Giants trade Jonathan Sanchez to Royals for Melky Cabrera

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kansas City, MO (November 7, 2011) - The Kansas City Royals have announced that the club has acquired left-handed pitchers Jonathan Sanchez and Ryan Verdugo from the San Francisco Giants in exchange for outfielder Melky Cabrera.
I like Melky but I don't expect him to repeat his season from last year.. Royals did the right thing, traded him at his highest possible value.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Love this deal for the Royals.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
lol giants
i dont care if they save money, thats an overpay for melky.

great trade for KC. love it
exactly what cheato said, sell high

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Jonathan Sanchez is terrible, they're not selling high. His trade value fell so far over the course of the 2011 season. The Giants were probably going to non-tender him, meaning it's a great trade for San-Fran because they got something out of a guy they were going to release anyway.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If Sanchez can actually put it together, I think he can be a decent #3/4 guy. I like the deal for both teams but Melky isn't gonna solve the offense problems that Giants have.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jonathan Sanchez is terrible, they're not selling high. His trade value fell so far over the course of the 2011 season. The Giants were probably going to non-tender him, meaning it's a great trade for San-Fran because they got something out of a guy they were going to release anyway.
they could have gotten a better deal

they werent going to non-tender him
his value did not fall off dramatically over 1/2 of a season

sanchez still has upside and had a very good 2010
he's wild, but he's still a lefty with amazing strikeout stuff and is 29

melky flat out sucks

this is a much better trade for the royals. definition of a sell high

and now for the giants, it moves zito into the rotation

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
they could have gotten a better deal

they werent going to non-tender him
his value did not fall off dramatically over 1/2 of a season

sanchez still has upside and had a very good 2010
he's wild, but he's still a lefty with amazing strikeout stuff and is 29

melky flat out sucks

this is a much better trade for the royals. definition of a sell high

and now for the giants, it moves zito into the rotation
Pretty much all the beat writers and stuff believed the Giants saw him as a potential non-tender candidate and wouldn't be surprised if they did. He's a mental midget and I just don't think his command will ever get better. He's been working on it forever and it's only gotten worse.

Sanchez’s high walk and high strikeout rates are the product of his propensity for pitching up in the strike zone, where contact is less frequent but so is the likelihood of getting a called strike. By pitching up in the zone, Sanchez is essentially choosing a strategy that increases the likelihood of deep counts, thus increasing both his walk and strikeout rates. Unlike some other high walk/high strikeout pitchers who simply need to improve their command of premium stuff, Sanchez is getting his whiffs through location, and if he began to throw more strikes, he’d likely see a significant drop in his strikeout rate as well.
Good article summing up Sanchez, the part of it I posted truly shows just how big of a reclamation project he is. Not only does he have to work on his command and his mental make-up, he has to completely change who he is as a pitcher if ever wants to truly be successful.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/jonathan-sanchez-isnt-as-good-as-his-k/

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
His value didn't fall because, outside of San Fran, it was never really high. The Giants adding another prospect to the deal to make it work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%