Cuban goes off on Prokhorov

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From nydailynews
DALLAS - If this turns into anything more than playful teasing from one outspoken NBA owner to another, let it be known that Mark Cuban threw the first punch at Mikhail Prokhorov.

And he started with a haymaker.

"He's a p---y," Cuban quipped Thursday when asked about Prokhorov.

Cuban, who spoke while on his exercise bike in the Mavericks locker room, lifted his head up to smile, and then continued to verbally jab at the Nets' new owner.

"(Prokhorov) doesn't come to games," Cuban said. "Who the hell knows?"

Cuban finished his pregame workout and took his usual spot along the Mavericks bench, where he watched his team dismantle the Nets, 102-89, behind a balanced attack from Dirk Nowitzki (21 points), Shawn Marion (18), Caron Butler (15) and Jason Terry (15). The game marked the return of Avery Johnson, who was fired by Cuban in 2008 after guiding the Mavericks to the Finals in 2006.

But while Cuban gave his former employee nothing but praise, he used every opportunity to take playful digs at the billionaire Russian.

"When (Johnson) was with us, the expectation was to win a championship," Cuban said. "I don't think that's the situation right now with the Nets. I think he recognizes that his job is progress more than rings right now. But you never know. If Prokhorov does what I did to try to make deals and get something before the trade deadline then all that changes.

"But, you know, building a true professional team means having to spend money. We just haven't seen it."
Asked if there was any added motivation to beat Prokhorov's team, Cuban responded, "Who?"

Prokhorov, who is known for his witty remarks about the Knicks, may want to add Cuban one-liners to his arsenal. He has attended four Nets games this season, preferring the executive suite to courtside. He watched the Nov. 24 game against the Hawks in casual wear - jeans and a sweatshirt - a Cuban trademark.

"Totally different," said Avery Johnson, comparing the two owners. "(Prokhorov) sits in a suite and I barely even see him sometimes after the games. But in a lot of ways they are the same, even though they're different."

On the court, however, it's becoming increasingly difficult for Prokhorov to defend the bold predictions he made after buying the team last year. The Nets (6-17) got 24 points from Brook Lopez but lost their sixth straight game Thursday night and remain in the Eastern Conference basement. They cut Dallas' lead to five in the third quarter before folding down the stretch. The Mavericks (18-4) won their 11th straight.
Adding injury to insult, Devin Harris sprained his shoulder in the first quarter and didn't return. Rookie Derrick Favors missed his first game with a thigh contusion.

Prokhorov wasn't Cuban's only target. While praising Johnson's stint in Dallas, Cuban said Johnson's coaching predecessor, Don Nelson, "basically quit on us.

"(Nelson) was telling anybody that would listen that we were barely a playoff team at all."

Cuban and Nelson were involved in a financial feud that was settled in arbitration. Nelson, the one-time Knicks coach, was paid more than $7 million in owed salary.
=)

ZigZag

TEH GREAT ZIGGY
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cuban should watch his mouth, I wouldn't <Censored> with a billionaire russian.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yea, I know Cuban tries to keep in shape but I don't know if I'd be calling Prohkov a p*ssy. Prohkov probably has that deceiving, brute, Russian strength & last time I checked, 90% of the Russian male population is highly skilled in Sambo.

Mark is really reaching for headlines these days, huh?

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Prokhorov who? What has he done? Oh yeah...he's all talk as of now.

Cuban is beast and has been the last 11 years.

I don't know why any of you guys still don't like Cuban, or you aren't used to this. Guess you guys don't approve of owners who are actually fans at heart and fans first.

<Censored> Prokhorov.

VC15

Reaction score

I don't know why any of you guys still don't like Cuban, or you aren't used to this. Guess you guys don't approve of owners who are actually fans at heart and fans first.

<Censored> Prokhorov.
Mark Cuban is the Rex Ryan of the NBA. Both talk a lot of <Censored>, yet their teams never win anything.

How many rings have the Mavericks won under Cuban's ownership?

BTW:

http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/12/6/1858961/prokhorov-dolan-battle-of-the-boroughs#comments

Watch the video in the link.

Proky would kick Cuban's ass any day of the week.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

<Censored> Prokhorov.
I used to love how Mark Cuban was down in the stands with fans, wearing a t-shirt & jeans, looking more like an average Joe but in reality he's not & his antics have gotten old. He was way more likeable before he started making so many ridiculous comments in front of the media & blogging. For what its worth, I do appreciate his TV network. HDNet is my home to a lot of Japanese MMA & smaller US-based promotions.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If Cuban is Rex Ryan what is Prokhorov? Tim Couch? Ryan Leaf?

Cuban's done a <Censored> load more than Prokhorov has.

Cuban and Dirk single-handily put Dallas on the basketball radar. Worst professional sports team record wise in the 1990's. Cuban spent his money, and has always been there.

Prokhorov has yet to prove anything.

And I'd take Cubes over any other owner in the NBA in a fight, because he has heart and the money.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I used to love how Mark Cuban was down in the stands with fans, wearing a t-shirt & jeans, looking more like an average Joe but in reality he's not & his antics have gotten old. He was way more likeable before he started making so many ridiculous comments in front of the media & blogging. For what its worth, I do appreciate his TV network. HDNet is my home to a lot of Japanese MMA & smaller US-based promotions.
You're not getting it. This is exactly why we love Cuban. He's just like me and you, sometimes he let's his emotions get the best of him. But he's a true fan. Would you just want another bum who sits in his suite?

