Charlotte splashes idea into pairing AI with Brown again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The Charlotte Bobcats have an owner who's losing millions and looking to sell. They've struggled to move tickets, win games and become relevant in a town that used to adore the NBA.

Allen Iverson could change that.

Pair the polarizing guard with coach Larry Brown again and they wouldn't just be talking about games in Charlotte, they'd be talking about practice, too.

Whether Iverson is reunited with his former adversary-turned-buddy Brown is Charlotte's most intriguing storyline as the NBA's free agency period opens Wednesday.

Iverson is a 34-year-old free agent, far removed from his NBA MVP days and certainly about to be paid much less than the nearly US$22 million he made last season when he was traded from Denver to Detroit.

Seven years after Iverson's famous "We're talking about practice!" rant directed at Brown when they were in Philadelphia, the two have made up.

Iverson was spotted in Charlotte in May, when Brown said he'd have no problems coaching him again and Iverson's agent indicated his client would be open to playing for the Bobcats.

Leon Rose declined further comment on Tuesday, but he's expected to talk to the Bobcats as the free agency negotiating period starts Wednesday.

"Even though there are things that went on during our careers, the work he did was phenomenal," Brown said recently. "He wants to win, he competes every night, he plays hurt."

Brown did question whether the Bobcats, who have never won more than 35 games in a season, would be a good fit for a player seeking to win an NBA title before retiring.

However, Rose said his client would have no qualms coming to Charlotte.

The Bobcats were the lowest-scoring team in the NBA last season, but Iverson's role here would be uncertain.

The Bobcats have depth in the backcourt.

They drafted shooting guard Gerald Henderson with the 12th pick to back up Raja Bell. D.J. Augustin is expected to again back up point guard Raymond Felton.

Charlotte last week gave Felton a one-year, US$5.5-million qualifying offer to make him a restricted free agent and plan to sign him to a long-term deal this summer.

"I don't see any situation where he will not be with this team," managing partner Michael Jordan said. "Granted, we've got a lot of business decisions to make and a lot of negotiations ahead. But I anticipate us keeping and signing Raymond Felton, without a doubt."

Under that scenario, Iverson would likely have to take on a lesser role, something he resisted in Detroit last season.

It's also uncertain if the two sides could agree on a contract. The Bobcats, who are over the salary cap, will probably not offer more than a mid-level exception of about US$5.6 million for a free agent.

Management has been told by owner Bob Johnson, who has slashed non-basketball payroll and is exploring selling the team, not to exceed the luxury tax threshold of about US$70 million.

"I don't think it's fair for us to get anywhere close to the luxury tax numbers," general manager Rod Higgins said. "We're just trying to get to the playoffs.

"We're not there yet, so it's going to be hard pressed for us to go to ownership and say we want to go to the tax level."

The Bobcats' biggest need is the frontcourt.

Injury-prone power forward Sean May becomes an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday after Charlotte declined to give him a one-year qualifying offer of US$3.7 million.

The Bobcats could still try to re-sign May for less, and they must address Boris Diaw's backup because veteran Juwan Howard is also a free agent. Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess, both of whom have played for Brown, are available.

Charlotte has big money tied up in reserve big men Nazr Mohammed (US$13.2 million owed over the next two seasons) and DeSagana Diop (US$19.4 million over three years), but didn't make a draft-week trade to clear cap space to be a major player in free agency.

With Cleveland, Orlando, Atlanta and Washington all making recent deals, the Bobcats may have a tough time becoming a playoff team in an improved Eastern Conference next season if they don't make a move or two to upgrade offensively.

Notes: Johnson again declined an interview request Tuesday, two days after the Houston Chronicle reported former Rockets executive George Postolos made an inquiry about buying the Bobcats. Postolos declined comment in an e-mail response. ... With the Bobcats not fielding a summer league team to save money, Henderson will play for Minnesota's entry in Las Vegas July 10-19. Second-round pick Derrick Brown will play for Utah in Orlando July 6-10.

Copyright © 2009 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.
Add News to your iGoogle Homepage Add News to your Google Homepage
The Canadian Press
Map
Charlotte please don't fukk this up... AI is known to sell seats and this will be the last franchise everyone will have there. Just think he is finally playing with OK to good players again... They also would have one of the fastest backcourt in the league.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Charlotte is irrelevant to the rest of the league right now...Charlotte NEEDS Allen Iverson. I don't see any other team in the NBA that would value him more and where else would AI make more headlines? Just imagine the media attention to a "Larry Brown, Allen Iverson" re-union.

This would be a great move to steer this franchise into the public eye. I know the goal is to win championships...but right now, the Bobcats need to make some money.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I will say if they did sign AI, I would go to more games and not just the games they play against the Knicks.

It would w/o a doubt spark more interest in the team, and they do lack a goto scorer, Wallace can score but his offensive game is more "drive and crash" even though he has added a 3pt shot to his game.

But the Bobcats should jump on this, if not I hope we bring him to NY, which is his only other possible destination (at least thats what Ive read)

TB7

Reaction score
I really hope that the Cats do not waste money on AI because then with Felton signing his tender, the Bobcats would most likely be in the luxury tax threshold.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I really hope that the Cats do not waste money on AI because then with Felton signing his tender, the Bobcats would most likely be in the luxury tax threshold.
AI would take up some cap room but he wouldn't put the Cats into luxury tax bracket. Either way this team needs to get asses in the seats or else paying luxury tax won't be their biggest problem. Iverson can single-handedly make that happen.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And he would be the missing piece in them making the playoffs, they're a good team, but dont have a goto scorer, AI would fit that perfectly..

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
If anything, I bet he signs a 1-year deal with this club, because I'm sure they want some money for next year.

lilja

Reaction score
they should take AI. hes a beast... just got put on the wrong team in detroit. 2010 is overrated anyway

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
they should take AI. hes a beast... just got put on the wrong team in detroit. 2010 is overrated anyway
If LeBron ends up re-signing with the Cavs...then your absolutely right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%