Bware's Power Rankings, 1st Edition

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
1. Patriots
I know--I hate it, too, but until somebody in the AFC makes them look human, this is how the chips will fall each week. 

2. Bengals
Andy Dalton looks like a real, actual NFL quarterback. Who would have thought? The Red Rifle's TD:INT ratio is flat out great right now (something like 14:2). He's finding multiple targets, developing a rhythm with different weapons all over the field. You factor in perhaps the most dynamic 1-2 running back combo, and this Bengals offense will only falter if it gets in its own way. The defense looks pretty good so far, with opposing coaches raving about their cornerbacks, in particular. It's also nice to see Geno Atkins playing well again.

3. Packers
 You know what's frustrating? Putting the Packers at #3 as a team that has looked exceptionally vulnerable against not-so-great competition. They've yet to play a playoff contending team, as their opponents have a combined record of 11-23. You can't help who you play, but you can not trail a punchless Seattle team in the fourth quarter. You can not allow teams like Kansas City and San Diego to put up such impressive offensive performances. You can figure out a way to beat hapless teams like St. Louis, Chicago, and San Francisco more convincingly. They got the wins. They're 6-0. They also happen to be very vulnerable. A tough road test coming out of the bye at Mile High will be a nice litmus test. 

4. Broncos
 Speaking of non-convincing wins, say hello to the Denver Broncos. It's like they're playing with Tim Tebow all over again, but the deep ball just isn't an option because Peyton Manning grimaces on any throw that's longer than 10 yards. He simply can't grip the ball anymore. Fortunately for him, Denver's defense is far and away the best this league has seen in a few years--they're better than what the Seahawks boasted for 2 of the last 3 years. Aqib Talib is dominating everybody but Stefon Diggs so far (and I think we can equate that to not having any film on Diggs), and Chris Harris Jr. graded out as the best overall CB in the league last year. Denver is built to win even with shoddy QB play, and this just might be the kind of team that can give Peyton Manning the swan song he's looking for.

5. Jets
 Next in line on defense are the New York Jets, whose offense is pulling its weight by punishing opposing defenses via Chris Ivory and allowing Ryan Fitzpatrick to be just good enough thanks to Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. Darrelle Revis and Co. are playing great defense, and their secondary is the deepest in the league. There are places where guys like Buster Skrine and Marcus Williams are undoubted starters. Todd Bowles has the entire depth chart making plays, it seems. Don't sleep on this team.

6. Falcons
 Matt Ryan is having the kind of resurgence that Tony Romo had last year, though his dependence on Julio Jones is rather troublesome. Not because Jones doesn't deserve targets but because Atlanta's passing game can't be punchless if he's ever out for a week or two. Roddy White and Leonard Hankerson need to be targeted more frequently to take some pressure away from Julio, and perhaps force defenses to pay more attention to other targets. Dan Quinn has the Falcons defense playing significantly better, though they clearly are missing a few key pieces. Freeman has been a revelation at running back, but I implore the Falcons to be careful with a small back. Too many touches early in the season and he might flame out later on.

7. Panthers
 This team continues to win when it seems all but inevitable that they collapse. A revitalized defense and emerging Josh Norman are making it all possible. I still think this is one of the most poorly-coached teams in the league, but it's hard to ignore what they're doing right now. They go as Cam goes on offense. Their defense will keep them in games when he's struggling.

8. Steelers
What an offense. Even without Ben Roethlisberger, this team is dangerous every time they snap the ball. Le'Veon Bell, Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, Markus Wheaton, Heath Miller--they have weapons galore and when Ben returns, I think we'll find out who's going to be knocking on New England's door in January. The defense is playing a lot better than expected, and that can't be overlooked. 

9. Cardinals
You know, I was drinking the Kool-Aid early on, but this team is faltering in places that it shouldn't. Losing to St. Louis is pathetic if you consider yourself a Super Bowl contender, and you have to find a way to beat Landry Jones and Mike Vick. I'll say one thing about the Arizona Cardinals right now--their losses are much more telling than their wins.

10. Giants
NFC East matchups almost always include some puzzling results, and Monday's 27-7 Eagles win is no different. The Eagles aren't any good, easily the third best team in the East behind Dallas and NYG. The Giants simply suffered from Eli's first bad game of the season, and he'd been so good leading up to it that we knew a vintage EL-INT peformance was due. Don't read too much into Monday's loss, Giants fans. I'm not convinced that you're good either, but truth be told, the NFL is really close this year. Anybody can beat anybody under the right circumstances.

