Is Cam Newton the least experienced passer?

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This was an interesting question that I read another forum.

Has an NFL quarterback ever had success, or even been drafted, that had fewer than 300 passing attempts in their division one career? Adding JUCO, FCS, DII etc. attempts doesn't count, FBS career only.

The only one that I or anyone else could come up with was Matt Cassel, who would be the obvious one... outside of that, I couldn't find one.

I believe the closest would be Mike Vick with a little over 330. Rhett Bomar had a little over 300 before transferring, and Matt Flynn had just over 400.

This would make Cam Newton the least experienced passer out of college outside of Cassel. Newton has only 290 pass attempts at the D1 level.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mark Sanchez didn't have that much experience going in the draft, not sure exactly how many attempts he had though.

Mooche

Reaction score
It's an interesting number, that's for sure.

I mean, the stats don't lie with what exactly he did though. Auburn was a run-first team, there is no doubt about that, but he still managed to toss for 30 TDs, and he was only picked 7 times.

Simple reads, sure, and yeah he's going to need to do a lot of maturing. He does have a grocery list of questions, but any QB in this class if you break them down has a lot of the same ones.

Reaction score
Like the poster above me said, sure Auburn was a run-first team, but the passing numbers do speak for themselves. I also agree that he has the least experience passing methods (like he's not a great passer mechanics wise yet), but he will get there. Assuming he works hard, and doesn't sit on being content with his game like JaMarcus Russell did, I think he'll grow into a very good starting NFL QB.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Sanchez did though. He sat and actually learned the offense.

Totally different with Newton.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%