Evan Turner named player of the year

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
INDIANAPOLIS -- Ohio State junior swingman Evan Turner is the runaway choice as The Associated Press' college basketball player of the year.

The 6-foot-7 Turner, who averaged 20.3 points, 9.2 rebounds and 5.9 assists, received 54 votes from the 65-member national media panel.

Turner missed six games after breaking bones in his back when he fell after a dunk in December. The Buckeyes went .500 without him and then went on to win the Big Ten championship after he returned.

He is the first Ohio State player to win the award since Gary Bradds in 1964. Jerry Lucas of the Buckeyes won it in 1961 and 1962.

Kentucky freshman John Wall received nine votes, while Da'Sean Butler of West Virginia and Luke Harangody of Notre Dame each got one.
Turner >>>>> Wall

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
*stops doing the John Wall dance*
I have big 10 channel and I was lucky enough to see him play some games. He really impressed me. I think he has the potential to be a Lebron type of player.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Whoa, not quite lol, but hes been compared to Brandon Roy which is a fair comparison.

Mooche

Reaction score
Watched a lot of Wall and Turner this year, love them both. Happy to see Turner get the award, he'll do some damage in the NBA for sure.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Whoa, not quite lol, but hes been compared to Brandon Roy which is a fair comparison.
Idk. I've seen him play a few times. He kinda plays like Tyreke too.

TuckerIntensity

Reaction score
The right choice IMO. Turner was ridiculous good this year and I think will translate his success to the NBA the best as well. Kid can ball.

Oiler35

Reaction score
*clap clap clap clap clap*

John Wall just got kicked in the balls, just sayin'

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Good to see he was the best player in college bball this past year. Well deserved.

Sucks Sherron didnt get no votes but its whatever.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Also won the Naismith award

INDIANAPOLIS -- Evan Turner is the first Ohio State player to win the Naismith Trophy, awarded annually to the top player in college basketball by the Atlanta Tipoff Club.

Turner, a junior, was announced as the winner tonight during the National Association of Basketball Coaches' Guardians of the Game awards show.

Sherron Collins of Kansas, Wesley Johnson of Syracuse and John Wall of Kentucky were the other finalists for the award.

Earlier in the evening, Turner was named Division I player of the year by the coaches' association.

The NABC and Naismith are the third and fourth player-of-the-year awards for Turner during his weekend at the Final Four in Indianapolis. He collected the Associated Press award and the Oscar Robertson Trophy from the U.S. Basketball Writers Association on Friday. He also won the Sporting News award in March.

Turner could add a sixth award Friday in Los Angeles, where he will be a finalist for the Wooden Award.

The Naismith Trophy has been awarded since 1969. The only other Big Ten players to receive it were Scott May of Indiana in 1976, Calbert Cheaney of Indiana in 1993 and Glenn Robinson of Purdue in 1994.

It also is the first year that Naismith awards for the college and high school players of the year went to players at or headed to the same university. Jared Sullinger of Northland High School, who will be a freshman at Ohio State next season, won the high school award in March.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kings need this guy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%