Chris Johnson of Titans OK with Short Term Contract Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooche

Reaction score
LOS ANGELES -- Chris Johnson said Wednesday night that his goal is to rush for 2,500 yards this season. First, however, he'll have to report to training camp -- something that is in doubt right now after the Tennessee Titans star running back skipped all of the team's offseason workouts over a contract dispute.

Johnson reiterated in an interview with ESPN's Hannah Storm backstage at the ESPY Awards -- where he won the Best Breakthrough Athlete Award -- that he's seeking a long-term deal, but said he'd also be satisfied wtih a short-term solution just to get him into camp.

"I want a long-term deal," Johnson said. "But if I don't get a long-term deal then a short-term deal just to get me to camp -- I have no problem with that."

He said he's not sure where his contract talks stand right now.

"I'm going to let my agent [Joel Segal] and the team handle that," he said.

The Titans reportedly have talked with Segal about converting incentives into a $2.5 million bonus to get Johnson more money for the 2010 season and get their top offensive weapon into training camp when it starts on July 31.

Johnson is scheduled to make $550,000 this season per terms of his current contract.

Earlier, in a red carpet interview with ESPN's Colleen Dominguez he described the contract talks as being at a "standstill."

Johnson ran for 2,006 yards in 2009 and has said he wants a long-term deal with at least $30 million guaranteed.

Titans quarterback Vince Young, who was also interviewed backstage at the ESPY Awards, said that he supports Johnson.

Young said he understands both Johnson's and the team's positions in the contract talks.

"I pray to God that he gets in [for the start of camp]," he said.

2500 yards? Really? Alright CJ, please take your head out of the clouds for us all. As for his current contract, $550,000 is really a low number for a top flight RB in the league, so I understand why he wants his contract re-worked.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
In his defense, he's had two, very productive seasons. If he's smart he gets as much out of them as he can as his body won't take the abuse of being ran over 350+ times a season.

If he's wise he takes as much out of the Titans pocket as possible.

But, I must say that I hate him for what he's doing.

They put you in this situation, they trusted a first round pick in you. Show some respect, shut the <Censored> up, and go play some football. Quit <Censored>ing about money, it's annoying.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Showing some respect would be the Titans giving a pay raise and long term security to the best RB in the NFL.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
I would never give him a long term contract. He takes so many hits, his career will be short.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I would never give him a long term contract. He takes so many hits, his career will be short.
He's only 24, a 4 year deal would be good for both sides.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Four years would be the max though. Look what happened to Ricky Williams when he went to Miami.

Mooche

Reaction score
He's only 24, a 4 year deal would be good for both sides.
I agree. 4 years would be the max I would be willing to pay him. Yes, he does deserve the money and to be paid, I mean he has dominated the NFL the past two seasons. However, his type of body in the RB position won't last over a long period of time. The amount of carries he is going to get and the amount of hits all add up. Look what he wants do this year. 2500 yards? With a 5 yard APC he will need to get like 31 touches or so to even have a shot at it. That is a lot of life for a RB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%