How to reopen the Bulls' title window

JohnnieDrama34

Reaction score
1.) Trade Jimmy Butler, Nikola Mirotic, Bobby Portis for Jae Crowder, Amir Johnson, and 2016 top 5 pick

2.) Make Al Horford the #1 target in F/A and sell him on the idea of playing alongside good friend Joakim Noah in a major market starving for another championship.

3.) Draft SF Jaylen Brown(Jason Richardson comparasions) with the Celtics pick and do everything in reasonable power to use their own lottery pick to move into the top 10(preferably trading Taj and future first round picks) and take SG Malik Beasley(pre Achilles injury Wes Matthews comparasions)

4.) potential 2016/2017 depth chart with their ages listed

PG - Derrick Rose - 28. $21 mill
SG - Malik Beasley - 20. $2.5 mil
SF - Doug McDermott - 24. $2.4 mil
PF - Al Horford - 30 $18.5 mil
C - Joakim Noah - 31. $10.5 mil

BN - Jae Crowder - 26. $7 mil
BN - Jaylen Brown - 20. $4 mil
BN - Amir Johnson - 29. $11 mil
BN - E'twan Moore - 26. $1 mil
= roughly $76 mil (manageable with the cap increase)

The perfect mix of veterans (Rose, Noah, Horford, Crowder) and promising young players (Brown, Beasley, McDermott) as well as a great mix of defense (Noah, Horford, Beasley, Crowder) and shooting (McDermott, Beasley, Dunleavy, Moore)

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Even if they were somehow able to make all of that happen, that team still doesn't make it out of the east.

I'm on my phone right now, and don't have a ton of time, so I'll try to go further in depth on this topic a bit later. Nice to see some Bulls talk.

JohnnieDrama34

Reaction score
The key is Derrick Rose

He can easily be an even better version of PRIME Tony Parker. The crazy dunking over everybody will never come back, but his quickness and explosiveness has 95% returned. For a good 6-7 week stretch he was averaging something like 22 and 7 on 50% shooting.

The injury questions will always persist and I think he's a max 70 game player at this point (smartly so) but if you surround him with enough defense and 3 point shooters...his skill that won him MVP at age 21!!!!!! never left him.

If you are going to chose between him and Jimmy ...Derrick makes most sense to keep because 1.) Jimmy trade value is wayyyyy higher and 2.) Rose has shown he can play hoiberg style of ball...Jimmy not so much + his ego is rubbing people the wrong way

JohnnieDrama34

Reaction score
Also for what it is worth....Doug McDermott shot 43% from 3 pt. Valuable asset in today's game.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That team has no chance against the Cavs. Any scenario in which you're depending on Noah or Rose is a losing one.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I'll take that trade, but that's really not enough for Chicago. Especially if the pick isn't in the Top 2

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Bulls title window will remain shut as long as Rose's albatross of a contract remains on the books.  It pains me to say that because I've mostly been an avid defender of Rose for the past 4+ years, but you can't have a guy making 20+ million per year giving you as little production as Rose.  Yes, he has shown small stretches of above average play, but when your "flashes" are 20 and 7 performances, that's just not good enough.  He earned that contract averaging 25 and 8, and he struggles to hit those marks on his best nights.  Add in his lethargic defense when fighting through screens, and the fact that he's almost guaranteed to miss 20 games a year, I just can't defend keeping Rose over Butler if I'm given the choice between the two.

I just can't see a scenario where someone would trade for Rose at the moment, but if I'm choosing between building around Rose or Butler, I'm taking the elite two way player.

I don't really have any ideas as far as trade scenarios or free agent predictions, though.  I also don't know if the Bulls actually want to move Butler.  It seems like they're kind of stuck in neutral with what I believe to be a lame duck head coach.  I'm not very optimistic, but I'm looking forward to seeing what direction they go this offseason.

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
1. Derrick Rose is completely washed. He will never return to MVP level.

2. Any scenario in which you're selling Jimmy Butler (the best player) and not getting another star to take his place (Horford? Come on...? Really?) is a guaranteed "no"

3. We are past the point of teams like the 04 Pistons who don't have a true star but just play team ball. The Celtics are the perfect example of this team (play hard defense, no true all-star leader, scrappy, etc.) and they weren't even able to make it past Atlanta who is just a slightly upgraded version of this philosophy. It doesn't work. You need at least two studs and a group of capable role players that can step up in games to have a shot in today's NBA.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
When exactly would that team compete for a title?

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thats that half assed rebuildig attempt that will keep you in the 5 to 9 seed limbo

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
"Rebuilding" is so hard in today's league

Boston absolutely nailed down the model for how to do it, but if they don't get Durant it won't even be that successful of a rebuild

You need stars to win and I fail to see how trading Butler helps the Bulls. If they want to move him to Boston I'm SO down, but they shouldn't at all

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
JohnnieDrama34 said:
The Derrick Rose hate in this thread is appalling
hes the 6th highest paid player in the league next year and he averaged 16/5

I don't see how you can't be critical

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Get rid of Rose's bitch ass and make this Jimmy's team. 

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
This isnt a good plan imo. Im the one on these forums saying Rose was back after he would have a 20 and 8 night every now and then. He doesnt have the same explosiveness that he once had, hes a nice player but not a 20 mill player like Hurricane said.

I would build with the 2 way player on the team and that is Butler. Noah is the heart of the team and yet his offensive game has completely disappeared. And Mirotic is hailed as some great shooter for spacing and his numbers fucking suck.

I would build around Butler and Portis, try to trade Rose for something although he wont get much value and he himself has stated that he is looking to get paid. He also cheated on his SAT so not winning too much on the whole character thing either.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jesus christ thats a lot to give up for crowder amir and a pick. Even if its the first pick

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Frontpage Stardom said:
This isnt a good plan imo. Im the one on these forums saying Rose was back after he would have a 20 and 8 night every now and then. He doesnt have the same explosiveness that he once had, hes a nice player but not a 20 mill player like Hurricane said.

I would build with the 2 way player on the team and that is Butler. Noah is the heart of the team and yet his offensive game has completely disappeared. And Mirotic is hailed as some great shooter for spacing and his numbers fucking suck.

I would build around Butler and Portis, try to trade Rose for something although he wont get much value and he himself has stated that he is looking to get paid. He also cheated on his SAT so not winning too much on the whole character thing either.
Noah never had an offensive game outside of his vision and passing ability.

His defense and leadership was crucial, though.

JohnnieDrama34

Reaction score
Mirotic is atrocious on defense and in last year of his deal

Throwing in Bobby Portis was a bit generous on my end however

JohnnieDrama34

Reaction score
You guys are in absolute denial about how close the Bulls truly are to a title. Jimmy needs to go for it to realistically happen within the next 5 years tho

JohnnieDrama34

Reaction score
If Bulls made the playoffs they would have taken the cavs to 6 games and this is with a flawed roster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%