Broncos Asked Kaepernick to Take Pay Cut?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
"Source indicated that #Broncos have asked QB Colin Kaepernick to take a pay cut to approximately $7M for 2016 season if #49ers trade him." -@JasonColeBR

That's interesting. Kaepernick's $11.9 million salary was guaranteed for 2016 at 4 pm today. The Niners seem content to keep him around despite the QB's request that he be traded.

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
The 49ers are a mess. If they were smart they would have worked with a team to cut his salary and trade him for an asset that they'll actually use. They burned so many bridges when they benched him last season.

BNC

Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
The 49ers are a mess. If they were smart they would have worked with a team to cut his salary and trade him for an asset that they'll actually use. They burned so many bridges when they benched him last season.
It's Kaepernick that needs to agree to cut his salary, not the 49ers

cavsfan817

Reaction score
BNC said:
It's Kaepernick that needs to agree to cut his salary, not the 49ers
They had at least one biter in Cleveland (a place that Kaep had said he wanted to play) and they couldn't get a deal done there. I think that they had suitors, they just didn't pursue it hard enough.

BNC

Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
They had at least one biter in Cleveland (a place that Kaep had said he wanted to play) and they couldn't get a deal done there. I think that they had suitors, they just didn't pursue it hard enough.
That's not at all what this thread is about. Kaepernick needed to agree to take a pay cut to advance the trade talks

cavsfan817

Reaction score
BNC said:
That's not at all what this thread is about. Kaepernick needed to agree to take a pay cut to advance the trade talks
You're missing the point. He publicly stated he wanted to go there at that time, and there was even talks about renegotiating his deal. The Browns then backed off and the 49ers didn't pursue it further.

tyfreak

Members
Reaction score
Should not be any interest In him whatsoever given his current contract situation.

BNC

Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
You're missing the point. He publicly stated he wanted to go there at that time, and there was even talks about renegotiating his deal. The Browns then backed off and the 49ers didn't pursue it further.
So it's the 49ers fault the Browns didn't want him?

cavsfan817

Reaction score
BNC said:
So it's the 49ers fault the Browns didn't want him?
Is your goal to just play devil's advocate, or are you really not getting what I'm saying? If you have a deal in principle, and then one team loses interest, you're telling me that there's absolutely NOTHING that the other team can do? As in... lower your price, be willing to pay more of the contract, negotiate, etc.? Now they're stuck with arguably the worst contract in the league for a guy that may not even start this year.

BNC

Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
Is your goal to just play devil's advocate, or are you really not getting what I'm saying? If you have a deal in principle, and then one team loses interest, you're telling me that there's absolutely NOTHING that the other team can do? As in... lower your price, be willing to pay more of the contract, negotiate, etc.? Now they're stuck with arguably the worst contract in the league for a guy that may not even start this year.
I'm just saying that your initial post didn't really have anything to do with the point of this thread. They don't have to lower their price if they're not desperate to get rid of him

cavsfan817

Reaction score
BNC said:
I'm just saying that your initial post didn't really have anything to do with the point of this thread. They don't have to lower their price if they're not desperate to get rid of him
I feel like they were desperate (or at least should have been) to trade him, but when they weren't willing to add to the deal or lower their price with teams they couldn't find a taker. It would have been a waste to cut him, aside from cap savings, so they probably just decided to bite the bullet and keep him when nobody offered what they wanted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%