Favre, Packers agree to part ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
"Stalemate", the word used by estranged quarterback Brett Favre in his meeting today with Packers' head coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson. Both Favre and the Packers agreed that the best thing to do at this point would be to part ways at this point in the saga.

Favre left practice before 3pm today, telling reporters that he would not be attending practice at the risk of becoming too much of a distraction for the rest of the team.

"We're at a stalemate," Favre said. "Mike and I both agreed last night that me being out there is a distraction and will continue to be a distraction. We all know the reason I'm here is because the commissioner [Roger Goodell] reinstated me so we have a lot of things to figure out. It's simple and complicated, both at the same time."

According to ESPN.COM, the Packers once again shot down Favre's request to seek a trade with either the Minnesota Vikings or possibly the Chicago Bears. ESPN's Ed Werder is also reporting that Favre is in active talks with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Both Favre and the Packers are now backpedaling on earlier reports of a possible open competition between Favre and Aaron Rogers for the starting nod.

"Mike told me, hey, we're a better team with you on it but wanted to know if I have a problem with an open competition,"
Favre said. "I don't have a problem with competing -- you know that, but Aaron should be the starter right now because he's been out here all this time. This is more than about an open competition and I can do that, absolutely, but this is going to be mass confusion and that's not good for this team.

"They want to know if I'm committed but I want to know if they're 100 percent committed. The problem is that there's been a lot of damage done and I can't forget it. Stuff has been said, stories planted, that just aren't true. Can I get over all that? I doubt it." -AE

^ By God does Aaron Rogers look high as a kite.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rodgers over Favre??

the Pack are the ones that are high

bosox1918

Reaction score
God, when is this going to be over. Farve and McCarthy are right. Farve is just being a distraction to the other players at the camp. Hopefully this wont affect the team going into the Preseason and Regular Season, and hopefully this ends with the right guy taking the snaps, Aaron Rodgers.

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
Wow, I'm so mad that hes not even interested in the Jets. We really need a quarterback.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hopefully this wont affect the team going into the Preseason and Regular Season, and hopefully this ends with the right guy taking the snaps, Aaron Rodgers.
Well there's the "right guy" and then there's the guy that is the "proven, veteran, better chances at leading you to a Super Bowl" guy.

Wow, I'm so mad that hes not even interested in the Jets. We really need a quarterback.
Just because the Jets need a quarterback doesn't mean Favre is going to be interested. Favre isn't looking for a job with the team that needs a quarterback. Favre is looking for a job with the Super Bowl calibur team that needs a quarterback. The Jets are not that team...as painful as it may be for you to read it.

Bottom line, the Jets are still (at least) a few years away from being able to contend with New England in the AFC East, let alone compete for an NFL Championship. Favre being at the end of his career isn't interested in waiting that long, nor is his body willing.

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
Yes, that was very painful to read, haha. But the jets offseason moves have made it possible for the Jets to win and win NOW. We went ahead and signed veteran players to help us get to the Superbowl. Just imagine if we added Favre to that list and hes does what he did with the Packets last year. We have very talented recievers, that can easily be compared to the packers recievers, imo. The only thing left that would be shaky would be our secondary. Of course this is biased, but I do believe that we have a shot if we had Favre this season.

Ehhh =\

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
YeZZ ur fall right in line with the other Jets' fans I know...the only people on the planet that see your team as standing a chance against New England, Indianapolis, or Pittsburgh.

I am not sold on Thomas Jones as a Jet just yet & I feel that the team lacks an all around, every down back that Laurance Maroney or say Joe Addai can be. Actually...if you could mold Jones & Washington into 1 guy, their running game would be much improved.

Your right about their secondary being 'shaky' aside from Revis & Rhodes but their front will rely a lot on the health of Kris Jenkins and there's a lot of youth in those linebackers of theirs. Most of all I feel this team lacks the depth on the O-Line and the Defensive side of the ball to be able to lose guys to injury (which is always inevitable) and continue to be competitive.

I'm not saying this team can't contend for the Wild Card but they definitely can't contend for the AFC title. Nothing wrong with having high hopes for your team though.

I'm a Vikings fan, I've have high hopes for quite a long time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%