Bengals sign two players

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score

Agent: Free-agent safety Wilson agrees to join Bengals
NFL.com

Free-agent safety Gibril Wilson has agreed to terms on a one-year deal with the Cincinnati Bengals, his agent, Alvin Keels said via Twitter.

The Bengals continue to fortify their secondary as they also agreed to terms on a two-year deal with free-agent CB Adam "Pacman" Jones, a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

The Bengals will be Wilson's third team in three years. He last played for the Miami Dolphins, with whom he signed a five-year, $27.5 million contract last offseason. He started 14 of 16 games in Miami and recorded 91 tackles, then was released.

Wilson signed with the Oakland Raiders in 2008 and posted 129 tackles, 1.5 sacks and two interceptions.

Wilson began his NFL career in 2004 with the New York Giants, with whom he started 51 of 52 games at free safety

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
When Pacman plays well I'm going to go nuts.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Gibril Wilson is washed up & we all know Pacman's story. The Bungals just keep getting better and better.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Gibril Wilson is washed up & we all know Pacman's story. The Bungals just keep getting better and better.
Neither will start, just added more depth. I don't see what's soo bad about either signing, they've made it real clear one slip up by Pacman and he's gone, it's not like they invested all kinds of money into him and Wilson will most likely not see the field unless injuries start to pile up, nothing wrong with adding depth. They are getting better, they made the playoffs, that's not the norm for Cincinnati so I appreciate that compliment.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i wanted pacman, glad we keep building <_<

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
i wanted pacman, glad we keep building <_<
People make such a big deal about him because of his previous problems. The Bengals had had numerous players with issues, just giving players a second chance. Some of them have worked out really well and some haven't. I believe the Lions could of used him more, he won't be a starter for the Bengals. But we didn't really invest much into him, as Zimmer said, one slip up and he's cut. I guess it depends what Pacman wants is what it will come down to. Zimmer won't let him ruin the chemistry they have going as he's stated. I just don't think adding depth is bad at all, both of these players have experience.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Pacman's overrated.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Pacman's overrated.
It doesn't matter, he'll never see the field. Just depth, all it is, depth. I'm sure people said the same thing about Cedric Benson when he was a Chicago Bear, now look at him.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
True, he isn't the number one overall pick he was, he isn't a Titan anymore.

He wasn't that great last year and won't be any better this season.

KR/PR?

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
True, he isn't the number one overall pick he was, he isn't a Titan anymore.

He wasn't that great last year and won't be any better this season.

KR/PR?
I have no idea what they're plans are. The CB postions are set with Leon Hall, Jonathon Joesph, Morgan Trent, David Jones, and Brandon Ghee so he definitely won't ever be at the CB position. I'm not sure what the plans are for punt returner, they have a lot of people for that position as well. I believe Bernard Scott will be the kick returner, he was really good at it last year when he got his chance. I honestly don't see any position where Pacman would even have a chance at playing.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Meh, maybe put him in as a Josh Cribbs type player on defense? I don't know either, he's not Deion Sanders, that's for sure.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
[font="arial][size="2"]
Zero tolerance: Zimmer says if 'Pacman' runs afoul, 'we'll cut him'
Steve Wyche | NFL.com Posted: about 7 hours agoWhy would the Bengals even consider adding the troubled Adam Jones to their team? It's simple: They've made situations like this work before, and if it doesn't this time, well, there's an easy out.[/size][/font]
[font="arial][size="2"] [/size][/font]
[font="arial][size="2"]
Agent and rep: Wilson, Jones in fold
GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 9 hours agoUpdated 10:20 p.m.

The Bengals have agreed to a one-year deal with safety Gibril Wilson, according to agent Alvin Keels. Ray Savage, a rep for cornerback Adam Jones, confirmed a verbal two-year agreement expected to be signed Monday.

"Adam wanted to show loyalty to the Brown family with the second year," Savage said.

The 6-0, 197-pound Wilson gives the Bengals depth at a position where they were crippled down the stretch with injuries when Roy Williams (arm) pretty much didn't play after September and Chris Crocker (ankle) still won't be on the field next week as he rehabs an ankle injury that hampered his postseason play. The signing gives the club veteran presence in the middle of the field.Chinedum Ndukwe, heading into his fourth season, started 12 games last year and finished third on the team in tackles.

