Garcia To Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They just said it on ESPN. I believe I heard it correctly.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Nice signing, Garcia has taken them to the playoffs before and that Eagles team wasnt as good as this one. I could see him play week 2 since Mcnabb is injured as well.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
But what do you do with McNabb-Vick-Garcia?
And Kolb isn't even THAT bad.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You heard wrong Rip. I am watching Philly local news right now and McNabb is either going to suck it up for a week...or we see Kolb.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Right at the end of the SportsCenter I could of sworn he said, "This is breaking news, Jeff Garcia has agreed with terms with the Philadelphia Eagles."

Something like that.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yea, Jeff's going to Philly and Feeley is going to Carolina..

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
why the <Censored> did Carolina not sign this guy?

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
ESPN.com
McNabb uncertain; Garcia agrees

PHILADELPHIA -- Donovan McNabb is not ruling himself out for the Eagles' game against New Orleans next Sunday despite suffering a cracked rib on Sunday. Philadelphia got some insurance on Monday, just in case.

The Eagles reached agreement with quarterback Jeff Garcia, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday. Garcia, a 10-year veteran, played for Philadelphia in 2006 and went 5-1 in six starts in relief of an injured McNabb.

McNabb, who once played four quarters on a broken ankle, doesn't feel like the rib will keep him out.

NFC East blog
ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

"He's pretty sore," coach Andy Reid said Monday. "He's going to try and battle through it. He'll struggle to practice. He's going to do everything he possibly can to try to play. We'll see how that goes. He's staying optimistic about that."

McNabb is keeping an open mind and doesn't plan to sit out.

"Not necessarily, anything can happen. It's just Monday right now, but if Friday and Saturday come along and I'm feeling a lot better, you just never know," he said. "It's a slow process of just meeting with our trainers, doing two-a-days with treatment, going through the process of just like I'm playing in the game, and seeing how I feel at the end [of the week]."

Third-year pro Kevin Kolb filled in for McNabb during Philadelphia's 38-10 victory over Carolina in the season opener. He would start against the Saints if McNabb can't play.

Michael Vick is not eligible because he was suspended for the first two regular-season games as the last part of the NFL's penalty for his role in a dogfighting ring. Vick probably wouldn't start even if he could play because he's still rusty and Reid has maintained all along that Kolb is the backup.

Kolb hasn't moved the offense much in the few opportunities he's had, though he's never worked with the starters during a practice week. The Eagles could find themselves in a shootout against Drew Brees and the rest of New Orleans' high-octane offense, so they can't afford a slow start.

"I have full confidence in him," Reid said of Kolb. "I don't worry about his accuracy or knowledge of the offense right now. It's just a matter of getting caught up with the game speed of the regular season."

McNabb got hurt when he took a hard shot on a 3-yard TD run in the third quarter. He spun away from a defender at the goal line, but was nailed by Panthers nose tackle Damione Lewis on the ground in the end zone.

"I can't say anything on that," Reid said. "You get those 300-plus pound guys motoring and it's hard to stop. Sometimes they come in a little bit late."

The NFL reviewed the play and ruled the hit was "not illegal," spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail.

"It's a rough game. We're not clamoring about Josh McCown. I mean he got whacked pretty good, too," Panthers coach John Fox said after reviewing the tape. "It's tough. I'm sorry he got hurt. I don't ever like to see any player get hurt, our team or theirs. It's unfortunate."

McNabb played an injury-free season last year for the first time since leading the Eagles to the Super Bowl in 2004. He's missed 24 games, including playoffs, due to injuries during his first 10 seasons in the NFL. The Eagles are 14-10 in those contests.

Reid said McNabb doesn't have to practice to play this week.

"We've seen him do that before and play some pretty good games," Reid said. "We'll take it day by day. We just want to get him back healthy."

Reid isn't concerned that McNabb could exacerbate the injury by playing.

"It's broken. I don't think you can make that part worse," Reid said. "We just have to see how he can function. I'm not going to put him out there if he can't function.

"Rib injuries are all different. This one's displaced a little bit and pretty painful. I know other guys have played with broken ribs. They're all different. It's hard to compare."

If it's simply a matter of pain tolerance, as often is the case with broken ribs, McNabb proved a long time ago he's a tough guy. He broke his right ankle in the first quarter against Arizona on Nov. 17, 2002, stayed in and threw four touchdown passes. McNabb missed the next six games, but returned for the playoffs.

He sat out the final seven games in 2005 with a sports hernia and a torn ACL cost him the last eight games in '06, including the playoffs. McNabb didn't play two games in 2007 because of ankle and thumb injuries.

"Donovan is resilient," teammate Brian Westbrook said.

Garica played the last two seasons for the Buccaneers. He has made four Pro Bowls, most recently in 2007 with Tampa Bay.

Matt Ryan Fan

Reaction score
Wow, I'm shocked the Panthers didn't try and sign Garcia after Delhomme throwing the INT's and McCown going down for the year.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Feeley got signed? SWEET! <3

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The news just broke on local Philly television.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Jeff Garcia has agreed to a contract to return to the Philadelphia Eagles.

Meanwhile, A.J. Feeley has decided to join the Panthers, apparently spurning overtures from Philadelphia, according to multiple reports.
<3 <3 <3

Gtown81

Reaction score
aslong as Feely doesn't throw any interceptions I'm happy

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've met him a few times. His Dad was my Math/Drivers Ed teacher in high school.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kolb is garbage and not 1 fan in this city has any faith in the fact that this guy is the future of the team. McNabb is being modest right now but the guy has busted ribs and is in a lot of pain right now. No way in hell he starts this week & as soon as Kolb starts stinking the joint up...Andy Reid throws Jeff Garcia onto the field.

Not only does Garcia have the offense mastered but he's got rapport with the Eagles' offensive weapons...and he's in the football shape that the Eagles don't feel Michael Vick is in quite yet.

As long as Garcia is on the roster, Vick is still the #2 with McNabb sidelined.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Panthers have the worst front office, I swear.

First they gave Jake "Should be a backup" Delhomme a what? 6 year extension.

They arent gonna get anything for Peppers, and instead just let him walk.

Then they pass on Garcia AND Vick aka the Carolina Killer

Gtown81

Reaction score
The Panthers have the worst front office, I swear.

First they gave Jake "Should be a backup" Delhomme a what? 6 year extension.

They arent gonna get anything for Peppers, and instead just let him walk.

Then they pass on Garcia AND Vick aka the Carolina Killer
Delhomme was great all season last year, it was that one playoff game that ruined him

hopefully this game was a fluke, and he'll comeback to his normal form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%