Bengals.com Mock Draft

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Interesting mock draft from Bengals.com

1. Cam Newton QB Auburn
The ghost of Kerry Collins (the last vestige of the Ki-Jana Carter trade) has apparently vanished and the Panthers feel it's time to go with a franchise quarterback after 15 years of stitching it with the likes of Jake Delhomme and Jimmy Clausen.

2. Von Miller LB Texas A&M
The Broncos wouldn't mind trading back if they could get Nick Fairley, but Miller will do as the consensus highest-rated defensive player in the draft. They can put him at SAM and rush him off the edge on third down.

3. Marcell Dareus DT Alabama
It looks like the Bills would take Newton, but not Blaine Gabbert and Dareus can play all three spots up front and is a perfect end for a 3-4 defense ranked last against the run last season.

4. Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri
If they can't trade it. The main reason: If the Bengals don't get the quarterback here in this QB-starved draft, where do they get him? How far do they trade down and make sure they get the guy they want? How many picks do they want to give up? A.J. Green may be the best player on the board, but Gabbert plays the most important position. He's young and comes out of a spread, but he can move while also being smart and accurate.

5. Patrick Peterson CB LSU
The Cards will have to talk about teaming Green with wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, but Peterson fits the biggest need. A nice housewarming present for former Bengals safeties coach Louie Cioffi, now the Cards secondary coach. The Cards seem to think they're going to get a veteran quarterback and don't look to be combing the draft urgently for one.

6. A.J. Green WR Georgia
By the way, Grossi was writing in December that Cam Newton looked like the next Bengals quarterback. Now Browns fans are hoping Green is the next Isaac Curtis, the Bengals 15th pick in 1973 when Cleveland was left with some wideout named Steve Holden at 16. Green is the best overall player on many boards and he immediately gives the new Mike Holmgren-Pat Shurmur-Colt McCoy West Coast offense a game breaker.

7. Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
Too early to take a quarterback and the option to trade back doesn't seem to be as urgent as possibly trading back up into the first round after this pick to get a Ponder or a Dalton. But new head coach Jim Harbaugh seems content to work with some vets if the Niners don't get one in either spot. But it is going to be a competition and that probably won't lure back Alex Smith.

8. Nick Fairley DT Auburn
Another club that desperately seeks a QB. They don't have one, they need one, and they'll explore trading back. But apparently this is too high for Locker and they are convinced Fairley is not Albert Haynesworth Jr.

9. Anthony Castonzo RT Boston College
The Cowboys would like to trade down, but if they can't then Castonzo is a savvy, versatile guy that fills a need at right tackle. It would be the first time Dallas used a pick on an offensive lineman in Jerry Jones' 22 years of running the club.

10. Robert Quinn DE North Carolina
With 32-year-old Santonio Moss a free agent, the Redskins will have to consider Alabama wide receiver Julio Jones and could take him here. But after Brian Orakpo made the switch from defensive end to rush linebacker and had 8.5 sacks, they think Quinn can do the same thing. Orakpo is the only guy that had more than 2.5 sacks for Washington last season. This also is apparently too high for Jake Locker and the Redskins don't have a third- and fourth-rounder to get back up to take a quarterback. They've got a lot of holes and only two picks before the fifth round.

11. Aldon Smith OLB Missouri
McClain has this club wired and he sees Smith as a rush outside linebacker that will be the first big piece in Wade Phillips' new 3-4 defense looking to revive one of the league's worst.

12. Tyron Smith RT USC
The Vikings would like to trade down and if they do, they may be looking at Locker and they'd like to recoup the third-rounder lost in the Randy Moss deal. If they can't pull it off, old friend Leslie Frazier is looking to retool an aging offensive line.

13. J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin
The Lions would love Aldon Smith and now they'll choose from the D-end glut of Watt, Ryan Kerrigan and Cameron Jordan. A Central Michigan transfer, Watt's production has the Lions intrigued.