Cuban is great for the NBA, imagine if all owners cared about owning their team instead of listing that they own a team as a credential.

VC15

Reaction score

Cuban and Dirk single-handily put Dallas on the basketball radar. Worst professional sports team record wise in the 1990's. Cuban spent his money, and has always been there.

And I'd take Cubes over any other owner in the NBA in a fight, because he has heart and the money.
Proky has more money and is clearly in much better shape.

Nice job in avoiding my question as to how successful Cuban has been, in terms of his teams winning NBA championships.

Dirk is the ultimate choke artist. I like his style and his number (I also wore it), but he is not a legitimate go to guy on an NBA championship caliber team.

ZigZag

TEH GREAT ZIGGY
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

In a fight I'll take the Russian any day.

EDIT: apparently Prokhorov is 6'8". No chance Cuban

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dirk is a hall-of-famer and one of the 50 greatest players ever. He's going to pass Larry Bird on the all-time scoring list in the new week or two. People who call Dirk a choke artist are completely ignorant. I'm sorry. He's a choke artist because he missed 1 clutch free throw in an NBA Championship game. In a series that is up there with the Kings-Lakers as one of the most controversial ones ever?

I'm not avoiding your question either, yes we haven't won a title, but he took a <Censored>ty team, like the Nets, and turned them into a decade of winning, he made Dallas, which the only team people cared about was the Cowboys as America's team, and turned the Mavs into a must-watch. Tell me when Prokhorov has done anything.

Who cares if he has more money? Do you actually expect him to fight him too? Let's talk real here too.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You're not getting it. This is exactly why we love Cuban. He's just like me and you, sometimes he let's his emotions get the best of him. But he's a true fan. Would you just want another bum who sits in his suite?

Cuban is great for the NBA, imagine if all owners cared about owning their team instead of listing that they own a team as a credential.
Prohkov basically is the Mark Cuban of Russia. He's accomplished just as much in the business world as Cuban...but not in the U.S. It's all good, Cuban hasn't done jack in Russia either.

Let's give Prohkov more than a partial season of ownership before we start arguing that Mark Cuban has done more with his piss-poor NBA franchise. By default, Cuban has obviously done more at this point.

VC15

Reaction score
Cuban inherited a team with pieces already in place. Prokhorov inherited a team that was in absolute shambles in every facet that you can think of.

It’s easy to talk smack when you’re already sitting pretty but Dallas’ rebuilding days are coming and we’ll see how smug Cuban is when he’s working his way back up from the bottom like we are now. I love the smack talk though, Mikhail should take a cue from Jay Z: don’t respond right away, wait for things to turn to your favor, and then dis him.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cuban inherited a team with pieces already in place. Prokhorov inherited a team that was in absolute shambles in every facet that you can think of.

It’s easy to talk smack when you’re already sitting pretty but Dallas’ rebuilding days are coming and we’ll see how smug Cuban is when he’s working his way back up from the bottom like we are now. I love the smack talk though, Mikhail should take a cue from Jay Z: don’t respond right away, wait for things to turn to your favor, and then dis him.
It's not just that. He made Dallas care. He spent his money. He promoted and produced the team like crazy because he had a goal to make basketball in Dallas a success. I'll never dislike Cuban,wanna know why? Because he tries. Just because Prokhorov spends the money doesn't mean he cares.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

You usually spend all of your time arguing that New Jersey has solid pieces. Didn't you call T.Will one of the best 6 men in the league?????

Now you say that they are in shambles in every facet???

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He always claimed the Nets had a lot of talent and tanked last year instead of trying to win..

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cuban just said this

"I said it jokingly. The guy is like a Russian Ninja and trains with every weapon known to man."

:D I knew it was a joke, but since it's Cuban people will go on a rant about how annoying and disrespectful he is.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
It's not just that. He made Dallas care. He spent his money. He promoted and produced the team like crazy because he had a goal to make basketball in Dallas a success. I'll never dislike Cuban,wanna know why? Because he tries. Just because Prokhorov spends the money doesn't mean he cares.
What in the flying <Censored> are you talking about. Prokhorov hasn't even owned a team for a half of a season yet. Where are you getting the idea that he's spending money and isn't caring for his team?

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If the Mavs were ever 6-17, Cuban would be frantically trying to make a move, he doesn't accept failure. Never has, never will. Prokhorov sits up in his suite. So far, he's just another average owner who doesn't really care for his team. Just has the money. There was all this hype that this guy was going to be the next Cuban...there's only 1 Mark Cuban. I bet Prokhorov has a <Censored>ty personality too... he looks like the type of person with a stick up his ass

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
There were no expectations for his team this season. They're rebuilding. He's not going to be retarded like Cuban and frantically attempt to make a move to just make a move. They were all in for Melo and the thing fell apart.

You expect a rebuilding team to be frantically attempting to make a trade to get better because that's what Cuban would do, and you wonder why you haven't won a championship with him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%