Cox to retire as skipper after '10 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
The future of Bobby Cox has been decided: The long-time Braves manager will return for the 2010 season, and then that will be it.

The team issued a news release on Wednesday afternoon saying they have signed Cox to a one-year contract extension through next season. After that, Cox will retire. The rest of the Braves' coaching staff will also return next year.

"I am very excited and honored to be making plans for next year," Cox said in the release. "While I have decided that 2010 will be my last season in the dugout, I want to make it clear that we will all be working as hard as ever to win another world championship for the city of Atlanta and our great Braves fans. I really can't express how proud I am of our team, and how thankful I am that [general manager] Frank [Wren] and [president] John [Schuerholz] have given me the opportunity to retire with the organization that I've been with for almost 30 seasons."

As part of the extension, Cox has been given a five-year consulting agreement, from 2011-15, where he will advise and consult in all areas of baseball operations, including the Major League club, Spring Training, Minor League affiliates and scouting.

In addition, Cox will work with the office of the president on special business projects.

"Bobby and I have been talking about this for some time," Wren said in the release. "We are very excited that Bobby, who is one of the best and most-respected managers in the history of baseball, will again be managing our club in 2010. Personally, it has been a true honor and a pleasure to work with such a great manager and leader. Bobby is one of the true icons of our game."

Cox, in his 28th season as big league skipper, is the winningest manager in franchise history. His 2,408 career wins place him fourth on the all-time list and second among active managers.

Source: mlb.com
All-time great manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%