14. Julio Jones WR Alabama
Dream scenario for the Rams who have been doomed at receiver since the departures of Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce with either poor production or injury. They've got nobody that can explode off the line for Sam Bradford and while Jones might not be as natural of a catch as Green, he can block and get downfield. This is kind of low for Jones, so put the Rams in the huge green room of teams seeking defensive linemen.

15. Mark Ingram RB Alabama
Not only would the Dolphins love to trade for Carson Palmer, they'd love to trade out of this pick. They're not enamored enough with Ingram or center Mike Pouncey to stay there, but the greater need seems to be running back with the aging of Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown. Plus, Bill Parcells drafted Ingram's dad with the Giants and knows the son well. It looks like Miami is going to try and find a veteran quarterback instead of hitching a volatile wagon to a kid.

16. Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue
General manager Gene Smith's type of high motor guy. The Jags need a lot of help on pass defense, where they gave up an average of 7.53 yards per snap the opposing QB dropped back. They're looking for cornerbacks, safeties and linebackers, too.

17. Cameron Jordan DE California
Bill Belichik has three of the next 16 picks and he may actually not trade one of them. He's only got five picks next year and may be looking for some. This is where the QB run could start with a trade back (Minnesota?). If he holds it, New England's biggest needs are 3-4 ends or pass rushers with the uncertainty of Ty Warren.

18. Cameron Hayward DE Ohio State
The Chargers need a pass rusher (they had no sacks when the Bengals knocked them out of the playoffs last December) and whoever they draft is going to start at right end in their 3-4. Right outside linebacker Larry English hasn't given San Diego the pop in the rush it thought it was getting after taking him in the first round in 2009. (Try five career sacks.)

19. Corey Liuget DT Illinois
Big Blue going for a D-tackle always a safe bet. Particularly with Barry Cofield eying free agency.

20. Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
Yasinskas, long-time Bucs beat guy now blogging the NFC South, remembers the last time a defensive lineman so talented that he was once the No. 1 player in the draft fell to Tampa Bay. It was 1995 when Hall of Famer Warren Sapp somersaulted to No. 12 amid reports of positive drug tests. Bowers has had a similar freefall because of his medical grade. But with a pass rush led by Tim Crowder and Stylez G. White, Bowers here would be worth the risk.

21. Gabe Carimi RT Wisconsin
The Chiefs need help at guard and Carimi is a versatile guy that could also play outside for them on the right.

22. Nate Solder RT Colorado
Talk of snapping up a quarterback here seems overdone. Peyton Manning is going nowhere and by the time this guy would be ready to replace Manning, he'd be a free agent himself. Bill Polian has never drafted a lineman in the first round in his Indy term and the chickens have come home to roost on the Tony Ugoh pick in Indy's failure to replace Tarik Glenn.

23. Derek Sherrod RT Mississippi State
The Eagles could use a guard, but right tackle Winston Justice got benched during the playoffs and they haven't chosen a lineman above the fifth round since 2008.

24. Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple
The Saints like versatile big guys that can move across the line and Wilkerson fits the bill as a guy that can also be a defensive end in 3-4 looks. They'd probably prefer a D-end, but look at how fast they went. New Orleans is looking for help anywhere on the front seven and there are no OLBs in sight.

25. Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
The Seahawks would love to trade down and get more picks at this point and, yes, maybe then they would take a quarterback. But there doesn't seem to be a big-time need for that emanating from here and they could take hometown Jake Locker if they want him. They'll take one, but won't force it because they could bring back Matt Hasselbeck. The Seahawks seem to be focused on both lines. They were 27th in defense last year and had 11 different offensive line combos.

26. Jimmy Smith CB Colorado
The Eagles could take Smith, too, but if they don't the Ravens seem to be all over him. Smith has overcome some character concerns to climb up draft boards. At 6-2, he would give the Wizard of Oz (Newsome) the big corner he hasn't had since the days of Chris McAlister. A clear need. The Ravens still haven't covered Andre Caldwell in the '10 finale.

27. Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA
The Falcons are looking to replace OLB Mike Peterson and they think he could be a hybrid edge rusher to help on the other side of John Abraham. They were 25th in sacks per pass in a division they have to chase Drew Brees, Josh Freeman and maybe Cam Newton.

