Baltimore Could Get Team Down The Road?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
State and city leaders unveiled plans Thursday to tear down the aging 1st Mariner Arena and replace it with a new venue big enough to attract a professional basketball or hockey team to Baltimore — an idea that drew a skeptical response from the sports world. Calling the 46-year-old 1st Mariner Arena "functionally obsolete," officials said a new 18,500-seat facility would draw the biggest concerts and acts to Baltimore and could play host to major events such as the NCAA basketball tournament. A new arena would probably cost $300million or more, paid for largely with public money, and could open as soon as 2012.

Gov. Martin O'Malley and Mayor Sheila Dixon chose to put the new venue on the site of the current arena because of its proximity to the Inner Harbor, the Baltimore Convention Center and transit lines, and said they believe it would anchor the revitalization of downtown's west side. They rejected alternative sites in Canton, on the South Baltimore waterfront and in struggling neighborhoods that need an economic boost.

The National Hockey League and the National Basketball Association have no plans to expand or relocate any of their franchises, but city and state officials said they would build an arena even without a commitment from a professional sports team. Previous state policy called for attracting a franchise before building a sports venue, but city officials said this project would thrive even without a team.
Maybe Seattle won't have to wait that long to get their Sonics back, cause they would probably add 2 teams at once.

I doubt this happens though...

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That would be stupid though, and I don't see how it could work.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Baltimore Tulips/Raindrops/Fairies....just following the OKC trend.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
No it'd be something to do with Baltimore or something that starts with B...

VC3

Charmander CHAR CHAR!
Reaction score
Baltimore Beavers

why the fck does Vegas not have a team yet? sonics should have moved to LAS VEGAS.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Theres a bigger chance Seattle gets a team first then maybe Baltimore then we would see a forgin team, but non of this will happen for atleast 5 years with the forgin team most likely to happen in 10-15 years. And by forgin I don't mean another Canadian team.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Vegas doesnt have a team b/c of all the gambling that goes on there. The NBA see's it as too much of a risk.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The National Hockey League and the National Basketball Association have no plans to expand or relocate any of their franchises
Baltimore is just building an arena
every big city should have one

bosox1918

Reaction score
If they do build this stadium for a new franchise, The I hope they come up with less child-like ideas for names unlike OKC.

kdogg

The original #SpartanDawg
Reaction score
I think they're name would have something to do with a bird (Baltimore Ravens & Orioles).

Tecmo

Reaction score
they say that the hornets may move to montreal in 2010

Grandy28

Victory!!!!
Reaction score
they say that the hornets may move to montreal in 2010
I really doubt they are going to move the hornets from New Orleans, especially to Montreal.

Why would they put a team in Europe? Players are leaving to Europe for the money, if they put a team there wouldn't it still be the same as it is now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%