Guida Want Edgar; Drops To Featherweight

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Long time lightweight contender Clay Guida recently announced that he would drop down to featherweight for his next fight. He's also got his eye on fighting top competition in the division, namely former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar.

Edgar lost his belt to Benson Henderson and then lost another tight decision to "Bendo" in their rematch. He recently stepped up by dropping down in weight to fight featherweight champ Jose Also but never got the chance when an injury forced Aldo out of the bout.

It would seem that Edgar is now a featherweight in search of another high profile fight. Now that he's followed Edgar to 145lbs, Clay says he'd welcome the chance to scrap with "The Answer."

"That would be a great match up," Guida tells Yahoo! Sports. "I've got a great deal of respect for Frankie and this fight has been a long time coming…[We are] both down here at 145 now and I'm going to make my mark in the division right out of the gate."
Given that at lightweight he was often out-weighed by as much as 15-20 pounds, it makes sense for Guida to want to try his luck at 145lbs, especially since he's coming off of consecutive close losses to now champion Henderson and top contender Gray Maynard. Both he and Edgar found a great deal of success at lightweight despite being vastly undersized and both are coming off of losses to the same men.

Guida would love to fight Edgar but insists that he'd be honored to fight anyone the UFC puts in front of him. "The Carpenter" says he'd love to get back to work in the cage on the UFC's New Year's card but is open to anything in that time range.
Read More:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/guida-wants-edgar-featherweight-200400143--mma.html;_ylt=AhLghQQdOsp8BP.ig3HmEAQ9Eo14;_ylu=X3oDMTN1NWc4NmZiBG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNZWdhdHJvbiBVRkMEcGtnAzdmNmI2NjI1LTk2NzMtMzZiMy1iODlmLTg5ZjU3Nzg1YTY4NQRwb3MDMwRzZWMDbWVnYXRyb24EdmVyAzQ4NzEyNmMwLTEwYmItMTFlMi1iZmY0LTZhOTczZDYwNTY4ZA--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoMzFtaTRzBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANtbWEEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%