28. Mike Pouncey C Florida
Pouncey is such a big enough fall that Belichick might even keep the pick. And Reiss wonders if he might not take Pouncey at No. 17. Pouncey would soothe the Logan Mankins question by being able to play either guard before eventually moving to center. Reiss also theorizes Belichick trades two of the three picks as he gets into the QB mix late in the round.

29. Danny Watkins G Baylor
The Bears could use an edge rusher and a wide receiver, given that Johnny Knox's 51 catches led the team. But their quarterback got hammered and the Bears need help up front. Yet here's another team that is looking to find a match in a trade down that is Bears GM Jerry Angelo's M.O. around this spot.

30. Phil Taylor NT Baylor
And Rex Ryan could get into the act by trading down, although recently his trend is to trade up. The Jets need to replace nose tackle Kris Jenkins, but he didn't even play last year and they still finished third in run defense.

31. Aaron Williams CB Texas
It sounds like the Steelers don't want to pick here, either. Bouchette says they could trade down, another report has them mulling to trade up for Pouncey to reunite the twins. No question the Steelers need help at corner, but Williams' speed has been questioned.

32. Justin Houston OLB Georgia
World champs close the first round looking for a bookend for Clay Matthews. Even though he's played with his hand on the ground the Packers think Houston can make the transition to the 3-4.

33. Brooks Reed DE Arizona
You probably want to pencil in a quarterback here, but if the Pats keep the pick they go with an edge rusher, end/linebacker type. Pass rush is their biggest need after finishing 19th in sacks per pass. They still haven't replaced Richard Seymour and Ty Warren is banged up and suddenly 30.

34. Christian Ponder QB Florida State
Will this break the Bengals' hearts? He's got the brains, mobility, accuracy and pro set experience that new offensive coordinator Jay Gruden has talked about for his West Coast offense. But Ponder's relationship with Bills head coach Chan Gailey has been well documented (he tried to recruit him to Georgia Tech) and there's a fit. But it's not a popular move in some segments of Buffalo, where Ponder is not seen as a cut above incumbent starter Ryan Fitzpatrick. Like Ponder, Fitzpatrick is smart, a good athlete, accurate and has great intangibles. But Ponder has also has the same question. Can he take a team beyond 8-8?

That's it for now... Whatcha think?

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Should have just left off the Jaguars pick

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Anybody who knows anything about the Jags knows its hard to see Kerrigan going to the Jags.

Simple: Gene Smith said Kerrigan isn't a "one time" player, theres a ton of players like him in this draft, even outside of the 1st round.
Every time you hear Gene Smith talk about Kerrigan or the other Front Office staff they say "Its a deep draft for DE". Which basically means theres alot of talent even going on through later rounds in the draft. We're not gonna waste a 1st on Kerrigan, when we have Kampman returning, Mincey who did well at the end of last year, and promising rookies from last year Austen Lane, Larry Hart, and Aaron Morgan. We need LB and CB/FS more than that. I seriously think IF the QB is there that the Jags like (Locker, Kaepernick, Ponder) Then we could trade down and scoop them up around the 20 mark, or just take him.

Look at history. Its not good chances you find your QB of the future in any round outside of #1. Sure, theres some exceptions like "Tom Brady, Matt Schaub, Brett Favre" but thats a once in a lifetime thing. You want a Franchise QB? Round 1 is where you find them.

jrscfnk

Reaction score
Anything remotely associated with the Bengals is stupid. Therefore, this is stupid.

And Kam, ya gotta keep in mind that 98% of the dudes doing mocks aren't really familiar with the situations of each team, and Kerrigan is rated at around that area, so it's easy and convenient for lazy mockers to slot him there.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Anything remotely associated with the Bengals is stupid. Therefore, this is stupid.

