Donte Stallworth given a chance by the Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rondo The Prodigy

Reaction score
The Baltimore Ravens are signing wide receiver Donte Stallworth to a one-year, $900,000 contract. Before his year-long suspension for pleading guilty to D.U.I. manslaughter, Stallworth specialized in one-year tenures.

After a breakout 945-yard season with the Saints in ’05, he was traded to Philadelphia for linebacker Mark Simoneau and a fourth-round pick. Stallworth gained 725 yards on just 38 receptions for the Eagles in ’06 before signing as a free agent with the Patriots. Though a starter, Stallworth was an afterthought in New England’s juggernaut offense, and the team declined to pick up his $6 million option bonus in ’08. The Browns stepped in, giving Stallworth a seven-year, $35 million contract ($10 million guaranteed). He, in turn, gave them 17 catches in 11 games. Then the legal woes.

Even before last year, the concern with Stallworth was always about how a former first-round pick with speed to burn could keep getting let go. He was in the league’s substance-abuse program in New Orleans, and he’s prone to the type of minor injuries that drive coaches crazy.

That baggage, and his yearlong absence, explains Baltimore’s low-risk investment. The Ravens are hoping Stallworth is a new man who still has playmaking abilities. They’re in desperate need of a No. 3 receiver and, in the back of their minds, they might be hoping that the 28-year-old Stallworth can push Mark Clayton for a starting job.
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02...worth-a-chance/

I can see why they would give him a chance. He made a mistake, and took all the blame for it. I know he is still probably a great player and they are getting him for only $900k which wouldn't be too much of a risk.

Please don't bring Michael Vick or Plaxico Burress into discussion either.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Leave it to the Lions to not sign him.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm praying for Donte, hope he has a good season.

Mooche

Reaction score
The Ravens making another HUGE attempt to bolster that receiving core... :rolleyes: Maybe they will realize they have to draft a target. i.e (Golden Tate, Jermaine Gresham) that Flacco can get that ball to.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Ravens making another HUGE attempt to bolster that receiving core... :rolleyes: Maybe they will realize they have to draft a target. i.e (Golden Tate, Jermaine Gresham) that Flacco can get that ball to.
I think they'll be active in trying to get a #1 reciever this offseason, someone like Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Stallworth will be a solid 3rd I think. They do as Mooche said need to draft someone. I think late in the first they can get a Golden Tate, or an Arrelious Benn or a Mardy Gilyard (although that's a reach, a good combine and 40 could help him). Benn and Gilyard do have a plus in their return game too.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
why get a TE, they have heap

Rice18

I'm emotionally vested in me.
Reaction score
Ravens need a good wide out. Which I think Stallworth is still a good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%