11. Bills
 Talk about a puzzling team right here. Buffalo can look great one week and terrible the next. Jekyll and Hyde at their finest. Their QB situation is closer than we realized after EJ Manuel was fairly impressive against Cincinnati. Tyrod Taylor still looks like the better quarterback, but it's definitely a competition. Let's see if EJ can lead the team to a win sans Watkins and the MIA Percy Harvin, who seems to be emotionally overwhelmed at the moment. It's hard not to feel somewhat bad for the guy, but then you remember his LBS (Little Bitch Syndrome) moments in Minnesota and Seattle and you're not so bothered. Rex has the defense playing great some weeks, leaking like a sieve in others. The Bills need to show us which will show its face more often as the season progresses.

12. Colts
 They're poorly coached. They're questionable at key positional groups. Their quarterback likes to turn the ball over. And yet, they're still a top 15 NFL team. What a world we live in. Hopefully Andre Johnson continues to show that he's not finished yet. The Colts need to lean on Frank Gore and reel in Andrew Luck somewhat, because they're not good enough to overcome mistakes on a consistent basis.

13. Seahawks
 Oh how grand it is to see the Seahawks struggling, and to see that Russell Wilson was definitely, undeniably overpaid. Spending ridiculous money has backfired on many, and it looks like the Seahawks are next in line for that designation. Jimmy Graham has been all but invisible. Marshawn Lynch can't find any room behind that 3rd string offensive line. Cary Williams is one of their starting corners. No matter how poor this offense has been, Carroll and Bevell insist on starting special teamers at the WR position when they've got big, fast receivers in Ricardo Lockette and Chris Matthews waiting in the wings to take over. We had a Lockette sighting, last week. Are the Seahawks finally starting to figure it out that no matter how mad Doug Baldwin gets when people question his and Kearse's abilities, it doesn't change the fact that they're 4th and 5th receivers on many NFL rosters?

14. Vikings
 I love my team, and I believe in what they're building, but they're not a high level team until Teddy Bridgewater starts throwing more touchdown passes. He's on pace for 10, TEN, touchdown passes right now, and that just isn't OK. He also has a tendency to kill drives with bad INTs. He can look great for 60 yards, and then cough it up ala Jay Cutler. He's being out-performed by others in his QB class by miles. I like the kid--he hasn't even started 25 games yet--but he needs to find the endzone when he has a plethora of weapons at his disposal. The defense, on the other hand, has been incredible. Anthony Barr is momentum shifting talent who makes plays in every single game. Eric Kendricks has been great at MLB. Xavier Rhodes is the most penalized CB in the league, but he's also minimizing every single #1 threat he faces. I'll take the flags if it means guys like Calvin Johnson and Jeremy Maclin are held in check. The defensive line has been nothing short of ferocious. Joseph and Floyd are eating. Everson Griffin has been a stud, even though he missed the KC game with illness. Hell, they're even getting production out of undersized rookie Danielle Hunter. This defensive line is excellent. 

15. Cowboys
 They are decent quarterback play away from being 4-1 coming out of their bye, but an injury to Tony Romo has flipped them on their heads. Thankfully, the Brandon Weeden experiment is over--good on, him--he didn't actively lose games for Dallas, but he was absolutely too scared to take any risks whatsoever. The defense got a big boost from the incredibly naive and unintelligent but talented Greg Hardy, and Randy Gregory looks like he's ready to return. Sean Lee is still active in October. Last but not least, can we give it up for Mo Claiborne? It's great to see this kid having some success.

16. Chargers
 I don't like this team at all. Their OL isn't healthy and their defense is politely getting out of the way for opposing running backs. There are no playoff hopes without improvement in the trenches. Don't be surprised if the Raiders put them on ice this weekend.

17. Raiders
 I know this seems high, but any team with game-changers on both sides of the ball is dangerous. Kahlil Mack and Amari Cooper have finally removed the "auto-win" sticker from the Raiders in regard to the better teams in the NFL. They're dangerous, and if they can get on a roll somewhere this season, they may spoil some playoff hopes.

18. Lions
 Way too high, right? The Lions are a few bounces away from being 3-3 and right in the thick of the Wild Card race. Bad luck against Denver and the worst officiating gaffe in recent history resulted in losses for a team finds a way to stick around with most opponents. Recent injuries may hurt them in the long run--losing Zach Zenner takes away their bulldozer because Bell will never stay healthy consistent enough to provide that style. It's all up to Ameer Abdullah, now, from a running standpoint, and without the tough-yardage back to wear down opponents, his numbers will continue to be unimpressive.

19. Rams
 Todd Gurley is a revelation, and the Rams have a chance to string some wins together if Nick Foles can just not suck. They also need to quit losing games they should win. The Rams will give everything they have against a good team, then falter against pure shit like Washington. It makes no sense.

20. Eagles
 I'm not buying this little two game winning streak. They're still terrible, and they will continue to lose to superior opponents even with this one anomaly against the Giants.

21. Dolphins
 Yeah, they responded to Dan Campbell, but they still have a shit quarterback with a huge ego and no running game. Welcome to mediocrity, Miami.

