Big House Winter Classic Plan In Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
realgm
The NHL has all but finalized details to hold next year's Winter Classic between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, while continuing negotiations for a second outdoor rink in downtown Detroit where all ancillary events would be held, a source told ESPN.com Friday.

The league would like to have the matter settled by the All-Star break in late January, according to the source.

The Jan. 1 game between the Original Six rivals would be played at the University of Michigan's "Big House," which, at 110,000-plus seats, is the largest college football stadium in the country. Ann Arbor is about 43 miles west of Detroit.

But cognizant of the need to include the City of Detroit in the process, the league would like to build a second outdoor rink in downtown Detroit, probably at Comerica Park, the home of Major League Baseball's Detroit Tigers.

The negotiations between the league, the City of Ann Arbor and the Red Wings are not completed. There is a definite sensitivity to making sure Detroit isn't left out in the cold, as it were, given the long-time loyalty shown the beleaguered city by the Ilitch family, which owns both the Red Wings and Tigers.

The source also said next year's Winter Classic will include new events that also would be held in downtown Detroit.

This year's Winter Classic at Philadelphia's Citizens Bank Park featured an alumni game that drew 45,000 fans. An American Hockey League game also was sold out at the ballpark, although ticket sales for those two games were bundled with the sale of tickets to the main Winter Classic game.

The ice surface at Citizens Bank Park also was used for other hockey and public skating events over the New Year's holiday. A similar plan is being considered for Detroit, given the NHL's desire to market the event as a celebration of the sport.

The annual Great Lakes Invitational, a college tournament that features Michigan State, Michigan and other top college invitees, is among the events being considered for the downtown rink. That tournament is usually held at Joe Louis Arena, the Red Wings' permanent home, in late December.
I would prefer to have it held at the CoPa but regardless it's awesome to see the Wings get the Winter Classic.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Honestly, I disagree with this completely. No offense to Canada but the sport is already popular there and the Winter Classic is really only about getting the game some mainstream attention. Thus, it makes no sense to include the Canadian teams. There's so many teams that they can use. Los Angeles, San Jose, Minnesota, and St. Louis just to name a few.

Again, it's nothing against Canada but casual hockey fans couldn't care less about Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver. Only those who follow the sport do. They should be focusing on trying to get more people interested and they'd do that with teams from the US.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
I would love to See a Boston vs Montreal WC. But I also like this seeing a Canadian team finally being there. I agree with what World B said to a degree. Sure It does help with the mainstream attention for american Teams like Philly, New York, Washington, Pittsburgh etc. But Canada is where hockey was invented, so it does make sense for Canada to be part of the winter classic.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yes, but the point of the WC is to gather more attention in the U.S. so it doesn't really make sense for them to include Canadian teams.

I would personally love to see the Wings play either the Avs or Sharks.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
Wings vs Bruins or wings vs Hawks would be fucking dope

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wings/Bruins was my hope but not for a couple years. Was hoping to see a throwback sort of thing like Nordiques (Colorado) vs Northstars (Dallas). Or get St. Louis in there. Screw the actual classic, I'd just want to see Hull and Oates reunited for the alumni game.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd like to see a bruins- hurricanes (playing as the whalers) get a classic. It used to be a great rivary and it would be awesome to have it back even if for only one game.

But going back to canadian teams playing in the wc, its not really nessacary considering they already have an outdoor game themselves ( heritage classic).

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Unless they start making the "Heritage Classic" a game for old rivalries (including old teams like the Whale or the Nordiques). I'd be on board for that.

They could alternate years too. That way having an outdoor game doesn't get stale.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
Unless they start making the "Heritage Classic" a game for old rivalries (including old teams like the Whale or the Nordiques). I'd be on board for that.

They could alternate years too. That way having an outdoor game doesn't get stale.
Ya id be down with that too

spangar

Reaction score
Hopefully gonna get tickets to this. And the Wings played the Hawks at Wrigley a few years ago so that's most likely the reason the didn't have them two play each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%