Wilson, 28, has started 80 games, 15 of them last year in Miami, where he had a sack and 72 tackles. After starting 13 games for the Super Bowl champion Giants, he's coming off one-year stints with the Raiders and Dolphins.

Jones has played just nine games in the last three years and none in the past year because of his controversial past. Savage said Jones was drawn to the Bengals by the coaches and the success of other players seeking second chances.

"He's extremely excited about the opportunity," Savage said. "After his workout, he told Coach (Marvin) Lewis that he can't wait to get on the field next week."

As the business day wound down Thursday, all indications are if the Bengals do anything officially with Wilson and Jones, it won't be until Monday.

[/size][/font]

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I understand the point of bringing in depth, but you can probably get someone just as good without as much baggage as pacman..

Barcode

Reaction score
I understand the point of bringing in depth, but you can probably get someone just as good without as much baggage as pacman..
This. The signing makes no sense, especially after the draft. There are still enough undrafted FA's out there that you can develop w/o the zero tolerance threat. It will not end well.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I'm not worried about it, neither will play and if he screws up, he's gone. I didn't like it but I'm not going to worry about it. We didn't really need any upgrade anywhere so I'm just glad they're making moves, generally they never would. I think they finally want to win. The bottom line is people can sit here and slam it but nobody has any idea how it will turn out, these are the kind of players that have ended up turning out well for the Bengals. People said the same thing about Cedric Benson, Tank Johnson, Chris Crocker.. These are now all starters getting extended contracts that nobody wanted.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Signing Pacman Jones makes zero sense for the Bengals. Pacman Jones as strictly a depth player? Never see the field? I doubt it. If what Palmer is saying is true, then bringing in a character like Pacman is a horrible idea. Yes, the Bengals are obviously all about 2nd chances but Pacman is beyond his 3rd. You would think the Bengals are trying to turn a corner, finally rid of all the negative attention, and build a much better team reputation. All that said, why? Why Pacman Jones? Why deal with all the bad media attention, when you have other options available. There's better liability on the open market.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Signing Pacman Jones makes zero sense for the Bengals. Pacman Jones as strictly a depth player? Never see the field? I doubt it. If what Palmer is saying is true, then bringing in a character like Pacman is a horrible idea. Yes, the Bengals are obviously all about 2nd chances but Pacman is beyond his 3rd. You would think the Bengals are trying to turn a corner, finally rid of all the negative attention, and build a much better team reputation. All that said, why? Why Pacman Jones? Why deal with all the bad media attention, when you have other options available. There's better liability on the open market.
I don't think they really care what people think of them as long as their winning games. The Bengals are giving him a chance and he knows the consequences, if he wants a job he better straighten up and I truly believe Mike Zimmer will keep him in line, can't handle his actions off the field but I guess that's up to him whether he wants a job or not. Yes, Pacman is for depth, where can he play??????? The defense is set unless injuries start piling up as I said earlier. Maybe they will throw him in on the special teams somewhere, that's the only thing I can think of. The bottom line is, the Bengals have taken these chances A LOT, some have worked, some have not. I'm sure they got him for a reason and they have confidence in him to get his act together. Nobody talks about the signing of Matt Jones that didn't even play a game in the NFL last year due to a suspension due to cocaine. They just take chances on these cheap players hoping it will be a home run. They didn't even need to sign anybody, we didn't need anybody. But, I'm not complaining with extra depth. If they invested a lot into him not knowing his future then my view would be completely different. They need to get a better team reputation by winning, that's all I'm concerned about. I'm not worried about Pacman, if he doesn't work out, so be it. If he does something he's gone. Now, if we really needed an upgrade at a certain position I would be ticked with all the other options out there but that isn't the case. BUT by any means, I'm not saying it was a great pickup because there's lots of questions but it's worth the chance I guess if he can help the team out in some way. I'm not going to argue about it, time will tell. It won't be the first time the Bengals have made a bad move if it doesn't work out and I'm sure it won't be the last. I'm just not looking at it that way.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I can see what you mean by building a better team reputation though, I wish they would as well but I'm just going to support whatever they do. It doesn't help that by signing questionable guys like Jones clearly but we'll just see what happens.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Attention Mike Brown: Get a General Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%