Aroldis Chapman

Oiler35

Reaction score
The Reds wasted no time using their newest bullpen weapon, handing Aroldis Chapman his major league debut on the day he was called up from Triple-A Louisville.

Chapman, for his part, wasted no time wowing his teammates and the fans at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati.

The 22-year-old Cuban defector came on in relief against the Brewers Tuesday night and tossed a perfect eighth inning, striking out one and retiring the side on eight pitches in Cincinnati's 8-4 win over Milwaukee.

But it wasn't the results so much as it was the way he went about it that left everyone buzzing.

Chapman, who hit 105 mph over the weekend in the minors, lit up the radar gun again in his big-league debut, topping out at 103 mph on the Reds' television broadcast.

According to the Pitch F/X readings on MLB.com, six of the eight pitches Chapman threw were fastballs. Of those six heaters, two registered at 103 mph as well as one each at 101, 100, 99 and 98.

If he continues to bring that kind of velocity -- the "best fastball I have ever witnessed in 25 years of pro ball," one scout told FanHouse's Ed Price -- he could be a serious game-changer for the Reds, who will go into Wednesday seven games ahead of the Cardinals in the NL Central.

Chapman defected from Cuba while in the Netherlands last July. He signed a six-year, $30.25 million deal with the Reds in January.
God damn, the kid can throw.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
You've got to wonder why they gave up on him as a starter. If he could develop some secondary pitches this kid is probably the best pitcher in the bigs.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's probably gonna start at some point but yeah, he's got some gas on his pitches and right now, he's a perfect reliever. But he'll get some work as a starter as long as he keeps that MPH high

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Damn imagine if AA signed him. Our pitching would have been awesome. He's perfect as a reliever though I doubt he'd last long as a starter.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
i think he will be better than Strasburg.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Nah hes not better than Strasburg and I don't think he will be.

But thats a long time to look and as long as he stays healthy he'll be able to progress and catch up to Strasburg's high level of control that he has on his pitches.

Chapman's biggest strength is obviously that fastball velocity hitting the triple-digits. Now the reason he's not starting is because scouts have seen him throwing low to mid 90s early on, hit 96-99 and touching 100s around the 3rd or 4th innings, but then around the 5th inning he's barely breaking the 90s. Also as a kid from Cuba, coming up to the Majors in Ohio at the beginning of September and heading into October if this team can hold on and get to the playoffs, it's going to be cold. Chapman isn't used to the cold -- he's from Cuba. Thats going to play an effect on his ability to sustain his control and keep that fastball velocity up.

Next year is going to be a test for the Reds and they have to make a decision. Should they be patient with Chapman and work on him to balance out that fastball velocity over the course of a 6 or 7 inning game every 5 days, 30+ times a year, while also still trying to improve on the control of his secondary pitches, or do they like the idea of a lefty throwing into the triple-digits and envision him as the closer of the future?

He can be an incredible reliever with that fastball, or he can spend another year, at the very least, developing that fastball into becoming more consistent with the velocity. Otherwise that fastball velocity drops by the 5th inning and guys are catching up to it, making him pay for it.

Thats why I just don't think he will get A LOT of starts in September. He might get a few spot starts here and there, but overall I think they're going to take the cautious route and utilize him out of the bullpen.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Like what gmf said, the reason he doesn't start is because he can't really. He throws too hard/fast and would get worn out in like 4 innings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%