Aroldis Chapman Traded to the Chicago Cubs

videofreak8

Melted
Reaction score
"The Yankeest and Cubs are working towards a trade that would send star closer Aroldis Chapman to Chicago in exchange for top shortstop prospect Gleyber Torres and more, FanRag Sports Jon Heyman reports via Twitter. Sports Illustrateds Kenny Ducey reported (Twitter link) earlier tonight that Torres was scratched from the lineup for Chicagos High-A affiliate, and SB Nations Chris Cotillo adds that Torres was indeed removed due to ongoing trade talks.

The Chapman sweepstakes were seemingly coming to a peak earlier today when the Yankees reportedly asked the Cubs, Nationals, Indians and a mystery fourth team to submit their best final bids for Chapmans services, with the Rangers and Dodgers also seemingly on the periphery of the market. Cleveland appeared to be in the lead since the Bombers apparently werent impressed by a Nats trade package headlined by pitching prospect Erick Fedde (as Joe Ross was seemingly the main piece the Yankees were seeking from Washington).

Adding Torres to their offer, however, could well be what has apparently put the Cubs into the drivers seat. The 19-year-old shortstop was hailed as one of the top minor leaguers in baseball as per preseason top-100 rankings (ESPNs Keith Law had Torres 15th, MLB.com had him 28th, and both Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America had him 41st). Baseball America had Torres ranked as the top prospect in the Cubs system, no small feat given Chicagos impressive amount of minor league depth.

Signed for a $1.7MM bonus as part of the Cubs international signing splurge in 2013, Torres has a .275/.359/.433 slash line and nine homers in 409 plate appearances at the high-A level this season. MLB.coms scouting report gives him plus grades in everything but power-hitting, and some scouts believe even that will eventually manifest itself in the form of 15-homer power. While he could stick at shortstop, Torres could also move to third base or second, which may be his Yankee path as a long-term replacement for Chase Headley or Starlin Castro since Didi Gregorius has blossomed as New Yorks regular shortstop.

With Chapman set for free agency this winter, Torres alone wouldve been quite a return for the Yankees. Torres and even more young talent is quite a heavy price for Chicago to pay, though the Cubs are one of the few teams with enough position player depth at both the major and minor league levels to afford surrendering a top prospect like Torres for a rental player.

Of course, given how the bullpen is arguably the only semi-weak spot on the Cubs roster, adding a dominant force like Chapman may be the last piece Chicago needs to finally win another World Series. Chapman has a 2.01 ERA, 12.6 K/9 and 5.5 K/BB rate over 31 1/3 innings this season, not seeing the field until May due to a 30-game suspension under the league domestic violence policy.

Hector Rondon has hardly done anything to earn a demotion given his own spectacular numbers, though the Cubs closer would move to a setup role if and when Chapman joins the fold, with Pedro Strop, Travis Wood and the newly-acquired Mike Montgomery serving to protect leads into the eighth inning."

www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/yankees-cubs-working-on-trade-involving-aroldis-chapman-gleyber-torres.html?fv-home=true&post-id=67848

-mlbtr

Looking pretty likely he lands with the Cubs, Torres+ seems about right to me, especially considering how good Chicago's farm is. I wonder what the Indians had on the table that had them in front for a bit.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Rosenthal has tweeted its pretty much done. Steinbrenner has also apparently approved.

Huge price for a rental.

Senators26

Reaction score
LeafKiller said:
Rosenthal has tweeted its pretty much done. Steinbrenner has also apparently approved.

Huge price for a rental.
They have the money to sign him. 

Great move for the Cubs

D

Dannyboy77

Barring Chapman being a total wackjob I see my Cubbies resigning him. We going all in now!

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Hell of a cost for a rental, what a ROI for the Yankees though. Still think it's a great pickup for the Cubs as it takes their pen from a source of weakness to a source of strength. With the Arrieta FA looming after 2017, the Cubs have a clear window for 2016/2017 so the time is now to go for it.
The Cubs will get an estimated $1 billion more from their TV deal if they win a World Series before 2019 when the current one expires. So A LOT of incentive for the FO and ownership to go all in right now

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I mean it's more than just that

The Cubs are contenders now. Who knows where they'll be in 3 years, or even next year (look at the 2013 and 2014 Red Sox as an example)

Cubs haven't won in 108 years. Even if they only win once before going back to mediocrity it would be huge for baseball and the city of Chicago. There isn't a single person that wouldn't like the Cubs winning the WS, and would be the #2 team everyone wants to win outside of their own squad

Theo's gotta do everything he can to get that banner

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
100% agree

Even though the sox sucked in 2012, 2014, and 2015, I still would take that again if it mean a world series in ther.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:

The Cubs are contenders now. Who knows where they'll be in 3 years, or even next year (look at the 2013 and 2014 Red Sox as an example)

Cubs haven't won in 108 years. Even if they only win once before going back to mediocrity it would be huge for baseball and the city of Chicago. There isn't a single person that wouldn't like the Cubs winning the WS, and would be the #2 team everyone wants to win outside of their own squad

Except White Sox fans because the only fan base in all of sports they can brag to about their 1 WS win in 99 years is the team they share the city with.
And Cardinals fans because the city of STL has an inferiority complex in regards to anything Chicago; food, sports, tourism, etc

But yes, all true points you made. Although, this team wasn't built for just 1 go around, or even 2. The lineup is set to compete for the next 5 years, but that doesn't mean it will

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:

I'll take exception to that lol.

videofreak8

Melted
Reaction score
Glad Cleveland didn't put a better offer than this on the table, it makes more sense for the Cubs because they have the luxury of having a chance to re-sign, but it's still a big package for a possible rental.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
I would be surprised if the Cubs didn't resign him, unless he goes off the rails.  I can see the Yankees going after him again in the offseason, but they still won't be ready to compete next year. They have a lot of their awful FA signings coming off the books over the next year and a half so I don't think it'd be really smart for them to be big players again until 2017. RP for days this upcoming FA class

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Just an absurd amount to give away for a half year rental reliever. People can talk about "going for it" and mention the Royals success last year, but you need to look at what "going for it" did for the Blue Jays and Tigers too. There is more than one outcome that can occur. 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Just an absurd amount to give away for a half year rental reliever. People can talk about "going for it" and mention the Royals success last year, but you need to look at what "going for it" did for the Blue Jays and Tigers too. There is more than one outcome that can occur. 
Don't forget the athletics in 2014

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Maybe Cubs wouldn't do this if they're not confident Chapman reups with them. This is a hefty package to give up regardless. I like it for New York.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
elcheato said:
this is the side i see of it.

Cloud 9

Reverse the curse
Reaction score
lol'd @ the people thinking it's just a rental

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Until he re-signs with the Cubs, it is a rental. And even if they do re-sign him, it's still way too much for a reliever. Not to mention he's a domestic abuser 

Cloud 9

Reverse the curse
Reaction score
You're both pretty clueless but at least it's amusing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%