Astros Sold: Owners Approve Crane as New Owner - Will Move to AL in '13

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Prospective Astros owner Jim Crane has agreed to move the team to the American League in 2013, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter). Crane still needs the approval of baseball's other owners. He would get a discount of approximately $50MM to switch leagues, according to Heyman. Bob Nightengale of USA Today says compensation will be in the $80MM range (Twitter link).

The move would even out the two leagues at 15 teams each and create six divisions of five teams, assuming Houston joins the four-team American League West. The shift is tied to the upcoming collective bargaining agreement, which may include identical schedules for teams within the same division and boost inter-league play considerably. As MLBTR's Tim Dierkes explained in his GM Meetings preview, owners are expected to approve the sale of the Astros from Drayton McLane to Crane this week.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I dont understand why people dont like interleague play. I like it, get to see teams you dont normally get to see. It gets boring facing the Cubs or Cardinals like 6 games a year. Its nice to spice it up and face other teams.

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Inter-league play will have to be boosted since there are going to be an odd number of teams in each league.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
this will end up being better

every division will have the same exact schedule
no more crying "unbalanced" schedule

imo, the rockies or dbacks should have moved instead

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I dont understand why people dont like interleague play. I like it, get to see teams you dont normally get to see. It gets boring facing the Cubs or Cardinals like 6 games a year. Its nice to spice it up and face other teams.
the only ones who complain are the ones who get their asses kicked in interleague play.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Update:

MLB Owners Approve Sale of Astros to Jim Crane. Will Officially Move to AL in 2013.

Baseball will be making major changes in the next two years -- adding two teams to the playoffs, moving the Houston Astros to the American League and extending interleague play to September.

The expanded playoffs could come as early as next year. That will put 10 teams in the postseason, requiring a new wild-card playoff round that probably will be one game, winner take all.

The altered playoff structure is subject to an agreement on a new labor contract with the players association, which is expected before the current deal expires Dec. 11.

"We believe after a lot of study and a lot of thought that the addition of two wild cards will really help us in the long run," said commissioner Bud Selig, who called it a "historical" morning.

Baseball began its playoff system in 1969 and doubled the playoff teams to eight in 1994, a change delayed one year by a strike. This change will put one-third of the baseball's 30 teams in the postseason. In the NFL, 12 of 32 teams make the playoffs. In the NBA and NHL, 16 of 30 teams advance.
-- CBS Sports

Normally I would have been against the 1-game Wild Card Playoff, but after we had multiple playoff spots come down to the final game of the season this year, it actually is a very intriguing idea. It would lessen the likelihood of a "tiebreak" between two teams and lead to that intense 1-game playoff round. Go On or Go Home.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Inter league play year round is a really dumb idea unless they either put a DH in both leagues, or make pitchers bat in both leagues. I think it's a no brainer for both the AL and NL to have DH's, but whatever..

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I really like the new playoff system, its going to make games a lot more exciting with a 1 game playoff. Great pitching matchups as well.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
shoulda been the Brewers moving BACK to the AL, not the Astros. but, meh. now, let's see if the new owner will spend any money -- that's the biggest question here

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Hopefully he takes the money he saved on moving to the AL and puts it towards payroll.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%