Hello to Favre, goodbye to Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSUViking

Reaction score
Could Tarvaris Get Booted?
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 18, 2009, 6:35 p.m. EDT
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/18/...ris-get-booted/

As the NFL world waits for Brett Favre to make up his mind, the folks in Minnesota are beginning to imagine what life with Favre would be like.

It might not include Tarvaris Jackson.

During a chat Thursday, Minneapolis Star-Tribune writer Judd Zulgad wrote that he wouldn’t be surprised if T-Jack was the odd man out in Minnesota if Favre joins the team.

In Zulgad’s scenario, Sage Rosenfels would be the backup this season and potential starter in 2010, with John David Booty slotting behind him. (Maybe Sage will be reading PFT again by then.)

On one hand, it’s hard to imagine Brad Childress letting go of Jackson, the quarterback he hand selected in his first draft with the franchise. Jackson also continues to have significant support within the Vikings locker room.

On the other hand, Jackson is entering the final year of his rookie contract and, well, he’s Tarvaris Jackson. Rosenfels is under contract for three more years, and just received a $1.4 million signing bonus. He’s not going anywhere.
-----------------------------------------

Doubt a single living soul in the Upper Midwest would miss him if he left.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I`d like to see John David Booty get his chance sometime. So, just let Jackson go, and have Booty at backup, or 3rd string.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Its not like Favre is all that good anymore.

getyappcrnredy24

maybe god. live with soul, never die.
Reaction score
I think they should let go of Jackson if they get Favre or not. He's had a few years to prove himself, and hasn't really even made any improvements. I say, if they don't get Favre, see how JDB works out, he could be better than Tavaris IMO.

Virtuoso

Reaction score
Or, build it up even further. Imagine if he takes the Packers bitter rival to the Super Bowl?
The Packers bitter rival is the Bears. Probably the #1 rivalry in all of NFL's history. Besides, do you really think Favre is the missing piece to a Vikings puzzle that hasn't been able to win a SB? The Vikings are missing a franchise QB and a true #1 WR, get the QB at least and definitely I would label the Vikings as SB contenders. But a washed up Favre just ain't that QB.

FSUViking

Reaction score
The Packers bitter rival is the Bears. Probably the #1 rivalry in all of NFL's history. Besides, do you really think Favre is the missing piece to a Vikings puzzle that hasn't been able to win a SB? The Vikings are missing a franchise QB and a true #1 WR, get the QB at least and definitely I would label the Vikings as SB contenders. But a washed up Favre just ain't that QB.
The Vikings/Packers rivalry is just as bitter, and you're not a Packer fan if you don't think so. You have no sense of history. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinal did a public poll last year over who is the bigger rival, Bears or Vikings, and the Vikings won. So you're own fellow Cheeseheads have spoken.

Secondly, you don't need a #1 WR to win a Super Bowl. You need a defense and RB. We got both, in a big way.

Third....so you don't think a Top 5 defense, Adrian Peterson, and Favre...along with Berrian and Percy Harvin, is enough to contend for a Super Bowl? :rolleyes:

vikesfan

Reaction score
Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, Marvin Harrison, and Deion Branch would beg to differ.
Actually good quarterbacks make wide receivers #1 options. Deion Branch was nothing after leaving the patriots. Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, and Marvin Harrison all had great quarterbacks throwing to them.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well how is that going to work in Minnesota because Favre is no longer a great quarterback.

FSUViking

Reaction score
In case you haven't heard....we got this guy:

People are ****ing moronic if they think Favre is coming here to throw 40 times a game.

VC15

Reaction score
And what happened last year in the playoffs?

FSUViking

Reaction score
Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, Marvin Harrison, and Deion Branch would beg to differ.
Deion Branch? :rolleyes:

In 2007, Plax had 70 catches for 1,025 yards and 12 TD's. Extremely average season. In the Super Bowl? 2 catches 21 yards.

Marvin Harrison averaged 4 catches and 40 yards, with ZERO TD's in the Colts Super Bowl run.

Patriots won 3 Super Bowls with no #1 WR. Tampa Bay (and no...Keyshawn, at that age, was not a #1) The grocery list for getting to, and winning, a Super Bowl does not require a #1 WR to be near the top.

FSUViking

Reaction score
And what happened last year in the playoffs?
Tarvaris Jackson (remember him?) threw a pick-6 to Asante Samuel, which ended up being a major, major factor in the game.

See....HoF QB + great defense + best RB in football = good things. Really NOT that f'ing difficult concept to grasp.

VC15

Reaction score
Off the top of my head I think that Branch had 11 catches for 140 yards in the 2004 SB win.

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure he got the SB MVP award as well that game.

Plax had an average season in 2007? GTFO with that crap.

But what happened last year again with the Vikings in the playoffs (which they had no business being in)?

Virtuoso

Reaction score
The Vikings/Packers rivalry is just as bitter, and you're not a Packer fan if you don't think so. You have no sense of history. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinal did a public poll last year over who is the bigger rival, Bears or Vikings, and the Vikings won. So you're own fellow Cheeseheads have spoken.

Secondly, you don't need a #1 WR to win a Super Bowl. You need a defense and RB. We got both, in a big way.

Third....so you don't think a Top 5 defense, Adrian Peterson, and Favre...along with Berrian and Percy Harvin, is enough to contend for a Super Bowl? :rolleyes:
You're throwing Percy's name around like he can really be an impact as a rookie. If that were the case, BJ and Clay would make the Packers 3-4 a top 12 D. You're also implying that Favre is THAT much of an upgrade over TJack/Sage. He is a minimal upgrade. His skills will help you win some games, but he more than compensates for that with INT's that help end games. Vikings have a very good defense, but if/when the Williams Bros are out 4 games, I would not believe that they would be, statistically speaking top 5.

Listen, historically speaking the Bears/Packers rival is IMO, #1 in all of football; and in many other NFL fans' eyes definitely a top 3 lock; where the recent Vikings/Packers rivalry is nowhere to be seen in the top 30-40. The Vikings/Packers rivalry has lessened IMO, with the Bears adding Jay and having the offseason they had. Now the Packers/Bears rivalry can be back on. What is the Packers record w/MM at HC vs. the Vikes. 5-2, 5-1, in the Packers favor, I believe?

Back to your second point, I did not state that you NEEDED a true #1 WR. Rather that you should at least be SB contenders with a franchise QB. Read, please.

And lastly, Brett Favre used to be a HoF QB. In his prime. His prime is what earned him HoF status. So don't go throwing around that statement like it means anything NOW. There's a reason why the Packers haven't won a SB in the last decade. Geez, FSU you are so condescending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%