Chad Ford draft chat

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Good chat with Chad Ford, it starts talking about the playoffs and other things but the majority is the draft.

Chris (Phoenix)

Although it would almost certainly never happen, what would the hypothetical demands be to land the #1 draft pick via trade? Basically, what is Anthony Davis's approximate trade value before ever playing an NBA game?

Chad Ford (1:26 PM)

It depends on the team that gets the No. 1 pick. But given his size and upside, I think it would require a Top 10 player in the league or multiple young All-Stars. The one scenario where I could see it getting traded? The Nets land the No. 1 pick and trade it to Orlando for Dwight Howard.
Fran (Bristol)

Bradley Beal or Jeremy Lamb?

Chad Ford (1:33 PM)

My colleague Fran Fraschilla took this topic on in Insider yesterday and Fran leaned toward Lamb. However, Beal is No. 3 on our Big Board and Lamb is No. 11. I'm obviously leaning the other direction for two reasons. Fran makes a lot of good points and Lamb clearly has an important size advantage. But two things I'd consider. One, is that Beal is, in my opinion a much more aggressive player and has a better motor. Teams are concerned with Lamb's ability to coast and his lack of experience being a go to player. Second, I think you have to factor in that Beal was one of the two or three best high school players in the country who went to a team that at times played four guards and played him out of position. By the end of the season, Beal had clearly surpassed Lamb. I think he's a better shooter, will be a better scorer and I'd take him ahead of Lamb at the top of the draft. However, I think there's a very good chance that Lamb could be a top 6 or 7 pick.
Joshua Vahcic (Cleveland, Ohio)

If the Cavaliers end up with the 2nd pick overall in the draft, who do you think they will draft? Bradley Beal or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist?

Chad Ford (1:35 PM)

Great question. I think it's something several teams including the Wizards, Cavs and Raptors would struggle with. I think Wizards & Raptors would lean MKG. Cavs would lean Beal right now.
d (nh)

based on potential alone who would be top 5 in this draft

Chad Ford (1:42 PM)

Pure potential? 1. Anthony Davis 2. Andre Drummond 3. Perry Jones 4. Tony Wroten Jr 5. Harrison Barnes
Mel (Denver)

based on ability to play in the NBA right now, who would be top 5 in this draft?

Chad Ford (1:44 PM)

Most NBA ready? 1. Anthony Davis 2. Thomas Robinson 3. Brad Beal 4. Jared Sullinger 5. Dion Waiters
Greg (Phoenix, AR)

Where would Derrick Williams go in this draft?

Chad Ford (1:44 PM)

5 to 10
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/43835

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Umm, Harrison Barnes is not exactly what I would call a high ceiling player.

I agree with him on the Cavs between Beal and MKG. I love MKG, but with our lack of scoring outside of Kyrie, I don't think we can afford to take someone who needs a lot of development offensively at the wing. Beal is a much better fit.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Umm, Harrison Barnes is not exactly what I would call a high ceiling player.

I agree with him on the Cavs between Beal and MKG. I love MKG, but with our lack of scoring outside of Kyrie, I don't think we can afford to take someone who needs a lot of development offensively at the wing. Beal is a much better fit.
A guy that played in the post exclusively in HS and already has the talent he has playing on the wing? Absolutely he has a high ceiling.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A guy with very little ability to get to the rim as a SF, with no handles is not a high ceiling player. Just the opposite. He's more of a safe pick than a high ceiling pick. He'll be reliable shooter.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A guy with very little ability to get to the rim as a SF, with no handles is not a high ceiling player. Just the opposite. He's more of a safe pick than a high ceiling pick. He'll be reliable shooter.
Didn't you once say that the NBA is where you make real improvements in your game? A guy that has played in the post his entire career won't have the ability to get to the rim in only two years of playing on the wing in a competitive game. Barnes has a ton of work to do, and probably won't meet his ceiling, but to say he doesn't have one is stupid.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He can't get to the rim because of his poor ball handling, and that's not something you just suddenly become good at in the NBA. It's hard to develop handles this late in the game, really hard.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
if you dont have handles at his age then he wont get much better in his pro career. cheato was spot on..

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's 19, he has plenty of time to develop that as long as he puts in the necessary work. He's hardly finished growing as a player, especially since he's relatively new to the wing position.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
handles are pretty much something you're born with in this sport. he isn't going to get much better handling the ball. thats not saying hes a bad prospect. he'll be just fine in the league.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You can absolutely positively develop better ball handling. Am I saying you can go from a guy who struggles at it to DWade or Eric Gordon during your career? I'm not, that won't happen. But you can certainly develop that ability and add that too your game as long as you get the right coach and have the work ethic. Ball handling drills has always been and always will be the first thing any coach goes to during practice, ball handling drills to develop that even better. There are workouts dedicated to nothing but developing your ball handling. Jason Otter, Ganon Baker, Kevin Eastman (Boston), Jay Hernandez, and Micah Lancaster are all guys who specialize in developing ball handling.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
its a mental thing too. he doesn't have good enough handles now and he may develop a better handle but wont trust them as much..

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Barnes has no handle and can't get to the rim at all...Guy is just a jumpshooter in the league..I don't really see much other than a solid starter who gives you about 14 ppg..

BTW: He went to CP3 camp to improve his ball handling and it was still terrible..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%