Giancarlo Stanton: Is he worth the money?

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
after signing the richest contact in american sports history, in the end will he be worth it? we can't predict injuries, but assume he plays the majority of the contract and his career out. will he go down in history as one of the best or one of the worst contracts? it's hard to predict future team success but who thinks he's ever going to win anything in miami during this contract?

Thomas-Panda-Saxby

Reaction score
Best. He's a very good player. And if we aren't predicting injuries then it should be a good contract. And I think the Marlins may win a WS or two.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Anything of this length can't be good

Remember when the yanks gave A-Rod a $275/10 deal? He was the best player in the league, and re-signed with a winning franchise with a super high payroll

And that deal isn't done yet. But the Yankees are hating it. He is a cancer to the locker room, and nobody wants him on the roster (coaches, players, etc). A-Rod is contractually a Yankee for 3 more seasons too, despite not playing for over a year and a half already.

Miami signed him for 13 years! Think about that: in 2000, the Red Sox had not won a World Series in 82 years. 13 years later, they have 3 rings. 13 years and two weeks ago from today, the first iPod was created. Now, we have the iPhone6+!

13 years is just too damn long. Could it pay off? Sure. But for a low budget team, this is awful

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
that's exactly why i brought it up. a lot of people love it, a lot of people hate it. for a team with a history of low spending and an overall miss-run organization, this seems I've a move merely for the fans.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
13 years is just too damn long. Could it pay off? Sure. But for a low budget team, this is awful
He only gets $107MM in the first 6 years. It's a decent enough gamble to try and build a winning team around him before the bulk of the money kicks in.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Signing any contract of significant length with the Marlins is risky. There's a good chance he uses the opt out clause imo.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And if they don't pay him this, they lose one of the leagues premier players.

Almost anytime you sign a star player, it's going to be a horrible deal, but you have to.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Or he can just dictate a trade to a team he wants to play for in 3 years when the team still sucks and they enter rebuilding mode yet again. 

Come on, nobody actually thinks he'll be a Marlin come 2018, right? 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
2018? Probably
2028, when his deal expires? No

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Had he hit the market and the Red Sox won the bidding you would be posting in all caps in excitement. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Not 13 years

Anything over 7-8 years is too much

Note: I've said very little about the $325M part. It's the contract length that is bad

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
If it was not back loaded so much, then yes it would be worth it n but since it's so heavily back loaded it's definitely not.

Though I think more players will be making that much by then anyway.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
If it was not back loaded so much, then yes it would be worth it n but since it's so heavily back loaded it's definitely not.
Though I think more players will be making that much by then anyway.
I agree, way too much for way too long. When has a big contract like this actually worked?

Hamilton, Pujols, A-Rod, Howard, Texieria, Zito, Matsuzaka. The list just goes on and on. He will be good for 5-6 years but the price will get very steep.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
only difference is his age. Those other players all signed their huge deals in their late 20s/early 30s. 

For this deal, he's there until he's 38. So you can argue 8 years of Stanton in his prime is worth the last 5 years of him sucking ass. 

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
5 years will cripple that franchise. I think he will opt out anyways and either the Yankees or Red Sox will offer him more. Power hitters are now at a premium these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%