David Stern promises 'substantial sanctions' for Spurs resting their stars

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
NBA commissioner David Stern apologized to fans and promised substantial sanctions against the Spurs for resting players.

In a statement released Thursday, NBA commissioner David Stern said San Antonio would face "substantial sanctions" after the Spurs decided to send home four key players for rest in advance of

their game against the Miami Heat.

The Spurs sent Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green home early Thursday for rest. Stern called the decision unacceptable and apologized to all NBA fans. Following Wednesday's game against the Orlando Magic, Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich said it was possible the players would be given a game off because they were "getting tired."

That reasoning apparently wasn't enough for Stern, who could now come down hard on San Antonio. It wouldn't be the first time Stern punished a team for resting star players. In 1990, Stern fined the Los Angeles Lakers $25,000 for resting Magic Johnson, James Worthy and Mychal Thompson.
At that time, Stern said fans buying tickets deserve the best product. It likely won't help the Spurs cause that their game against the Heat is being nationally televised on TNT.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Stern does have a point; that is pretty much the whole core of the Spurs too. It would be more understandable in my opinion if it was just one player missing a game at a time.

ZigZag

TEH GREAT ZIGGY
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The reasoning is fucking stupid. Quick, let put sanctions on the Wizards for being shitty, the fans deserve better than that

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
While I think it's dumb that SAS did it and that they shouldn't because it sucks buying tickets to a game expecting to see certain players and then they don't play but I don't think Stern should do anything, it's Pop's choice

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
in the end you want the best product on the court at the end of the season too so this helps that. i agree it sucks for fans but its not his choice.

fine every team thay blows because they dont have the best product, as zig said.

stern stays trollin

:stern:

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
the tnt broadcast team is having fun trollin on david stern.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pop and Stern are trolling back and forth at each other.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It sucks, but it is not the NBA's decision or their place to penalize them.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I can see both sides of the argument really. I wonder what sanctions he would put in place.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
i mean its pop choice..but to rest them for a nationally televised game against the reigning champs? thats just garbage.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Especially because he's resting a 30 year old Tony Parker with no real injury history and a 25 year old Danny Green

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=320424002

Where was the outrage when that happened?

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=320424002

Where was the outrage when that happened?
You know the difference.

But it's not that bad in my opinion. If it had been a blowout, sure. But it was a close game and these comments are offensive to the Spurs' players that were on the floor and made it a competitive game against the defending champions.
And like Pugz said, I'm sure he cares even more about quality basketball in the postseason.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Resting players because the season is long and the coach wants them to stay healthy.

They're relatively similar.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Heat had like 3 or 4 days off and Spurs played 4 games in 5 days. I'd say Popovich had every right to send those guys home.

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Resting players because the season is long and the coach wants them to stay healthy.

They're relatively similar.
Except in one instance the seedings have been decided already.

Sabbath

Reaction score
Since the Spurs were somewhat competitive last night, shouldn't the loss be a bold enough sanction. I mean, if they would've had their best 4 players on the court they might've won.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I think it would have been different if they just dîdnt dress, rather than staying in San An

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%