Chi Sox Negotiating Shields Deal

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The White Sox and Padres are discussing a trade involving righty starter James Shields, and those negotiations have “significant momentum,” Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports. It’s unclear whether a deal is likely to be completed soon, however.

Shields gives up a lot of dingers for a US Cellular move. His back-loaded contract also makes any trade tricky.

catman

Reaction score
Agreed on both counts.  The Sox are going for it this year and need another arm.  Shields could do OK with Cooper as his pitching coach, but he could turn out to be just like the Shark was last season.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Interesting. They White Sox don't really have much of a farm, but I am sure something could be worked out. I would love James in Boston, but that is long gone, so a trade with the White Sox to rid themselves of Shields and add a prospect or two would be smart for the Padres.

brett05

Reaction score
The spec that is talked about seems to be the White Sox #2 spec in Tim Anderson.  If that is true, there best be a brinks truck following Shields to Chicago.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Big Papi said:
Interesting. They White Sox don't really have much of a farm, but I am sure something could be worked out. I would love James in Boston, but that is long gone, so a trade with the White Sox to rid themselves of Shields and add a prospect or two would be smart for the Padres.
How is it long gone?  Shields would have way more upside in Boston.  We could finally get rid of Joe Kelly.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Sox should be more worried about adding a bat instead of Shields

brett05

Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
Sox should be more worried about adding a bat instead of Shields
They need both plus another bullpen arm if they really want to make a push for this season.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
brett05 said:
They need both plus another bullpen arm if they really want to make a push for this season.
Their farm isn't that deep. I don't think they can add an impact arm and an impact bat in season

brett05

Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
Their farm isn't that deep. I don't think they can add an impact arm and an impact bat in season
Easier in season then out of season IMO.

But you are correct the farm is not deep at all. 

That said, they have a few pieces that are very attractive if the right player was made available

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
Deal is in advanced stages and expected to be completed in the next 24 hours according to Padres beat-writer. 

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Apparently a quiet bidding war between Chi Sox and KC went down. I'm thinking the Sox were willing to pick up more of the remaining $$ in order to make the deal and not mortgage the future. Shields as the #3 SP is great but not at his cost. Certainly doesn't help he went 2.2 IP, 1K, and 33+ ERA in his last start.

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal  3m3 minutes ago
Source confirms: Shields trade done, as others have reported. #Padres getting Johnson, Tatis Jr. from #WhiteSox. Significant cash to CWS.

catman

Reaction score
Will Shields be able to be effective at US Cellular Field?  Will Tatis and Johnson do well for the Padres?  Neither question is easily answerable at this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%