22. Texans
 Just another decent team with a terrible quarterback. Put competency at the most important position on the field and this team is leading its division. DeAndre Hopkins is feasting on opposing defenses, though.

23. Browns
 Josh McCown looks competent again. Gary Barnidge has the least-football name of any NFL player I've ever seen but he has emerged. The Crowbar is good for a few exciting runs a game. You never know when Travis Benjamin will strike. The Browns are fun to watch, sometimes because they look great, most of the time because of their sheer ineptitude. 

24. Bucs
 This is another team that can win on any week during the season. They can explode offensively, and are perhaps shoring up their defense away from being more competitive. Another lesser team that's fun to watch.

25. Bears
 Like the Lions, the Bears are a few bounces of the ball away from a decent record, but they are finding ways to lose. 

26. Ravens
 Crockett Gilmore, Kamar Aiken--Joe Flacco's two favorite targets not named Steve Smith so far. I have no clue who they are, either. 

27. Redskins
 Another Jekyll and Hyde team. They'll beat some teams that they shouldn't but otherwise will falter to 5-11 or 6-10.

28. Titans
 They are who we thought they were. 

29. Saints
 My god, I love it when this team sucks.

30. 49ers
 My god, I love it when this team sucks.

31. Jags
 Bortles looks better. The defense looks like it has regressed. That will probably cost Gus Bradley his job.

32. Chiefs
 lolAndyReid

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
What did the saints do to you lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UUeqvquXZI

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not liking a team because they beat you is silly.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
It's the intent to injure that I bet he's annoyed with

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
The intent to injure, the constant Sean Payton knob slobbering that the media was and is still doing. Anybody with two eyes can see that he's overrated.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Also, the Giants being the 10th best team without a winning record shows the league's current parity. The Top 9 teams are so far ahead of the others, that 10-21 are all almost interchangable.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Just an honest take, it seems that the teams you are more open in your support of, you have a more optimistic take "this team is a few bounces away from being X-Y", whereas teams you aren't as fond of you don't give them that courtesy.

I've always thought that just about any team is a few bounces away from the playoffs in the NFL given that it's only a 16 game season, and that the teams that get those bounces more often than not, do so because they're the better team.
The Cowboys are too high at the moment. At the current start they're out now they're worse than a bunch of the teams below them. Give them their players back and it's a different story, but they don't have that right now,.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
^^^get a load of this hot take 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Also, that was quite a long write up with mostly positive things to say about the Vikings, a 3-2 team whose three wins are over teams with a combined record of 3-14.

But I do like that you didn't just automatically drop/bury teams that have started slow. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
The intent to injure, the constant Sean Payton knob slobbering that the media was and is still doing. Anybody with two eyes can see that he's overrated.
But there was no intent to injure?

And I can't remember Payton getting more credit than he deserved. He was given credit for how great he was scheming offensively, which was fair. He has been criticized his fair share as well, but maybe you missed that.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Just an honest take, it seems that the teams you are more open in your support of, you have a more optimistic take "this team is a few bounces away from being X-Y", whereas teams you aren't as fond of you don't give them that courtesy.

I've always thought that just about any team is a few bounces away from the playoffs in the NFL given that it's only a 16 game season, and that the teams that get those bounces more often than not, do so because they're the better team.
The Cowboys are too high at the moment. At the current start they're out now they're worse than a bunch of the teams below them. Give them their players back and it's a different story, but they don't have that right now,.

I'm sure this is relating to my ranking of Baltimore? That has more to do with all of their defensive injuries than anything. It's not that I don't think they could easily be something like 3-3, it's that their defense is not good enough to hold up while Joe Flacco "figures the game out" for 3 quarters. I don't know what it is about this Ravens offense, but I've noticed a trend over the past two years where they absolutely struggle to score for the first 2-3 quarters of the game. They can't take so long to get going.

elcheato said:
Also, that was quite a long write up with mostly positive things to say about the Vikings, a 3-2 team whose three wins are over teams with a combined record of 3-14.

But I do like that you didn't just automatically drop/bury teams that have started slow. 

I thought I ripped into Teddy pretty hard. The positive stuff is about the defense, which is playing very well. I placed them lower than most rankings you see the "professionals" draw up.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
good read tho bware.

do the nba pickem again. a select amount of weekly games tho i think woukd be better. do it.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
I'm sure this is relating to my ranking of Baltimore? That has more to do with all of their defensive injuries than anything. It's not that I don't think they could easily be something like 3-3, it's that their defense is not good enough to hold up while Joe Flacco "figures the game out" for 3 quarters. I don't know what it is about this Ravens offense, but I've noticed a trend over the past two years where they absolutely struggle to score for the first 2-3 quarters of the game. They can't take so long to get going.
It wasn't just the Ravens, it was other teams too, but the Ravens are definitely a good example

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%