Bret Favre Calls It Quits

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
FoxSports
The most storied quarterback career in NFL history is coming to a close.

FOXSports.com has learned that legendary quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire. In fact, it's believed he informed the Packers of his decision within the last few days, although it's unclear when Favre and the team will make his decision known.
LINK

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
WOW.

as crazy as it sounds I never thought I would see Favre retire. He's definently a future HOFer.

Ill bet Aaron Rogers comes in and leads the Pack to a 9-7 record, kid is good. I just feel bad that it was the Giants that handed him a L in his last game.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
if the Packers had been more aggressive in Free Agency and got some key names, I bet this would've been different.

but, it's sad to see the man go -- he was definitely one of the best ever

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that according to Favre's agent, Buss Cook, Favre informed Packers coach Mike McCarthy of his decision Monday night.

Mortensen said in a phone message Favre left for him Tuesday morning, the longtime Packers starter said he felt worn down by the demands of the game, adding that he and his wife Deanna thought anything short of a Super Bowl title would be a disappointment and not worth the mental wear and tear.

A sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer, Favre, acquired in a trade with the Atlanta Falcons, led the Packers back to the NFL's elite. He retires with 5,377 carrer completions in 8,758 attempts for 61,655 yards, 442 touchdowns and 288 interceptions, passing Dan Marino's touchdown mark last season.

As a player Favre was known for his durability, his willingness to take risks and turn broken plays into big gains, as well as for the way his love for the game was evident in the way he played. He went to a pair of Super Bowls in 1996 and 1997, winning it all on his first try in Super Bowl XXXI, and was named to nine Pro Bowls.

Cook said as of Tuesday morning, there were no plans for Favre to hold a news conference.

Favre, who returned for the 2007 season when many thought he should have left the game, had a career renaissance in his final season and led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game, where they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants in overtime.

Favre passed Marino for the all-time completions record in 2006, and in 2007 set NFL records for wins by a QB, touchdown passes, pass attempts, pass yards and interceptions in 2007. He claimed the NFL record for career quarterback wins with his 149th victory in Week 2, passed Marino for the TD record in Week 4 and overtook Marino's career passing yards record in Week 15.

Mortensen reported that Favre, who wanted the Packers to obtain Randy Moss when he was a free agent last season, had once again pushed for Moss to join the Packers. Favre had spoken to Moss late last week and was willing to commit to more than just this season if Moss and the Packers could come to an agreement. But the Packers did not pursue Moss, who re-signed with the Patriots on Monday.

In his voice mail message to Mortensen, Favre said the Packers' lack of pursuit of Moss was not the driving reason why he retired.

Surrounded by an underrated group of wide receivers who proved hard to tackle after the catch, Favre had a career-high completion percentage of 66.5 in 2007. He threw for 4,155 yards, 28 touchdowns and only 15 interceptions.

It was a remarkable turnaround from 2005, Favre's final season under former head coach Mike Sherman, when he threw a career-worst 29 interceptions as the Packers went 4-12.

Given Favre's career resurgence, it was widely assumed that he was leaning toward returning for the 2008 season.

He even said as much just before the Packers' Jan. 12 divisional playoff game against Seattle, telling his hometown newspaper that he wasn't approaching the game as if it would be his last and was more optimistic than in years past about returning.

"For the first time in three years, I haven't thought this could be my last game," Favre told the Biloxi [Miss.] Sun Herald. "I would like to continue longer."

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
anyone think this has anything to do with the Packers not picking up Moss?

bulls12

Reaction score
He's the best Quarterback in NFL History in my opinion, although I'm not that much of a fan of him.

Good luck in Retirementland, Brett.

bulls12

Reaction score
anyone think this has anything to do with the Packers not picking up Moss?
Probably not, he had some great young wide receivers like Driver, Jennings, and Jones. Plus, he had a decent running game in Ryan Grant to back him up if he wasn't playing all that great.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I also think he is the BEST EVER.
I think he was going to retire not matter who they got. Come one 17 years is a long time.
His next stop will be the HOF.

eLeMeNOhPe

Reaction score
WTF this is the stupidest thing ever

he left a message on Chris Mortenson's answering machine? lol please

i'll believe it when there is a REAL press conference, until then, people need to chill out about this

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
well, the packers are screwed
Are you kidding? Have you ever heard of a guy named Aaron Rodgers? Had tons of hype coming out of college and has been behind arguably the best QB to ever play learning from him. Hes ready.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
Are you kidding? Have you ever heard of a guy named Aaron Rodgers? Had tons of hype coming out of college and has been behind arguably the best QB to ever play learning from him. Hes ready.
too much pressure for him, to take over for an all-time legend, you can think that he'll be good and everything but I just have a feeling they'll struggle

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Nah, I think he'll be ready. He's been preparing for this for like 4 years. You cant have a better mentor than Bret Favre.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Probably not, he had some great young wide receivers like Driver, Jennings, and Jones. Plus, he had a decent running game in Ryan Grant to back him up if he wasn't playing all that great.

driver isnt young, and Moss is better then any of those players. I think Farve didnt want to wait for those guys to develop when he could have gotten one of the best WR's of all-time.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
driver isnt young, and Moss is better then any of those players. I think Farve didnt want to wait for those guys to develop when he could have gotten one of the best WR's of all-time.
Moss is def. not one of the best receivers of all time, he's good but not the best

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well he had a good run, and a good final season. He couldn't of ended on the crappy season he had last year, so this makes up for it.

platoon793

Reaction score
I was hoping he would come back for another season this year to give it another shot, after they got pretty close last year. Oh well, best wishes to him.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think he was one of the top QBs and I also wanted to see him come back, but I don't think they are screwed, sure Rodgers is nowhere near Favre in all aspects, but when Rodgers played this season I thought he did good, he threw the ball well and accurate, moved around in the pocket and bought himself time, I think Rodgers will do nicely for them.

Ryan

go royals!
Reaction score
Ugh, Rodgers sucks big time. He was a second-rate quarterback on a poor draft year at the position.

If they're lucky Brohm will still be on the board for their pick... If not, Flacco

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
How isnt he one of the best?

I wanna hear this one.......
When he goes hard he is, but the thing is that he takes too many plays off.

For Favre, even though I'm glad to see him not kill the Lions anymore, it's kinda sad to see him go. Definitively since the last pass he threw was a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%