Chiefs Hoping To Capitalize On St. Louis Market

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score

The St. Louis Rams are long gone, now in Los Angeles, their new (old) home, where they'll play next season. But St. Louis remains, as do those fans who spent two decades cheering for the team that abandoned them earlier this month.

So now what?

The void could be an opportunity for the Kansas City Chiefs to sell themselves to the disaffected as the wholesome Midwestern alternative to the Rams' new Hollywood city-slicker persona. Kansas City is 250 miles from St. Louis.

"I've gotten texts and emails from fans saying 'I'm now a Chiefs fan,' and we appreciate all that," Chiefs president Mark Donovan said, via the Kansas City Star's Terez Paylor. "But we're going to take a strategic approach to that -- we're going to be respectful. They've been through a really tough process.

"We're going to continue to do what we do, and we think with the success we're having on the field and the success we're having off the field, it creates a great opportunity for us."

Donovan says that the Chiefs could have the chance to market themselves in the St. Louis area.

"The way the league rules work, there are differences with tickets, broadcast, television and radio (and) what you can and can't do," Donovan explained. "Because it's in the state we're in, we have some rights there from a marketing perspective, but you've seen other teams reach out already. Indianapolis put a little campaign together to welcome fans over to Indy, and like I said, we'll be strategic about it but we'll be respectful about it."

Indianapolis is 242 miles from St. Louis, though Donovan hopes Chiefs' game will be regularly broadcast in the St. Louis area.

"We'll see what happens," he said. "We're in conversations right now with the league on how the league's going to look at that, and we'll make our case there."
I am a bit curious to see which team, Indy or Kansas City, capitalizes the most on St. Louis fans.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
It may be tough for fans to cheer for a team from KC. I know their rivalry isn't crazy but it is still a rivalry. I would estimate something random like 45% go to Indy, 40% KC, 10% Chicago, 5% other.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I could see 5-10% not rooting for any team for at least 2 years. Some diehards just won't switch teams for the sake of switching teams. My grandfather was the same way. I know it was a different time, but back then when the Dodgers left NY he didn't root for any team until he started rooting for the Mets in the early 70s.

I'm probably the same way. If the Giants for whatever reason left NY 5 years from now, I don't think I'd root for a team for at LEAST 5 years. Maybe longer.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Yeah that's a good point. A lot of people will probably boycott the NFL for awhile. I'd expect a lot of new college football fans in the area

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%