Bolden's transfer denied

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Penn State quarterback Rob Bolden's father says coach Joe Paterno has denied his son's request to transfer.

Robert Bolden Sr. said he wasn't expecting Paterno to turn down the quarterback in a meeting Tuesday. It's unclear what Bolden will do next, with spring semester classes starting Monday.

"I'm pretty upset," Bolden told the Altoona Mirror Tuesday. "I didn't understand why he would want me to stay if I didn't want to be there. I was looking to get out and get a release, but he thinks otherwise."

Bolden was the first true freshman to open the season at quarterback in Paterno's 45-year head-coaching tenure with the Nittany Lions (7-6). He started eight games, but suffered a concussion vs. Minnesota. He then lost the job two weeks later to sophomore Matt McGloin after getting pulled vs. Northwestern.

Bolden Sr. said his son was only interested in playing at the FBS level.

"We were under the impression he would get a release and find himself in a better situation," Bolden Sr. said.

He also said Bolden was wary of talk by coaches that there would be an open competition for the job come spring practice.

"If I do come back, for that time me being there, I'll take advantage of what I have to do and not be a problem for the program," Bolden said to the Altoona Mirror. "But I'm not looking to do that at all."

Earlier Tuesday, Bolden's mother, Tonia Williams, said she hoped her son would change his mind on transferring, but stood by him.

McGloin, the first former walk-on to start at quarterback for Paterno, helped revive the offense in the second half of the season. But he threw five interceptions in the 37-24 loss to Florida at the Outback Bowl last week.

The future of a third Penn State quarterback, Kevin Newsome, is also unclear.

The former top recruit and second-stringer was skipped over on the depth chart by McGloin after Bolden got hurt. Newsome met with Paterno a couple times last month and did not travel for the bowl. He was expected to meet with coaches again this week.

A team spokesman said earlier Tuesday that Bolden and Newsome were still on the roster, and that there was no change in status for either player.

Penn State also has another touted quarterback recruit in freshman Paul Jones on the roster. Jones redshirted this season.
Huh thats weird. I didn't know they had to get the coach's go on a transfer. Thats weird that Paterno denied it. He must want him back.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Joe's old school and its not everyday a player walks into his office and asks for a transfer. I think Joe's got an opinion on players transferring and that's not gonna change. I cannot say I blame him one bit either. The school invested a lot of time, scouting, recruiting, a freaking scholarship....and for what? To let the kid walk away and go elsewhere?

What ever happened to...You want the starting job? Win it! Instead, all these guys want to be handed shit. Leave a 5-star school, where you have to earn it, in favor of a 4-star school, where you'd be handed the keys. Joe sees value in Robert Bolden, which is why the kid is at Penn State to begin with. Wouldn't make a lot of sense to just let the kid go...and what kind of life lesson is that for Bolden?

I see a situation here where Father and Son think they have a multi-million dollar arm they're planning on cashing in on someday...and they need that arm showcased on Saturdays ASAP.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
So, since he'd have to compete for the starting job, he wants to transfer? I know he's only a freshman, but he needs to mature and learn that not everything is handed to you. Apparently, that's how he thought it worked. It's not like he wouldn't get the job back, but it's not for certain he would. Bolden wasn't a slouch this year. He wasn't outstanding, but he got the job done, before his injury. Then it was time for a change, and McGloin had that ridiculous game. They both have potential, and Joe Pa sees that. It's nice to see a coach turn down someone trying to take the easier route.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Bolden fucking sucks, get him out of here asap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%