Bobby Valentine Possible New Red Sox Manager?

Reaction score
ESPN's Buster Olney reports that Bobby Valentine "has support in at least one important corner of the Boston front office" and "presumably" will get an interview for their vacant managerial position.
Valentine is currently an ESPN analyst but has been looking to get back into managing and been on a handful of interviews the last few years. Olney speculates that other candidates for the job could include Giants manager Bruce Bochy, Mariners manager Eric Wedge and Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin. He notes that Bochy and Red Sox GM Theo Epstein know each other from their days in San Diego together, though that could be a moot point if Epstein winds up with the Cubs' GM job. Other names that have popped up as possibilities include Blue Jays bench coach Don Wakamatsu, Dodgers bench coach Trey Hillman, Diamondbacks bench coach Alan Trammell and Orioles third base coach John Russell.

rotoworld
Hmm, not sure how I'd feel about Valentine being the Sox' next manager. He's a great manager, but I'm just not sure after Francona if he'd be someone that could get control of the players. Maybe, he sounds like one of the better options, but what do you guys think?

Thoughts?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Out of all those other options listed, I'd say Valentine is the best option.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pass on Valentine. I wish the Jays had sucked this season, I would love to have Farrell back lol

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The guy doesn't even sound smart on Baseball Tonight and during Sunday Night broadcasts. Would not want him as a manager.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Bobby Valentine is a moron, can't stand listening to the guy try and talk baseball.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, Bobby Valentine is not a candidate for the Red Sox managerial opening.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thank you.

Now get me Martinez or even, off the radar, Rick Burleson

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%