Charlotte Bobcats narrow coaching search to Jerry Sloan, Brian Shaw and Quin Snyder

loopydude3

Reaction score
The Charlotte Bobcats have narrowed their coaching search to three candidates: Former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, Indiana Pacers assistant Brian Shaw and Los Angeles Lakers assistant Quin Snyder, an NBA source confirmed Monday night.

ESPN.com first reported those three as the Bobcats’ finalists from an original list of 10 candidates.

The Bobcats are expected to hold a second round of interviews soon for Shaw and Snyder, so that each of them can speak with Bobcats owner Michael Jordan. Jordan was present in Salt Lake City when the team initially interviewed Sloan.

The Bobcats are hiring a replacement for Paul Silas, after the team announced in late April that Silas’ contract would not be renewed following 1 ½ seasons as coach.

Sloan, 70, is a Hall of Fame coach who twice got the Jazz to the NBA Finals. Both times the Jazz lost to Bulls teams starring Jordan.

Sloan coached 19 Jazz teams to the playoffs. His regular-season record (he also coached the Bulls three seasons from 1979 to 1982) is 1221-803, a 60.3 winning percentage.

Sloan has been out of coaching 1 ½ seasons after resigning from the Jazz. He’s made a point of saying he’s not deterred about taking over a Bobcats team that went 7-59 last season.

Neither Shaw nor Snyder has been a head coach in the NBA. However, Snyder coached Missouri previously and was also a head coach in the NBA’s development league.

Shaw was the last of 10 candidates interviewed, as the Bobcats waited for the Pacers to be eliminated by the Miami Heat in the second round of the playoffs. If Shaw gets the job, he’d likely install the Triangle offense he learned while playing and coaching for Phil Jackson. Jordan ran the Triangle while playing for Jackson as a Bull.

Shaw might also be a candidate for the coaching opening with the Orlando Magic once that franchise hires a new general manager. Shaw has deep ties to the Magic organization.

Snyder, a former Duke point guard, is a bit of a wild card in this process, as he’s not currently lead assistant with the Lakers. However, he’s a high-intellect guy who’s known to be an innovator offensively. The Bobcats were among the NBA’s worst teams last season in offense, as measured by both points-per-game and field-goal percentage.

The Bobcats hope to have a coach hired in time for him to have input on what to do with the No. 2 overall pick in the June 28 draft. However, team management said from the start of the process that it felt no time pressure to make a hire.
http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2012/06/charlotte-bobcats-narrow-coaching-search-to-jerry-sloan-brian-shaw-and-quin-snyder.html

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
whoa we actually have a bobcat fan on here. I admire your strength lol

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
this makes two bobcat fans, dez is a fan too. welcome back to the board man.

anyways, if jerry sloan truly is interested; which he is.. why not just hire the dude? he clearly wants to coach again and wants to coach that team lol. hire him.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Off topic, but damn, that Augustin sig is about 4 or 5 years old... haven't seen that in a while.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
and its still dope

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree with Pugz, Jerry Sloan is the best candidate hands down.

For some reason my gut also tells me Snyder would fit well too, why? Idk just a feeling.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
i'm surprised teams aren't climbing over mountains to hire Sloan.

I'd hate to see Sloan come back and not find success. but turning that team around would be a great challenge.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jerry sloan has withdrawn his name from consideration for the head coaching position of the Charlotte Bobcats.

The franchise is expected to choose between Quin Snyder and Brian Shaw.

"I took myself out today," Sloan said by phone. "I don't want to comment on it because it's never profitable for anybody. It just makes it sound like you're making a statement about someone. But they were wonderful and there were no problems. I just took myself out."

Sloan insisted he wasn't disappointed.

"No, not at all," he said. "Whatever happens, happens. I don't have any control over those things. I just do what we've got to do. If somebody calls me, I guess I'd listen to what they have to say. But I don't have an agent, and if somebody calls I'd be willing to listen to them."

Via Sam Amick/SI.com
damn. wonder if hes gonna get a shot elsewhere. maybe orlando?

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
guess bobcats told pacers that shaw is no longer a candidate for the job. So synder it is?

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
LOL Quin Snyder

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
they hired St. John's assistant coach Mike Dunlap
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8070083/sources-charlotte-bobcats-pick-mike-dunlap-coach

he was a Denver assistant under George Karl a few years ago

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%