Calvin Johnson tells team he will retire

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson told his family and head coach Jim Caldwell that 2015 was his last season, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Johnson gave his head coach the message a day after the Lions' regular season ended with Caldwell reportedly telling Johnson to take his time with the decision, a source told ESPN.

The five-time Pro Bowler told only two teammates of his retirement plans during the season, asking quarterback Matthew Stafford and linebacker Stephen Tulloch to keep his decision private.

After another dismal 6-10 season, the seventh losing campaign of his nine year career, Johnson relayed the information to the organization, putting out a statement to the public stating:

"Like many players at this stage of their career, I am currently evaluating options for my future. I would expect to have a decision regarding this matter in the not-too-distant future."

While no decision has been made official, Johnson's ailing physical health is thought to be a big factor in his consideration. General body soreness and persistent ankle and knee injuries have dogged Johnson over the past few seasons.

The Lions will carry a $12.9 million cap hit if Johnson proceeds with his retirement decision.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
https://vine.co/v/iWxiduWODBX

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
There is talk that Caldwell told him to not make his decision yet and think about it longer.  Johnson agreed and now hasn't officially retired yet. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
he's still going to retire imo. if he's done, i dont want him back anyways. we dont need to waste another year of his time

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Fucking Lions.  Ruining Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson for everyone else.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
now the lions seem to be butthurt. supposedly if he plans to play next year he has to agree to an extension that lowers his cap hit. just let the dude retire and move on.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Hurricane Season said:
Fucking Lions.  Ruining Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson for everyone else.
I was about to post something similar to this. Barry is my #1 RB of all-time and Calvin is definitely top 5. These 2 players deserved more moments in the playoffs and its really sad that we didnt get to see them in clutch moments.

In only 2 playoff games he had 296 receiving yards and 2 TDs. I wanted to see more!

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
Sanders will always be my favorite player that is not a Cardinals player.  He made me a fan of the Detroit before the cardinals move to Arizona.  If Detroit had traded Sanders, where ever he was traded to would be my new favorite team.  He just was so damn awesome to watch! 

Sucks Calvin is retiring, but its time.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
The Lions have won 1 playoff game since 1957.....

Wow

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
but we won an nfc championship

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Shaggy said:

How with only one playoff win?
we actually have four championships but they all came before the nfl/afl merger. we take winning serious.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
im still happy for him.

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
Poor guy, was a top WR and never won the big game!  Sounds like Fitz, but he isn't retiring yet. ;)

Iceman

Reaction score
So we have CJ, Lynch, Manning (has to, right?), Woodson and what other big time players are hanging them up??

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Not in the same category as those guys, but Jerod Mayo too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%