Edsall hired by Maryland

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Randy Edsall, who built a fledgling Connecticut program into a Big East champion and BCS bowl team, has been hired by Maryland to succeed Ralph Friedgen, sources told ESPN's Joe Schad on Sunday.

Edsall, whose team lost to Oklahoma in Saturday night's Tostistos Fiesta Bowl, did not return Sunday to Connecticut on the UConn charter flight.

Instead of returning home with the team after the Fiesta Bowl, UConn's Randy Edsall flew to Maryland to meet with school officials, sources say.
Instead, said ESPN.com sources, he and his family were to fly from Phoenix to Maryland to meet with Terrapin school officials.

Meanwhile, an ESPN.com source also said there is a possibility of a 6 p.m. team meeting at Maryland.

Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach had been considered a leading candidate for the Maryland opening.

Instead, Maryland targeted the well-regarded Edsall, who in his 12 seasons at Storrs led UConn from Football Bowl Subdivision infancy in 2002 to a league championship and a BCS bowl in 2010.

Friedgen was forced out of Maryland in December after being named ACC coach of the year.

The final game of Friedgen's 10-year head coaching career at his alma mater was a Dec. 29 victory in the Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman against East Carolina.

Earlier Sunday, when contacted by text message by ESPN.com, Edsall indicated that an agreement had not yet been finalized with Maryland. Asked if it were "a done deal," Edsall texted, "That is not the case."

UConn athletic director Jeff Hathaway was asked Saturday night about the likelihood of Edsall leaving Connecticut for Maryland.

"I think Randy is going to be at the University of Connecticut," he told ESPN.com's Ted Miller. "I think he's here and this is his focus."

Hathaway wouldn't elaborate when asked if Maryland talked with Edsall.

"I focus on who's at our place," Hathaway said. "Randy is at our place. I think that's where we are."

Asked if Edsall would remain at UConn rather than become Maryland's next coach, Hathaway paused and said, "I think Randy Edsall is at the University of Connecticut."
Seems like a good move. Uconn had a decent year.

Mooche

Reaction score
This is kind of a curveball after Leach was the front runner it appeared. UCONN was built up pretty nicely so this isn't a very surprising move. Hopefully it works out for the Terps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%