Blaine Gabbert = Ken O'Brien?

TTN2810

Reaction score
via Rotoworld
One AFC general manager insists that Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert doesn't possess much of a long-term upside.
"When I look at Gabbert, I think of Ken O’Brien," the GM said. "That’s the best you’ll probably get, and that’s not good enough if you’re at the top of the draft. Are you really going to build the future of your franchise around that guy? To me, it feels like settling." O'Brien, the 24th overall pick in 1983, made two Pro Bowls in ten seasons, finishing his career with a 50-59-1 record. He threw 128 touchdown passes and 98 picks.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Gabbert reminds me a lot of Ben Roethlisberger. His pocket awareness and footwork aren't anywhere near what Ben's is, but they both have almost identical frames, both have live arms, and both played out of the shotgun in college... So I'd say a more athletic version of Roethilsberger with lesser QB skills.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Agreed. Gabbert is more like Roethlisberger than Newton is IMO.

Mooche

Reaction score
Gabbert reminds me a lot of Ben Roethlisberger. His pocket awareness and footwork aren't anywhere near what Ben's is, but they both have almost identical frames, both have live arms, and both played out of the shotgun in college... So I'd say a more athletic version of Roethilsberger with lesser QB skills.
Decent comparison I think. Gab won't amount to half of what Big Ben is. He's a damn special QB.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Big Ben is certainly not a special QB

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
2 super bowl wins and 3 appearances at age 29 is pretty special. While his numbers may not be Brady/Manning-esque, they are still very good and in the past couple of seasons he has put up numbers that on the surface would be top 7 or so. Add in the fact that the guy just wins, and doesn't pass as much as some of the other "top QBs" considering the nature of the Pittsburgh Steelers, I'd say Ben certainly is special. And don't give me the whole defense crap, he is a winner.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
There is a difference between good and special. Special is Brady, Rodgers, Manning, those guys. Good is Ben, Eli, etc...

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
So 2 super bowls and 3 appearances before turning 30 isn't special?

TTN2810

Reaction score
I actually agree. Ben was not the reason they won/made it to all those super bowls.

The first SB he was 7/21, 123 yards, 0 TD's, 2 INTS. That was clearly not him.

The second super bowl, his stats were much better, and the throw at the end was great, I'll give him that, but that game was all Jame Harrison.
He doesn't make that play, the Steelers don't win.

And this last one they lost, we all remember how bad he played.

Yes, you need to be a good QB to get your team to a SB, well most times (Grossman), but he is not a great QB.

Mooche

Reaction score
2 super bowl wins and 3 appearances at age 29 is pretty special. While his numbers may not be Brady/Manning-esque, they are still very good and in the past couple of seasons he has put up numbers that on the surface would be top 7 or so. Add in the fact that the guy just wins, and doesn't pass as much as some of the other "top QBs" considering the nature of the Pittsburgh Steelers, I'd say Ben certainly is special. And don't give me the whole defense crap, he is a winner.
Thank you.. Somebody making some actual sense in this thread.

He just wins..

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Nobody is as special as Sanchez, come on now.. Common sense.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Thank you.. Somebody making some actual sense in this thread.

He just wins..
He said it himself. They don't pass that much because it's the nature of the Steelers. The nature is defense and run game. That is why they won the Super Bowls. NOT because of Ben Roethlisberger.

Mooche

Reaction score
He said it himself. They don't pass that much because it's the nature of the Steelers. The nature is defense and run game. That is why they won the Super Bowls. NOT because of Ben Roethlisberger.
Yeah, I forgot James Harrison threw that football to Troy Polamalu in the corner of the endzone.

TTN2810

Reaction score
LOL.
They wouldn't have even been in the spot if Harrison doesn't get the pick six.
That was a FOURTEEN point swing. I can't believe you fail to see that.

Mooche

Reaction score
LOL.
They wouldn't have even been in the spot if Harrison doesn't get the pick six.
That was a FOURTEEN point swing. I can't believe you fail to see that.
He drove them down the field, with 2 minutes to go, in the biggest stage of ALL for football. Honestly, I don't know how many guys at the quarterback position in the game would have done that.

You don't realize the importance of being clutch, and getting a fucking TOUCHDOWN in that situation.

For example, let's say Tom Brady. He's "clutch" in the NFL sense right now. What has he done every single time? Drive the ball, and bank on Adam V. and his godly kicking, and he bailed him out every single time. Ben actually went and threw a pretty ball into the corner, and Holmes did his thing.

He's clutch..

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
2 rings, one of which he was of absolutely no help in

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Yeah, and the Jets wouldn't have gotten to the AFC Championship game this year without Sanchez, doesn't mean he's a special QB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%