cutler must improve his 60.5 percent completion ratio from 2009. It goes without saying he's got to cut down the interceptions and become a little more discriminatory where they're thrown. Basically, he's got to be a Pro Bowl-caliber player, something he was far from a year ago. With the addition of Martz, history would indicate he has an opportunity to improve significantly.

Thought this could heat up some good discussion.

I truly don't feel he is a franchise quarterback, and overall I believe that the term "franchise quarterback" has been tossed around way to loosely. In Denver, he had a lot of targets including a very good WR in Brandon Marshall. Moving to Chicago, without as many weapons, he got completely exposed and again, his attitude was showing. He reminds me of the spoiled little brat who can't get the toy he wants at the store, he whines to refs all the time and always seems to be crying about something when the game is not going his way. That isn't leadership. That's bull<Censored>. Look at premier guys like Manning, Brees and Brady. You may see them complaining, but they are not up in the face of the ref pleading for a call like Cutler does. Cutler at the end of the day in my eyes goes down as a better than average QB, but at this point in time nothing more.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Pre last season I thought that he made Marshall, not the other way around. I still think that Marshall is a bit overrated, but that's not the question at hand.

Is Cutler a franchise quarterback? I have to say yes, for right now.

His last season was statistically better than Eli Mannings was in 07, and he doesn't have that runningback trio to help him.

In 09 Cutler threw 27 touchdowns and 26 interceptions; however, he posted a better completion percentage and quarterback rating, and threw for more yards than Manning did that season.

Manning had better targets too.

And people thought that he was a franchise quarterback.

I think given one season in that offense may help him out for next season.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I have to say an Eli Manning comparison doesn't sell me on Jay Cutler being a franchise quarterback. Manning is more of a franchise quarterback because of the media hype, his market, and his name-sake, more than anything. Not saying Eli isn't a good quarterback but I don't see him as being a great quarterback.

Now onto Jay...he's no franchise quarterback, matter of fact, I don't find him to be much of a leader. Shannahan had that kid on leash from day 1 and the minute he was fired, Cutler's bad attitude came out. I see a lot of natural, physical talent from Jay and I think he throws a nice ball...but I can't see him the long-term field general in Chicago. Given what we already know, frustration in his offense, his coaches, lack of wins, etc, is all it will take for Jay to demand a trade or release.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
He needs someone like Mike to ride his ass.

He doesn't have that in Lovie, which is why Lovie probably will be out of a job at the end of this season.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I think Jay Cutler is a very good quarterback and Ive seen him do pretty amazing things in the NFL. I think if placed in a proper system he can succeed like any other QB. He isnt as clutch as Eli is, but I think he has a better arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%