Cordarrelle Patterson continues to underwhelm

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
CP84 had a nice opening week performance against St. Louis, but the only reason he salvaged it was the rushing touchdown. Since then, he's been all but invisible and part of that is lack of use. Norv Turner likes to use everyone at his disposal as decoys. The biggest part of his offense is for every player to sell his route as if he's the main option. In another sense, Patterson often motions into the backfield, but I don't think he's received an actual non-reverse rushing attempt since week 1. So how much of Patterson's lack of production is lack of touches, and how much of it is the fact that he's still very raw as a WR?

Discuss

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
Why did they venture away from him?  Why do any team venture away from a player when they do so well during a game? For example, Sproles had a monster game in game one and the next one he was non-existant.  Why do coaches always seem to do this?  Makes no sense to me.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Shaggy said:
Why did they venture away from him?  Why do any team venture away from a player when they do so well during a game? For example, Sproles had a monster game in game one and the next one he was non-existant.  Why do coaches always seem to do this?  Makes no sense to me.
Yeah, I don't get it, and I know what you mean. How many targets do you suppose John Brown will get on Sunday after his monster game against SF?

Patterson just needs to run the ball, imo. They use him too much as decoy. Just give the guy the damn ball. He'll do something with it.

Logistix

Reaction score
Patterson still underperforming. Hell of a sophomore slump.

I don't understand why they use him like they do. I understand that he maybe slow to pick up the playbook or whatever. But his talent and vision with the ball in his hands is one of a kind. These are his peak years too. Its a bit sad to see. I saw him at Tennessee and know how electric he can be.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Logistix said:
Patterson still underperforming. Hell of a sophomore slump.

I don't understand why they use him like they do. I understand that he maybe slow to pick up the playbook or whatever. But his talent and vision with the ball in his hands is one of a kind. These are his peak years too. Its a bit sad to see. I saw him at Tennessee and know how electric he can be.

His body language isn't good. His route running is worse. His KR vision seems to have disappeared. I think he's hurt. I think he's mentally fragile. I think Charles Johnson has made himself a much more viable option. It's sad to say, but the kid is cooked, imo. He's a KR NFL Lifer with some nice offensive splash plays sprinkled in to every season.

He'll never be more than this, imo.

Logistix

Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:

His body language isn't good. His route running is worse. His KR vision seems to have disappeared. I think he's hurt. I think he's mentally fragile. I think Charles Johnson has made himself a much more viable option. It's sad to say, but the kid is cooked, imo. He's a KR NFL Lifer with some nice offensive splash plays sprinkled in to every season.

He'll never be more than this, imo.

Hopefully not, I loved the guy at Tennessee. I'm a huge homer, but it would be a shame to see him turn out that way.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He was really raw coming out of college; he's still really raw.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
I hope CP84 proves me wrong. I really do. He's definitely got something special. It's up to him to maximize it. It's all going to come down to route running. Either he learns how to be crisper and find holes in the defense or he doesn't. Teddy isn't the kind of QB who throws it up for a big, athletic guy. He finds who's open and gives him the ball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%