Bruins Acquire Tomas Kaberle

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Tomas Kaberle's time as a Toronto Maple Leaf has finally come to an end.

After 12 seasons in blue and white, the Maple Leafs have traded the veteran defenceman to the Boston Bruins in exchange for prospect centre Joe Colborne, the Bruins' first round pick in 2011 and a conditional second round draft pick.

"On behalf of our entire organization I would like to thank Tomas for all of his many outstanding contributions to the Toronto Maple Leafs on the ice, and in the community. He has been a model citizen and it's never easy to trade a player that has conducted himself as professionally as Tomas has for the past 13 years," president and general manager Brian Burke said.

Kaberle, 32, has been a mainstay on the Leafs' blue line for the past decade and is the second-highest scoring defenceman in team history behind Borje Salming - with 83 goals and 437 assists in 878 games. Kaberle led the Leafs in assists this season with 35 and he is third in blocked shots with 100.

"He's consistent every night at what he does," said defenceman Luke Schenn. "He establishes the setup on the power play, makes that great breakout pass, logs big minutes for our team every night. There's no question that he is one of the top defencemen in the league and has been for the last 10 years or so."

Maple Leafs forward Colby Armstrong said he often let his play on the ice speak for itself.

"He's here, first guy in the morning all the time and he's ready to go," said Armstrong. "You can't say enough about him as a teammate and obviously his play on the ice ... (he's) a real good player."

While the Leafs haven't made the playoffs since the 2003-04 season, Kaberle has played in 77 career post-season games. He also represented the Maple Leafs at four NHL All-Star Games and he participated in the past three Winter Olympic Games for the Czech Republic.

The Bruins will be on the hook for the remainder of Kaberle's $4.25 million contract. He will be an unrestricted free agent in the summer.

Colborne, 21, was Boston's first-round selection (16th overall) in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft and is currently playing in his first professional season. He is third in goals with 12 for AHL's Providence Bruins and tied for third in team scoring this season with 26 points. The Calgary, Alberta native spent two years at the University of Denver and was named to the All-WCHA Rookie Team in 2008-09.

"We are happy to add another first-round draft pick and a solid prospect in Joe Colborne," Burke added. "He brings a unique combination of skill, vision and size."

Colborne will report directly to the Toronto Marlies, the Leafs' AHL affiliate.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354402

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I am really hoping Burke has a plan to flip the two first acquired this week.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I like Colborne a lot too. When people found out about this, I was the only one at school who knew who he was.

fletch

Reaction score
Yeah my friends had no idea who he was smh, I'm pretty pysched to see this deal go down, B's are my 2nd fave team so it's pretty sweet.

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
How would people not know who Colborne is? They must not follow hockey to closely if they don't even know a player that was drafted in the first round only 3 years ago.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea who will take Kaberle's A. Should be Schenn IMO, but Kulemin and Armstrong are candidates too.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Still kinda pissed Colborne was involved. I think he's gonna be a good player, despite what some people think.

KrW

Reaction score
I like this trade as a leafs fan, We get a first round pick + a prospect, and could get another 2nd rounder

H-MYK

Reaction score
^^ Seconded. I wish Kaberle the best of luck with Boston and wherever team he decides to sign at in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%