Bengals Promote Hue Jackson to OC

Bengals1Fan

Reaction score
With the recent hiring of Gruden in Washington the Bengals organization wasted no time promoting Hue Jackson to OC.

With Hue Jackson ascending to offensive coordinator, the Bengals figure to keep the same language of Jay Gruden's playbook. But look for a different script as Jackson attempts to take the heat off embattled quarterback Andy Dalton.
"Hue likes to run the ball, but he'll also find a way to get it in the hands of his playmakers in that division if you can't run the ball," T.J. Houshmandzadeh, one of Jackson's players during his wildly successful run as the Bengals receivers coach in the previous decade, said on Thursday. "I'll bet half my earnings that the offense is going to be better."
Gruden, the only offensive coordinator the Green-Dalton era has ever known, became the head coach of Washington on Thursday morning and Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis didn't blink an eye in elevating one of his longtime confidants to the job. Heading into his 14th NFL season, Jackson, 48, who had served this past season as Lewis's special assistant and running backs coach, took his fourth title under Lewis and his fourth NFL coordinator's job. Ironically, they first worked in Washington together in 2002 when Jackson was the running backs coach and Lewis was the defensive coordinator.
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/As-Gruden-exits-offense-takes-on-a-new-Hue/d8da0228-878a-4cd1-95c6-5f128ae78039

Hue Jackson has been an offensive coordinator in the NFL 3 times. 
1st with Washington in 2003 (PF:287) 5-11
2nd with the Falcons in 2007 (PF: 259) 4-12
3rd with the Raiders in 2010 (PF: 410) 8-8

I'm sorry, but in my opinion this was a stupid decision. You have the 5th best team in passing YPG, A solid young running back and a quarterback who needs lots of work and you promote an OC who is 17-31 as an OC? From my understanding, they didn't even interview anyone else. The Bengals not only need a GM, but they need Marvin Lewis gone. It looks like Zimmer very well could be headed out the door as well and if he leaves, I think we need to go hire a new DC and New Head Coach. Marvin Lewis isn't a winner and neither is Mike Brown. There has got tot be a better coach who wants to interview with a 11-5 division winning team right?

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I don't see how it was a stupid decision.. Who out there would have been a better option? Also, Marvin wanted Hue because he's familiar with the guys and the playbook. They are sticking with the structure and language of Jay Gruden's playbook. If Mike Zimmer leaves, it will be the same thing for the next defensive coordinator as well, same structure as what Mike Zimmer had in place, but it won't necessarily be someone promoted within. What Hue Jackson did with the Raiders offense while he was there was nice, he did a good job. He likes to run the ball, which will help Andy Dalton. He's not a guy who will be passing 50 times a game. 

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He was in some pretty shitty situations during those three OC stops.

In Washington, he had a team led by Patrick Ramsey and madden superstar Trung Canidate.  

In Atlanta, he inherited a Vick-less Falcons team after he got arrested.

And Oakland is Oakland, although, they were fairly respectable that year, and he got a head coaching gig out of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%