Comparing Jared Sullinger and Julius Randle

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
One of the most legitimate reasons fans were so disappointed when Boston fell to sixth in the NBA Draft Lottery is the available talent. Had the Celtics gotten a top-4 pick, they likely would have been able to fill a position of need simply by drafting Andrew Wiggins, Dante Exum or Jabari Parker. Instead, the best players likely to be available are fours who probably wont be able to play center Noah Vonleh, Aaron Gordon and Julius Randle.

Randle is an interesting prospect for Boston. Many aspects of his game appear to be similar to a player the Celtics already have in place Jared Sullinger. After all, both had back-to-the-basket games and great advanced metrics in college, both are very strong but perhaps a little undersized, both are clearly power forwards who cant defend the rim. So why would Boston take Randle with its sixth pick?
Before we continue, lets run through some comparisons between the two.

http://www.celticshub.com/2014/05/30/2014-nba-draft-comparing-jared-sullinger-julius-randle/

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I think Vonleh could develop as a center, since he has solid shotblocking abilities. He has a 7'4.25" wingspan and a 9' standing reach

He is small (6'9.5", 245lbs) for a center, but he can offensively play in Stevens' spread offense system, and defensively just needs to be the shot blocker. Sullinger can take the bigger body if need be (think of a smaller, not as good version of Perk/Ibaka)

I don't see the reason to draft Randle, just to trade Sullinger. The difference between Sullinger and Randle is far less than the difference between the #6 overall pick, and whatever we would get for Sully. 

Gimme Vonleh or trade down to get one of the shooters (McDermott/Stauskas/Harris)

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
This comparison confuses me. I don't see how Sullinger and Randle are similar players at all.  The biggest reason why so many guys bust at the NBA level is because they can't adapt and grow to the physicality.  Randle comes out of the gate not lacking the physicality, he's thick and strong and mean.  Sullinger is also thick, but he never played at OSU with the same type of violence that Randle did at UK.  They're just different types of men.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Yeah that's why I didn't even bother with this topic when it first came out haha

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's been a while since I read the article, but if I remember correctly the article isn't so much about comparing the skill sets as it is just comparing the actual players and breaking down scenarios that could take place if Randle were drafted by Boston.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%