And Kam, ya gotta keep in mind that 98% of the dudes doing mocks aren't really familiar with the situations of each team, and Kerrigan is rated at around that area, so it's easy and convenient for lazy mockers to slot him there.
I don't look at it that way. Geoff Hobson isn't stupid, he's been right in a lot of cases when it has came to the Bengals. Whether he knows any more more then the average individual, I have no idea. Especially outside of the Bengals. We will find that out tomorrow night. Actually to me, a lot of his picks make sense.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well I hope the Bengals shy away from AJ Green personally lol

jrscfnk

Reaction score
I don't look at it that way. Geoff Hobson isn't stupid, he's been right in a lot of cases when it has came to the Bengals. Whether he knows any more more then the average individual, I have no idea. Especially outside of the Bengals. We will find that out tomorrow night. Actually to me, a lot of his picks make sense.
Haha I'm messing with you man, I'm a Bengals fan too. That being said, although I think Hobson's a decent writer, his draft-day predictions historically have been pretty off base and generally just kinda random, and not necessarily indicative of any kind of inside information.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Well I hope the Bengals shy away from AJ Green personally lol
As I've said a million times now, I'm beyond lost/confused. You hear Chad Ochocinco won't be back and we already know Terrell Owens is gone so you'd think Green would be the guy. Then, you have Carson Palmer retiring, so you desperately need a QB - That is the most important position which makes a pick like Gabbert make sense as well because the Bengals have no idea what will happen after the #4 pick, all of the QB's they were looking at might be gone by then. I have no idea, tomorrow can't get here soon enough.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score

I understand that, they did the same thing last year

"JAGS ARE TAKING DERRICK MORGAN, ITS A DONE DEAL"

Kam denied it, because I knew it wasn't going to happen. Then it didnt. Kam also predicted the big Michael Crabtree slip in 2009. I know a few things about the draft and is 85% right when it comes to shit.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Haha I'm messing with you man, I'm a Bengals fan too. That being said, although I think Hobson's a decent writer, his draft-day predictions historically have been pretty off base and generally just kinda random, and not necessarily indicative of any kind of inside information.
It's all good, Hobson hasn't always been right and to be honest, I've never paid any attention to his mocks before, so I have no idea. What do YOU think the Bengals will do?

jrscfnk

Reaction score
As far as what will happen, the most likely scenario still seems like A.J. Green to me. Anything else will be a surprise.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
As far as what will happen, the most likely scenario still seems like A.J. Green to me. Anything else will be a surprise.
So, do you think they will luck into a QB early in the second round? Someone they've been looking at say Dalton or Ponder? They need somebody. Better not be Mallett.

jrscfnk

Reaction score
So, do you think they will luck into a QB early in the second round? Someone they've been looking at say Dalton or Ponder? They need somebody. Better not be Mallett.
My feeling is pretty similar to yours. I want Ponder or Dalton, but there are big rumors that Dalton could be taken early in round one, and Ponder's been mocked much earlier than their slot in the second too. Ultimately, yup, I'm hoping it's not Mallett. I'd be happy with Kaepernick in the second, and I think he could be there, but how all those quarterbacks could fall is wildly unpredictable at this point. I'd be okay with Kaep, Ponder, Dalton or Locker, and honestly, I'd be pleased with McElroy or Taylor later on too.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Poor Bengal fans, they have no idea what the NFL is going to do to them tomorrow.

Teams are going to trade into the first, to take the 2nd tier of QBs. The bengals wont have any real good enough QB to select in the 2nd.

jrscfnk

Reaction score
Poor Bengal fans, they have no idea what the NFL is going to do to them tomorrow.

Teams are going to trade into the first, to take the 2nd tier of QBs. The bengals wont have any real good enough QB to select in the 2nd.
That's why I'm hoping for Tyrod in the fourth. Also wouldn't mind trading back, but hey, very unlikely.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Which could be why they decide to select Gabbert with the #4 pick ultimately.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Which could be why they decide to select Gabbert with the #4 pick ultimately.
It'll be AJ Green at 4.

Mike Brown doesn't believe Carson.. & It'll come back to bite him in the ass.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If Julio drops to 14, i'll be shocked, and the Rams will be lucky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%