Gasol benched permanently

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Coach Mike D'Antoni announced Monday night that Pau Gasol, a former All-Star and two-time NBA champion with theLakers, has been benched, effective immediately, for forwardEarl Clark.
The move is considered permanent.
This is not good for anyone. Gasol has bristled at coming off the bench the entire season, even after returning from a concussion, and is unlikely to take this well. Gasol, in the select games he has been healthy enough to play this season, has been inconsistent and lacked focus. Well, more than the rest of the Lakers, I mean.
D'Antoni said his desire is to play small, where he feels the Lakers "play better." Clark has been impressive in his granted minutes.
But this is going to create even more tension, and you have to believe this accelerates the possibility of a Gasol trade. The drama in L.A. continues. The Lakers play the Bulls in Chicago Monday night.

D'Antoni did not indicate he will play Gasol and Howard together in late-game minutes, though. It should be noted that Jackson, Mike Brown and D'Antoni all have struggled to win when playing Gasol with another center at winning time.
D'Antoni is determined now to stick with his style of small ball, saying: “You can't keep going back and forth and guessing.” He already spoke to Gasol about the move and said about that conversation: “That's life. He understands.”
“You have to have an identity,” D'Antoni said. “And you have to create an identity.”​

via Lakers blog.
D'Antoni also said it allows Gasol to play at his natural position at center. But the issue is that Howard is one of the Lakers' best players, and will get big minutes. How many minutes does that leave for Gasol, one of the highest-paid players in the league?
You have to believe a trade is coming. But where? And for what?[font=Helvetica Neue']
[/font]
[font=Helvetica Neue']CBS[/font]

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
stop with all of these offers lol

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
probably not because they wont make an offer.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Boston shouldn't go away trading their young pieces for Gasol. He won't push them to a championship so what's the point?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Bass and Lee are nothing

It's really green for pau, and green is a tweener who will never effectively play sf. Pau can be that guy at C

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Man the Lakers are a hot mess lol.

LakeShow

Reaction score
the lakers are gonna have alot of takers when the deadline gets here, i think there might be a chance he might get traded. I wish we could trade him for rudy gay, lakers could use some athleticism.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
"A lot" of takers? That's a stretch, and anyone who is interested isn't going to give up what the Lakers are probably looking for. They've been killing his value all year.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
All hail Earl Clark

I may be down on the Lakers, but i really like Clark. just like I did Shannon and Jordan Hill

LakeShow

Reaction score
"A lot" of takers? That's a stretch, and anyone who is interested isn't going to give up what the Lakers are probably looking for. They've been killing his value all year.
he is still a serviceable player that could start in alot of teams, just that mda system doesn't fit him well thus making him perform poorly. but i do agree that his value is low since he is getting benched, i guess that what happens when you are searching for certain tweaks in the team to get back in the playoff picture. isnt looking too good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%