Are the Blazers locked into mediocrity?

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The 2009 Blazers had everyting figured out.

They led the league in offensive efficiency, pouring in 113.9 points per 100 possessions, piloted by all-world shooting guard Brandon Roy, who posted a PER competitive with Kobe Bryant that season. Roy was joined by forward LaMarcus Aldridge, a budding star, as well as two-headed center monster Groel Odezybilla, who combined for 14 points, 15 rebounds, and 59% shooting from the floor. They were upset in the first round of the playoffs by Houston, but everything was looking up – Roy, Aldridge, Oden, and hot prospect Nic Batum were all 24 or younger. By all accounts they were the team of the future in the Western Conference.

But alas.

Greg Oden injured his knee (again) the following season. He hasn’t stepped onto a court since. Roy’s knees also took a turn for the worse in 2010 – three years later he runs like he’s 82, not 28. Aldridge continued to develop, but the team fell apart around him over the next few years, even as the front office scrambled to re-tool. They eventually decided to cut the cord and dealt Gerald Wallace for a lottery pick and all but gave up on the season. You can’t quite say they “tanked,” but let’s just say that Jonny Flynn and Hasheem Thabeet were prominently involved.

So the Blazers hit the re-set button. They parlayed their two lottery picks into point guard Damian Lillard and center Meyers Leonard (who fill what were two positions of extreme need for Portland). They re-upped with Nic Batum on a long-term deal, which locks up their entire core through 2015.

But here’s the question: if this is their core through 2015, where is it taking them?
http://www.portlandroundballsociety.com/home/2013/3/21/debate-are-the-blazers-locked-into-mediocrity.html

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yes, they should trade Aldridge, try to get a top 3 pick in the 2014

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I wonder what team would be an excellent fit for Aldridge.... The Bucks perhaps?

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Without depth they'll never go anywhere. Do they have a legitimate 2 and is Leonard really the kind of starting center you want?

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think the Blazers have a couple of alright pieces, but they will never be a team that will compete for home court in the playoffs. They don't have any perennial all-stars, Aldridge is a fringe All-Star but he seems to be moving down the latter while other guys move up, I wouldn't even say he's as good as Chris Bosh, he's just not the force you need at that position. I mean he's good, but if he's going to win a title it's going to have to be next to a LeBron James/Kobe Bryant type player where he's the 2nd or 3rd option (think Pau Gasol, and I'm still not sure he's as good as Pau was). Batum may have one good season like Josh Howard and sneak in as a 12th man, but he isn't a All-Star caliber player. Damian Lillard is a guy that will be in the conversation, but will probably be left looking in more times than not. I just don't really see a great foundation, game changer, or franchise changer.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
im not even a believer that lebron leaves from miami so assuming he doesnt, the nba is in a place where if you cant beat the heat, and thunder you wont. to me the fringe contenders are teams like lac, sa, denver, chicago, indiana, and boston. you know the lakers will be there too.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I think they can be if they eventually get healthy. Just so many injury issues they've had to do deal with and now would be a good time to move Aldridge. get a top 5 pick, build a good core and in a year maybe attract a solid player. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
greg monroe for lamarcus. they can have stuckey too, buy him out next season for $3.5M

one can dream.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Monroe+CHA pick for LMA is a pretty good deal actually

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
we have their pick? lol

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i thought they had ours. well damn, if we do have their pick id throw it in a gmoe/lma deal.

man id love that deal.

RManske2

Reaction score
The Blazers have some nice pieces and I think part of being stuck in the middle is being in the Western Conference since if you look at all the teams there.  If they were in the East I might feel a bit better. 

When you look at their team I think they have a guy for the future in Lillard if he can continue to evolve his game.  While I understand why they paid Batum I'm not sure if he is worth that type of deal and LaMarcus is good.  But if you are the Blazers after just blowing up the team a few years ago and trying to rebuild is the franchise (and fans) willing to go through this again? 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Hurricane said:
It's the other way around.
no it's not

The pistons get the pick if its outside the lotto up to 2016 when it becomes unprotected (technically it's like Top 14 protected, then Top 13 protected, then Top 8 protected, then unprotected, but lets be real, it's the bobcats; no way they have a top 9 seed any time soon)

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He meant the Bobcats own the Pistons pick, not the other way around.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Blazers have some nice pieces and I think part of being stuck in the middle is being in the Western Conference since if you look at all the teams there.  If they were in the East I might feel a bit better. 
When you look at their team I think they have a guy for the future in Lillard if he can continue to evolve his game.  While I understand why they paid Batum I'm not sure if he is worth that type of deal and LaMarcus is good.  But if you are the Blazers after just blowing up the team a few years ago and trying to rebuild is the franchise (and fans) willing to go through this again? 

I'm not sure they have much of a choice, if they want to win. Right now would be the best time. Some teams are content such making money and being easy outs in the playoffs though.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's going to sound homerish but trading LMA to the Cavs for our pick this year or Tristan could work for both teams. Blazers start a rebuild again and the Cavs need to get better to impress certain soon to be FAs.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
well it would probably need to be the pick and tristan, not one or the other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%