Houston to announce comeback with Knicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Source: Houston to announce comeback with Knicks

Allan Houston is expected to announce his comeback with the Knicks in the next 24 hours, a source told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand.

HOUSTON Q&A
Why is Allan Houston attempting an NBA comeback? Chris Broussard talked to the former All-Star last month. Read the interview. Q&A

Houston, 36, said he wants to return to the NBA because he did not leave by choice. In 2005, Houston retired because of an arthritic left knee. He has not played a full NBA season since 2002-03, when he scored a career-high 22.5 points per game. Over the next two years, he only played 70 games.

"It's really like I never got to finish. You ever been cut off in midsentence and never been able to finish what you were saying? It feels like I get to finish now ... Of course I want to win, but this quest to me is more about being able to play again while I still can," Houston said in a recent interview with ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Houston said he still believes he can make an impact in the NBA.

"I believe I can still have an impact on the game. A lot of my friends and people are saying, 'You should go for three more years if you feel good!' I'm just thinking about this year right now. If things go like I think they will, playing longer would be something to think about," he said.

Houston, who worked as an analyst for ESPN last season, was given a much-criticized $100 million, six-year contract extension in 2001 from the Knicks. The deal made him virtually untradeable once he began to get hurt and crippled the Knicks' ability to make moves because of salary cap woes.

Houston averaged 17.3 points during his 12 NBA seasons. He shot 40.2 percent from 3-point range.

After spending his first three seasons in Detroit, Houston signed with the Knicks, who hoped he would be the outside shooting complement they needed to Patrick Ewing.

Houston helped New York to an improbable spot in the 1999 NBA Finals, when his running jumper in the closing seconds of the deciding Game 5 knocked off the top-seeded Miami Heat in the first round.
Dang I really didn't want to see this happen.

bulls12

Reaction score
it's becoming the thing to do after MJ did it 10 years ago. Penny Hardaway, and now Allan Houston. at least Reggie Miller and Charles Oakley decided against it.

i personally don't think it's right to come back after already proving yourself to the NBA. it doesn't allow younger players to get better.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pippen TRIED it too.

Sabbath

Reaction score
it's becoming the thing to do after MJ did it 10 years ago. Penny Hardaway, and now Allan Houston. at least Reggie Miller and Charles Oakley decided against it.

i personally don't think it's right to come back after already proving yourself to the NBA. it doesn't allow younger players to get better.

It's not like Allan Houston has a legacy, even Charles Oakley has somewhat of a legacy. So I don't really think this is a wrong thing to do.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
So I don't really think this is a wrong thing to do.
But he'll prolly barley play. Knees are bad and once they go out due to arthritis or something (xpesially when your old) they will keep hurting.

Sabbath

Reaction score
But he'll prolly barley play. Knees are bad and once they go out due to arthritis or something (xpesially when your old) they will keep hurting.
yea, but he's making a <Censored>load of cash.

bulls12

Reaction score
yes, i'd say money has something to do with it every single time. that's why some players just don't want to quit.

R6Vox

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with Houston coming back. I think the guy is like forth in Knicks all-time scoring and was a big part of their success in the 90's. It's not like he's coming back to play for a big contender just to win a ring or anything. The guy likes New York and it's the only team he wants to play for. Yeah, I would be pissed if he came back just to join the Celtics or some nonsense. I think this will please some Knicks fans. After all the bs they've been through these last few years, I think it was great to bring him back and to avert the attention off of the I.T. trial. They said the man can still shoot, if his legs can still take the wear, I think he'll be fine.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wonder what dez is thinking about this
I want to get one thing straight, I love Allan Houston, he is one of my all-time favorite Knicks, I hurt bad to see him have to retire b/c of his legs. But him returning is the wrong thing to do, I mean his jumper is probably nasty...still. But he is just taking up money and roster space. He's not gonna come in and pick up where he left off, if anything he'll be the second or third man off the bench and provide veteran leadership, Im happy to see that he still loves NY and NY still loves him, but when your times up its up.

R6Vox

Reaction score
I want to get one thing straight, I love Allan Houston, he is one of my all-time favorite Knicks, I hurt bad to see him have to retire b/c of his legs. But him returning is the wrong thing to do, I mean his jumper is probably nasty...still. But he is just taking up money and roster space. He's not gonna come in and pick up where he left off, if anything he'll be the second or third man off the bench and provide veteran leadership, Im happy to see that he still loves NY and NY still loves him, but when your times up its up.
I kind of agree with the "he's taking up money and roster space" comment but he should be given a chance though. No one knows how any of these comeback stories are going to unravel this season until we actually get to see these guys out there. Anfernee Hardaway.... Allen Houston....who knows. It'll be interesting.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I kind of agree with the "he's taking up money and roster space" comment but he should be given a chance though. No one knows how any of these comeback stories are going to unravel this season until we actually get to see these guys out there. Anfernee Hardaway.... Allen Houston....who knows. It'll be interesting.

Thats true, but lets be serious Allan Houston isnt the missing link between us winning a championship and contending for a playoff spot. Thus the "he's taking up money and space" comment but I am happy see him back, is not for a ring but for the love of the game. I hope he wins comeback player of he year. (if thats an award)

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd rather see the Knicks give Nichols a chance over Houston.

nelsogotskillz

Reaction score
Should be really interesting to see him play.

If he can come in and hit 50% of his jumpers for us, he might get 15 minutes a game, just because our 3 point shooting was so bad last year.

I still think we're stocking up to make a huge blockbuster.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd rather see the Knicks give Nichols a chance over Houston.

I'd like to see us keep both, Houston could teach Nichols ALOT.

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Houston isn't even going to make the team, so you can all just calm down...

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd like to see us keep both, Houston could teach Nichols ALOT.
true true. Well currently I think Jared Jordan and a big guy like Jerome James should be cut definetly.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
true true. Well currently I think Jared Jordan and a big guy like Jerome James should be cut definetly.

If we had to trim it down this is what I hope the ending result is.....

Roster
C E.Curry
PF Z.Randolph
SF Q.Richardson
SG J.Crawford
PG S.Marbury

D.Lee
N.Robinson
W.Chandler
R.Balkman
M.Collins
R.Morris
J.Jordan (this kid is alot better then you think)
A.Houston
D.Nichols
M.Rose

CUT
J.Jefferies, J.James, F.Jones, W.Russell

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Don't Jerome James and Jared Jeffries have ridiculous contracts? I doubt you cut them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%